Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 07:11 AM

160 posts, read 303,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
Sounds like some common trail pants and jeans you can move in will cover pants concerns . End of march !! You might be fine with a heavier pull over shirt and a packable polyester jacket OR bring some mid weight thermal under layer along just encase . shoe/boots - Lite well broken in hicking boots with 100gram thinsulate and some sketters . Be prepared or buy along the way . Temps around Asheville tend to be in the mid 30*s for lows and mid 50*s for highs and humidity should low but all the averages and should be can leave you cold at times so it depends on how much you have climatized to southern Florida's weather . Bring a packable rain gear . We had a lot of rain lately and rain gear acts as a wind break in cooler out . If your hitting Memphis first you can always stop by a bass pro if needed near the severville tn exit when heading Asheville way . We were in T shirts a week back and yesterday rain with snow today , add high humidity and you want a heavy polar fleece jacket with hoody and lite gloves this am and its only 30* . In of march can be the same . We had some of our early garden planted and growing well in mid april but a freeze burnt them back last year in Burnsville above Asheville
I'm just looking for something loose enough to not restrict my stride, but tight enough where it won't get caught up in the chain. Coming from SoFL, pants rarely enter the equation, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 10:39 AM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
Hit the Mast Store...tech pants of all varieties available.
And, give your first few rides 'at altitude' an easy go.
GL, mD

Old 03-08-2018, 06:49 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Quote:
Sounds like some common trail pants and jeans you can move in will cover pants concerns . End of march !! You might be fine with a heavier pull over shirt and a packable polyester jacket OR bring some mid weight thermal under layer along just encase . shoe/boots - Lite well broken in hicking boots with 100gram thinsulate and some sketters . Be prepared or buy along the way . Temps around Asheville tend to be in the mid 30*s for lows and mid 50*s for highs and humidity should low but all the averages and should be can leave you cold at times so it depends on how much you have climatized to southern Florida's weather . Bring a packable rain gear . We had a lot of rain lately and rain gear acts as a wind break in cooler out . If your hitting Memphis first you can always stop by a bass pro if needed near the severville tn exit when heading Asheville way . We were in T shirts a week back and yesterday rain with snow today , add high humidity and you want a heavy polar fleece jacket with hoody and lite gloves this am and its only 30* . In of march can be the same . We had some of our early garden planted and growing well in mid april but a freeze burnt them back last year in Burnsville above Asheville
Jeans on a 50 mile mt. bike ride?! Um, no thanks!

Old 03-08-2018, 06:51 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFIVEOH View Post
I'm just looking for something loose enough to not restrict my stride, but tight enough where it won't get caught up in the chain. Coming from SoFL, pants rarely enter the equation, lol.
Are you an experienced mt. bike rider? Have you worn something other than biking pants with a seamless insert before?

Old 03-08-2018, 08:14 PM

81 posts, read 67,519 times
Most riders I see (and I see a lot, in decent weather we must mountain bike at least 4 times a week) wear these type of things. I don't have any preference for any of these brands, but my wife bought me some Troy Lee branded ones for Fathers Day and they work well. You should be able to get anything you need at REI, Motion Makers, Carolina Fatz, Sycamore Bikes, The Hub, Amazon, etc.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topic...in-bike-shorts

Old 03-22-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Are you an experienced mt. bike rider? Have you worn something other than biking pants with a seamless insert before?
I'm not really a trail rider, I like the mountain bike so I can take it on all terrains. I've got a couple thousand miles on this bike. I've always worn shorts.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Hit the Mast Store...tech pants of all varieties available.
And, give your first few rides 'at altitude' an easy go.
GL, mD
Yeah, I've noticed the lack of oxygen coming from 13 feet above sea level. I expected it, although it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

Old 03-23-2018, 05:37 AM

789 posts, read 785,095 times
JJFIVEOH I spent my first 42 years in naples fl building homes for 20 years down in port royal before moving to WNC and never understood the no jeans thing down there if you work hard for a living and something like dockers or columbia after work !! The transplants that did not cover up tended to get burnt up and suffered quicker from dehydration .

Gon'a ride 50 miles ! Well most adults can figure out what to wear, right. Trial and error works well tell you if you picked right but pack a little something extra for those just in case times till you figure out what you need . Being from south florida I find most times when temps are in 30's up here and humidity is low I only need a long sleave heavy shirt and mid weight jeans or heavy trail pants is all I need if doing anything other than rocking on the porch !! Sorta seems like a common sense thing to find out what you need doesn't it . Others I work with may be bundled up in the low 30's . I never said ride a bike in jeans , YOU did so by now you should have it all figured out .

I'm one of the few that rides motorcycles when colder and in the 20* and 30* range and do it with out electric riding suits like the BMW guys tend to wear . Not bad for a old guy from south florida .

Fashion sense is what You make of it . Most folks I see peddling around wear padded shorts with a loose trail pants over them and some kind of wind resistant shirt or lite jacket when cooler and a small pack with a water bladder and ?? . Watch the down hill decreasing radius turns in some mountain areas till you know a blind curve . I saw an older man go down on 80-s below the blue ridge park way about 12 years back when he had to slow quickly to the point he was no longer counter steering a curve , to much brake trying to stay in his lane and high sided from his bike . He did not make it .

Last edited by hardluk1; 03-23-2018 at 05:46 AM..

Old 03-24-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
JJFIVEOH I spent my first 42 years in naples fl building homes for 20 years down in port royal before moving to WNC and never understood the no jeans thing down there if you work hard for a living and something like dockers or columbia after work !! The transplants that did not cover up tended to get burnt up and suffered quicker from dehydration .

Gon'a ride 50 miles ! Well most adults can figure out what to wear, right. Trial and error works well tell you if you picked right but pack a little something extra for those just in case times till you figure out what you need . Being from south florida I find most times when temps are in 30's up here and humidity is low I only need a long sleave heavy shirt and mid weight jeans or heavy trail pants is all I need if doing anything other than rocking on the porch !! Sorta seems like a common sense thing to find out what you need doesn't it . Others I work with may be bundled up in the low 30's . I never said ride a bike in jeans , YOU did so by now you should have it all figured out .

I'm one of the few that rides motorcycles when colder and in the 20* and 30* range and do it with out electric riding suits like the BMW guys tend to wear . Not bad for a old guy from south florida .

Fashion sense is what You make of it . Most folks I see peddling around wear padded shorts with a loose trail pants over them and some kind of wind resistant shirt or lite jacket when cooler and a small pack with a water bladder and ?? . Watch the down hill decreasing radius turns in some mountain areas till you know a blind curve . I saw an older man go down on 80-s below the blue ridge park way about 12 years back when he had to slow quickly to the point he was no longer counter steering a curve , to much brake trying to stay in his lane and high sided from his bike . He did not make it .
I'm the same way, I grew up in Buffalo so I'm a cold weather person. Never got used to the Florida heat after 22 years. I can walk around here in jeans and a T-shirt when it's low 40's. Light jacket when it gets 30's. Maybe a fleece jacket if it's colder and windy. When I was looking for a home, I checked out a few in Asheville, I was staying at an AirBNB in Waynesville, so I decided to take the Parkway to Asheville on my motorcycle. This was in November.

I didn't say I wanted to wear jeans, I want to avoid wearing jeans. They just don't allow for any movement, and most are baggy so end up getting caught in the chain, or at the very least get covered in grease. I was just looking for something a little snug in the ankle, but not a skin tight biking suit/pants. I ended up going to the local sports store and got some athletic pants that have a tighter ankle area. Now I'm just waiting on shoes I ordered because I left my biking shoes at home.

I'm not a professional rider, I'm not the type to put on a $500 outfit and go riding in packs. I'm an athletic, casual rider who cruises all over and will go as many miles as I feel like once I get going. I might plan on 20 miles and if I feel like it, I'll just keep on going. Hitting 50 miles here, it's going to be a while. I was a 4 day/wk gym member for 12 years, but between moving I've lost significant time so it will take a while to get back up to par. I just want to cruise around town on a cool day and shorts won't cut it this time of year.

Old 03-25-2018, 05:15 PM

789 posts, read 785,095 times
There you go again putting word to print like I types them like 500 dollars outfit ?? Wow . For me that might be a lite polypropylene jacket and pants to pull over what I have on . Modern day sweats !! I might have 500 bucks in boots and layed out gear I wear still hunting in northern Canada when 10* would be a good day .

I have seen mountain bikes wearing a type of jeans or canvas pants with reinforce and padded points on them with Velcro on the cuffs . Now those might get to 500 bucks .

I've worked additions to homes when it was -5* in a mid weight polypropylene thermals jeans and a poly sweat jacket with face mask 400gram boots and lite gloves but have a insulated coverall just in case in the truck . Cruising in shorts may not get it most of the year but doesn't this all go back to common sense learned choices ! Specially for a person from Chicago .

There use to be a place in bakersville nc that was a riders destination , from Asheville to bakersville was a 50 mile ride . Bicycle inn - Seemed like they also owned a bike shop in Asheville assuming there still in business . This was 15 years ago I read an article on it . Here's a link I found if you haven't all ready -
Bicycle Inn - Asheville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina