Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2016, 08:26 AM

1 posts, read 962 times

Advertisements

Greetings,
My family is looking to move to WNC within the year. I have 2 daughters, 3 and 4. My youngest is very high functioning autism spectrum disorder. I am wondering if anyone can provide insight into the schools and amenities in the area. Ideally, I wanted to find a school with a montessori/waldorf/natural flavor to it, but think that only exists in Asheville. Also, can children in Haywood county apply for Asheville charters? If so, is the commute bearable? Has anyone had any experience with a child with an IEP?
My husband is an airline pilot, so I am on my own with the kids much of the time and would like to find out if there is a strong sense of community and/or things I can get myself and the kids involved in. We currently live in Delray Beach, FL and enjoy the museums, beach, parks and nature areas with other local moms and kids. We were just there looking at properties near Lake Junaluska and around town. It is gorgeous to be sure, but I'm nervous about making new friends... I checked FB and meetup and I worry we might be the odd men out there. I'd love any input or advice! Thank you in advance! 😁
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 09:52 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,745 times
Honestly WNC and NC as a whole really lacks help and support for autism. I would not move here if you are needing services. My best friend works for the only nonprofit that is here and it's pretty bad. She would tell you not to move here. In fact I've even seen this played out as we had a family in our kids group who was diagnosised and they ended moving back to Florida due to lack of services here.

A commute between waynesville and Asheville would be an hour each way every day. Pretty unrealistic with children. Furthermore, Waynesville as a whole is retiree based and would not be the best option for you to find kid friendly activities. If you are determined to be in WNC you'd be much better off in the Asheville/Hendersonville area.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:14 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthi View Post
Greetings,
My family is looking to move to WNC within the year. I have 2 daughters, 3 and 4. My youngest is very high functioning autism spectrum disorder. I am wondering if anyone can provide insight into the schools and amenities in the area. Ideally, I wanted to find a school with a montessori/waldorf/natural flavor to it, but think that only exists in Asheville. Also, can children in Haywood county apply for Asheville charters? If so, is the commute bearable? Has anyone had any experience with a child with an IEP?
My husband is an airline pilot, so I am on my own with the kids much of the time and would like to find out if there is a strong sense of community and/or things I can get myself and the kids involved in. We currently live in Delray Beach, FL and enjoy the museums, beach, parks and nature areas with other local moms and kids. We were just there looking at properties near Lake Junaluska and around town. It is gorgeous to be sure, but I'm nervous about making new friends... I checked FB and meetup and I worry we might be the odd men out there. I'd love any input or advice! Thank you in advance! ��

Here are a few resources in the Asheville area that may be of help:

https://www.myautismteam.com/provide...5Bradius%5D=10

Asheville Area

Asheville Center

Asheville Center

Making friends is one of the nicest things about this area; people are more laid back and friendly, very neighborly. Very community oriented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina