Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2008, 10:39 AM

8 posts, read 28,238 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good General Contractor near the Murphy area? We are building a timber frame home and are in the process of looking for a GC.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 04:50 PM

93 posts, read 370,901 times
You could try James B Cook 828-835-8899. Builds custom homes in the area also goes under name of Haven Home Builders . We have not used him yet but will when Florida recovers from the mess it's in.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:14 PM

442 posts, read 1,508,948 times
I have recently received a quote from the Asheville rep for Timberpeg.com. I am pretty sure they cover all of WNC. Their product looks excellent and their quote was in line with one other (that I have received so far). We saw one of their homes on the cover of Timber Home Living and fell in love with the stucco cottage they designed. We will view one of their homes in late March when we visit. I'd be interested in hearing recommendations for competent builders (but closer to Asheville) from people who have direct experience.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:27 PM
vq1

134 posts, read 682,825 times
Right down the road (US64) 25 miles is Franklin, NC, the epicenter for timber-frame building in the southeast. Two quickly come to mind and I would highly recommend that you check out their websites: Cabin Creek Cabin Creek Timber Frames - Design and building timber frame homes and other post and beam timber frame structures such as barns, cabins, porches, churches etc. Offering high quality standard timber frames as well as custom-designed timber frame home and Jeff Johnson Jeff Johnson Timber Frames -- Building Timber Frame Homes and Standard Timber Frames - Quality Post and Beam Timber Frame Construction

Either of them would handle everything for you, if that is what you wanted.

Good luck!

Old 05-18-2009, 05:51 PM

73 posts, read 276,962 times
http://www.mycustomhome.org/page/page/5014893.htmCheck (broken link) them out. They are near Murphy, out of Franklin. The permit on our house was pulled in December and we expect a CO by early June. Our house is in the 2009 contruction section and, in all modesty, is the one with the absolutely stunning view.Good luck.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:56 AM

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. We started building in December with Riverbend Timberframe helping us design the house and supply the timbers. Berg Mountain home is my GC. So far everything has been great. If you want to build a timberframe contact Bill Berg and he will show you our place.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:25 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtomurphy View Post
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. We started building in December with Riverbend Timberframe helping us design the house and supply the timbers. Berg Mountain home is my GC. So far everything has been great. If you want to build a timberframe contact Bill Berg and he will show you our place.
I'd be interested to know your price per square foot?

Old 05-20-2009, 10:15 AM

Asking for a sqft price is tricky at best. Basically the timberframe package and SIP walls were about 70$/sqft and to finish the house etc is about $180 sqft. Just remember it all comes down to fit and finish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina