Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 11:02 AM

730 posts, read 774,727 times

Advertisements

Unless your AGi is over $150K single or $300K join filer then your state income taxes are deductible from your federal income taxes. If you're not in the top 2% of income earners then state income taxes shouldn't effect your annual bottom line after filing your federal income taxes just your monthly bring home. The same thing applies to property taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 05:08 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,977,206 times
I take the standard deduction... since I own my house, there is no mortgage, and without that to add to the state (and county) taxes, I don't have enough to deduct.

It's true the state will always get you somewhere. Most states without income taxes have higher sales and property taxes.

Still - I like the low income tax model. It doesn't impede your desire to earn and succeed. If you want to have more expensive stuff, you can pay tax for buying or owning it.

One other thing about Tennessee - for some time there was ambiguity whether the no-income-tax would survive. It was based on very old court precedents that might be overturned under new interpretations. But a few years ago the no-income-tax situation was placed into the Tennesee constitution under a referendum. It is something you can count on, now.

New Hampshire is the only other state in the east aside from Florida, without an income tax. They tried to add it to their constitution recently, but it takes a very tough 2/3 vote to do it, and I think the vote was 57% or so. You have to "trust" the legislature there not to implement one, if you move.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:47 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
Plus making 100k or 300k combined is damn near impossible there lol.
See what your salary in Asheville would be, first and foremost.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:24 PM

231 posts, read 228,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Of course not. There are state exemptions and allowances to subtract from the gross, just like federal taxes. I can't really help with actual amount, because we have mainly Sociual Security income, and it is mostly exempt. We paid only $36 in state income tax last year.

You should really look at the total picture, including how much you would pay in property taxes, sales taxes and hurricane insurance in Florida. Then look at the better quality of life you would have in North Carolina.
Thanks. I know property tax is less in NC. Sales tax is the same, maybe more because there is tax on groceries.

I haven't looked into home owners insurance yet...hopefully that is less.

I do think quality of life may be better in NC.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
Plus making 100k or 300k combined is damn near impossible there lol.
See what your salary in Asheville would be, first and foremost.
I'm self employed and bringing out of state money into NC. But the state income tax of NC makes me think twice about moving. The savings in property tax won't make up for the increase in states income tax I'll have to pay. The sales tax is similar. Vehicle tax is more in NC too by a few dollars.

Old 11-01-2016, 03:51 AM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Stay in FL..."out of state money":
GL, mD

Last edited by motordavid; 11-01-2016 at 04:46 AM..

Old 11-01-2016, 08:33 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal77 View Post
Thanks. I know property tax is less in NC. Sales tax is the same, maybe more because there is tax on groceries.

I haven't looked into home owners insurance yet...hopefully that is less.

I do think quality of life may be better in NC.
Quality of life just depends. I live in Seminole Co, which when you consider safety, schools and income level among residents... You pretty much cannot find in WNC. Pay is awful in Asheville as well.

But if you're looking at Asheville and moving from, say, Opa Locka or a run down area with high crime Etc... Then yes, definitely.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Stay in FL..."out of state money":
GL, mD
What's that supposed to mean? You don't want people earning their money from other states?

Old 11-08-2016, 08:44 AM

96 posts, read 112,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal77 View Post
I'm in Florida considering moving to NC. The idea of a state income tax is bewildering.

Someone who makes $100,000 per year would really pay $5,750 to the state?

I wish we could find a great city in eastern Tennessee to live in, but we like NC better.

I am in exactly the same mindset as you. There are many other fees/charges that NC has that Fl does not, it seems that the taxes paid by the Mouse House here in Orlando really balances out some costs for the residents.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStark View Post
I am in exactly the same mindset as you. There are many other fees/charges that NC has that Fl does not, it seems that the taxes paid by the Mouse House here in Orlando really balances out some costs for the residents.
Exactly. Plus people come here by the millions just to go to the beaches.

But I'm done with this heat and flat land
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina