Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 04:22 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,608,885 times

Advertisements

Cable access/broad band availability varies considerably in some mtn areas of western NC, as in one area will have it and a group of houses close by will not...

Charter/Spectrum is just 'down' our road about a half mile, but that's where it stopped before we moved here 15+ yrs ago. I won't live long enough to see cable/real broad band up here in our community of ~25 homes.

A call to the RE agent or HOA in that specific area should give you the info.
GL, mD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2016, 06:02 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,349,724 times
I am also interested in Transylvania County.

Old 11-06-2016, 05:07 AM

526 posts, read 459,911 times
Hendersonville.
AT&T U-verse, I am supposed to pay $54.00 per month but occasionally get charged $63.00 and have never been late in my life and they never have a reason why it happens as it's always a glitch. This is supposed to be up to 6mbps and never get near 3, it's down several times per month for as long as hours to days. I initially had phone service but it has NEVER EVER WORKED for longer than a few hours and hasn't worked since they changed it to U-Verse years ago.

Old 11-07-2016, 12:26 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,968,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by it simplified View Post
Will cable go out as far as Connestee Falls?

you might oughta call and check, but Ive got a few buddies that work for Comporium and I'm reasonably certain theyve told me they are putting it in in Connestee as well.

Old 11-07-2016, 03:01 PM

117 posts, read 228,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
you might oughta call and check, but Ive got a few buddies that work for Comporium and I'm reasonably certain theyve told me they are putting it in in Connestee as well.
A Realtor who specializes in Connestee said this:

"There is no fiber here currently, If they added it it would only be run on the west end, they currently have no cable at all."

With that answer being more vague than helpful, I called Comporium in Brevard and asked about current and proposed service in Connestee Falls. Her answers were address specific.

First, there is not currently any cable there. It is all DSL over phone lines. The speeds and prices quoted to me for current DSL service are as follows:

7 mbps: $46.95
9 mbps: $59.95
11 mbps: $74.95

These are all download speeds.

The good news is that cable IS being installed in Connestee Falls. The rep said it will be ready in my location "within a few months." I tried to pin her down and the best I could get was 3 to 6 months; definitely within the year.

The rep quoted the proposed cable prices to me as follows:

15 mbps down; 1.5 up: $54,94
60 mbps down; 3 up: $64.94
100 mbps down; 5 up: $79.94

The Comporium rep I spoke with was eager to please and gave me a direct line number to call when I am ready to subscribe. They would like to have at least 2 weeks notice. Based on my brief experience thus far, yes, I would recommend them.

Last edited by it simplified; 11-07-2016 at 04:02 PM..

Old 11-08-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by it simplified View Post
A Realtor who specializes in Connestee said this:

"There is no fiber here currently, If they added it it would only be run on the west end, they currently have no cable at all."

With that answer being more vague than helpful, I called Comporium in Brevard and asked about current and proposed service in Connestee Falls. Her answers were address specific.

First, there is not currently any cable there. It is all DSL over phone lines. The speeds and prices quoted to me for current DSL service are as follows:

7 mbps: $46.95
9 mbps: $59.95
11 mbps: $74.95

These are all download speeds.

The good news is that cable IS being installed in Connestee Falls. The rep said it will be ready in my location "within a few months." I tried to pin her down and the best I could get was 3 to 6 months; definitely within the year.

The rep quoted the proposed cable prices to me as follows:

15 mbps down; 1.5 up: $54,94
60 mbps down; 3 up: $64.94
100 mbps down; 5 up: $79.94

The Comporium rep I spoke with was eager to please and gave me a direct line number to call when I am ready to subscribe. They would like to have at least 2 weeks notice. Based on my brief experience thus far, yes, I would recommend them.

yeah the Cable project started(county wide) probably two years ago now. I'm about 10 minutes down the mountain from Connesstee and it'll be available here in a couple months.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:32 PM

13 posts, read 12,203 times
@It Simplified, @Wcu25rs

Did Comporium ever extend cable internet service to your area? If so, what is your current speed, and are you happy with the service.

Thanks in advance,

Old 01-14-2019, 08:07 PM

902 posts, read 807,969 times
A. Are you replying about JUST internet... Yes, internet only. Stream video w/PS Vue on 5 devices.
1. What do you pay for Internet.......... $40 plus tax
2. What company............................... Spectrum
3. What city (or county if you prefer).. Weaverville (Main St.)
4. What speeds do you get................ 138 down / 11 up (wireless 5 Ghz band)
5. Are you happy with the company... Yes. No issues.
Attached Thumbnails
What do you pay for JUST Internet; what company; what city; what speeds; and would you recommend them-screenshot-2019-01-14-10.05.57-pm.png  

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 01-14-2019 at 08:17 PM..

Old 01-15-2019, 08:27 AM

376 posts, read 499,995 times
I dont live in any of the counties that OP mentioned. But I do live in Macon county and live well outside the city limits of Franklin and have Morris broadband.

We paid $150 for 108 down/5 up but I knew there were upgrades going on so I called in and they came out and upgraded the modem for free. We now get 500 mbps down and 20 mbps for the same $150.

Thats right, half of a gigabit down, outside of Franklin NC..... wow.

Its pretty insane that my upload is faster than the vast majority of peoples downloads in WNC.

Last edited by juggar; 01-15-2019 at 08:44 AM..

Old 01-15-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordwoodcroft View Post
@It Simplified, @Wcu25rs

Did Comporium ever extend cable internet service to your area? If so, what is your current speed, and are you happy with the service.

Thanks in advance,
yeah we've had cable internet for I guess over a year now. Ive got the midgrade package and I think the speed is 30ish mbps. Yeah Ive been happy with the service. Comporium gets alot of hate for their service(and I agree they are a monopoly that needs competition for pricing alone), but Ive honestly only had an issue or two in the 11 years that Ive had internet through them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina