U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 01:00 PM

118 posts, read 238,294 times

Advertisements

Hello, ladies and gents. I'm talking up my Foster Town of Burnsville, NC. For many, many years it's been known as a quaint little backwater town. Not much to see or do. But today is absolutely not the case. Let me make the case for my town; having lived here full time for 2 years now. I'm NOT a realtor; I'm just bragging up my new hometown. It's a good little thread on what you can expect.......

1. The Highway 19 Project: Has FINALLY been completed in Burnsville all the way to the Micaville Loop. For YEARS we suffered through Orange Cone syndrome; one lane roads. Dust, dirt, debris. Frustrating long waits to get through just a few square miles. NO MORE. Last month, the general contractor FINALLY finished their end of the bargain after multiple extensions. We now are a full 4-lane state route..... easy-squeezy. It's a 45 to 50 minute commute to Asheville.

2. Employment Is Improving: Altec Industries on the far west side of town has just completed a major expansion and is hiring - literally - over two hundred new jobs for painters, welders, and laborers. $14 starting wage for semi-skilled workers and people willing to train....... I believe they are offering a bennies package as well. New businesses in the service industries are now open. To name a few: Rad Dawgs, Snap Dragon, Garden Deli, The Nu-Wray Inn, Blind Squirrel Brewery Outpost..... AND a new full BREWERY operation has just been given the go-ahead to begin construction in the old town center are.

3. We're FAR Cheaper Than Asheville: Average renting cost is around $600-625 for a two bedroom unit. There's some very good buying opportunities for 150K or even less if you're clever. (Example: I bought a turn-key ready, year round cabin and an acre of land for LESS than 100K.......) Try getting turn-key properties at THAT kind of price ANYWHERE in Buncombe County......

4. Quality Of Living: Low crime rate; below the U.S. average...... Taxes are far lower than Buncombe, even lower than Madison County. Four full seasons. Average temperature is about 4 degrees lower than Asheville. Relaxed, friendly people live here. There's an Ingles here, (We've got a Starbucks!) as well as a few other grocery markets like Fred's and Sav-Mor Foods. We've got the usual suspects for fast food: McDonalds, Burger King, Subway........ Two to three gas stations on the east and west end of town. Only 12 miles to full service Mission Hospital; east of us in Spruce Pine........ This is a conservative town with about 1700 people; but I've yet to see or hear of anyone cussed out, beaten, or ostracized for their beliefs......

So my friends....... Come up and see us, give us some consideration....... We're starting to grow; slowly but surely. Any questions, by all means: Ask. I will give you very bluntly honest, yet straightforward answers. Be well, be safe.......
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 02:03 PM

1,856 posts, read 2,776,467 times
What are your hours at the Chamber????? Lol lol

Old 11-17-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
What are your hours at the Chamber????? Lol lol
Do you mean at the Town Hall in the town center square?

Old 11-17-2016, 03:36 PM

3,063 posts, read 2,905,444 times
More like Randy or Nancy at the Celo Inn

Old 11-17-2016, 04:01 PM

2,667 posts, read 1,596,158 times
I have a friend who moved there before we moved up to the Canton area from Raleigh. She loves it and has a gorgeous place and view.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:35 PM

1,348 posts, read 613,115 times
blackandgold - thanks for the description. Always good to acquire more info and atmosphere about other parts of WNC.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:14 PM

20,541 posts, read 21,178,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandgold978 View Post
The Highway 19 Project: Has FINALLY been completed in Burnsville all the way to the Micaville Loop. For YEARS we suffered through Orange Cone syndrome; one lane roads. Dust, dirt, debris. Frustrating long waits to get through just a few square miles. NO MORE. Last month, the general contractor FINALLY finished their end of the bargain after multiple extensions. We now are a full 4-lane state route..... easy-squeezy. It's a 45 to 50 minute commute to Asheville.
Is United States Highway 19 East is finally four lanes from Interstate 26 to Spruce Pine?

Old 11-18-2016, 08:40 AM

470 posts, read 719,118 times
I think you make a good case. We've been looking at Burnsville and Spruce Pine, but not sure we want that far of a drive to Asheville. Considering, though. We live in Fairview now. Ok, let's see how blunt you really are. How friendly are people around there to outsiders? Will they have a conversation with anyone? It's been my experience many small towns are really closed-minded and judgemental, but some don't really judge and are more live and let live.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:21 AM

Carolina Knight - The project is still under construction past Burnsville; once you get to the 80 Intersection, it goes back down to 2 lanes......BUT the contractor, Wright Brothers, is moving along at a fast pace. Much faster than sorry Young and McQueen; who did the Burnsville portion.

Bilbono - I see and hear strangers strike up convos all the time here. The Barber Shops, Restaurants, inside Ingles....... It's a conservative town, but a very friendly one. Your name and face tend to get out quick in a town of just 1700 people......

Old 11-20-2016, 05:01 PM

20,541 posts, read 21,178,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandgold978 View Post
The project is still under construction past Burnsville; once you get to the 80 Intersection, it goes back down to 2 lanes......BUT the contractor, Wright Brothers, is moving along at a fast pace. Much faster than sorry Young and McQueen; who did the Burnsville portion.
When is the phase from State Highway 80 North in Yancey County to Lawson Drive and Greenwood Road in Mitchell County projected for completion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or