U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-28-2008, 11:29 AM

21 posts, read 122,903 times
Question Campgrounds Near Boone NC?

Hello All!

This is my first post in your part of the forum.

Late July we have a family reunion in Boone NC (well Technically its Barely outside Boone, but that is the closest "Larger" city)

We will be camping this year, with our pop up camper and a few tents. We have stayed in the Grandfather Mountain Campground a few times and we have decided that we would like to try something different this year.

I have been searching for campgrounds and my searches are coming up pretty small. I have only been able to find a handful of campgrounds (about 6) in the close vicinity. I feel like there should be more than I am not finding.

We will be staying for one week. with 3 people for the first night or two. then 3 more will be joining us. We also have 2 dogs.

We were hoping to find a cabin with restrooms inside of them, that way we wouldnt have to tow the pop up all the way from Florida.

My Question for you "locals" or "well educated on the area", is

What campground would you recommend for My family and I. We will consider travel time for Nicer accommodations.

Thank you Everybody ahead of time.

Im sure your input will be Great!

Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 01:03 PM

43,275 posts, read 51,756,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icystrz View Post
Hello All!

This is my first post in your part of the forum.

Late July we have a family reunion in Boone NC (well Technically its Barely outside Boone, but that is the closest "Larger" city)

We will be camping this year, with our pop up camper and a few tents. We have stayed in the Grandfather Mountain Campground a few times and we have decided that we would like to try something different this year.

I have been searching for campgrounds and my searches are coming up pretty small. I have only been able to find a handful of campgrounds (about 6) in the close vicinity. I feel like there should be more than I am not finding.

We will be staying for one week. with 3 people for the first night or two. then 3 more will be joining us. We also have 2 dogs.

We were hoping to find a cabin with restrooms inside of them, that way we wouldnt have to tow the pop up all the way from Florida.

My Question for you "locals" or "well educated on the area", is

What campground would you recommend for My family and I. We will consider travel time for Nicer accommodations.

Thank you Everybody ahead of time.

Im sure your input will be Great!

Hate to tell you Icy, the camping options are on the sparse side near Boone. Grandfather Mt is most likely going to be your best bet, or you will have to drive too far. There is nice camping to be found down in Wilkesboro at Kerr Scott Lake - but that would be about 45 minutes away. Here is the info just in case you want it: Kerr Scott Visitor Guide

You could also try the SteeleCreek Campground just southwest of Grandfather Mt on hwy 181: Steele Creek Park & Campground, Morganton, NC, Waterslide, Camping, Miniature Golf, Swings, Playground, Linville Falls, Grandfather Mountain (broken link)

Old 02-28-2008, 04:59 PM

508 posts, read 967,466 times
Try the Flintlock campground on NC-105. It's closer in than Grandfather. Flintlock Campground

Also, don't forget the parkway. Julian Price Park is close to the Moses Cone Estate and Blowing Rock. There is an unpublished access road nearby called Holloway Mountain Rd that will take you either to US-221 and Blowing Rock, or down to NC-105 in Foscoe. All the locals know it, but very few tourists do.

There is also a KOA Kampground off of Hwy 194 just North of Boone. Boone, North Carolina - KOA Campground

Vanderpool Campground is outside of Boone in Vilas ('bout 8 miles out)
Vanderppol Campground, Boone, NC, North Carolina; RV camping, tent camping, camp store, full hook-ups; Blowing Rock, Banner Elk, NC

And there's Appalachian Campground (no website that I could find, on Hwy 194 north of Boone) 828-264-4505 I'm not real sure they're still in business though.

There's a few more but they are primarily RV sites. All of the sites I listed are in Watauga County (I think Price Park is, but it might not be. The county line does strange things up there!).

Hope this helps!
Tracey
Also an avid tent camper!

Old 02-28-2008, 08:14 PM

43,275 posts, read 51,756,487 times
Have you ever camped at Flintlock? I would never recommend this place. It is literally right on the highway so you hear loud truck noises/motorcycles revving all night long! This is the least relaxing campground I have ever been to.

Additionally, unless they want to rough it a bit more (which it doesn't sound like they do) Julian Price Park is also not for them. There are no bathhouses there - kind of rough not to have a place to shower for the week. Since they are hoping for some kind of "cabin" and not a tent their best bet closest to Boone really is Grandfather Mountain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hymnsinger View Post
Try the Flintlock campground on NC-105. It's closer in than Grandfather. Flintlock Campground

Also, don't forget the parkway. Julian Price Park is close to the Moses Cone Estate and Blowing Rock. There is an unpublished access road nearby called Holloway Mountain Rd that will take you either to US-221 and Blowing Rock, or down to NC-105 in Foscoe. All the locals know it, but very few tourists do.

There is also a KOA Kampground off of Hwy 194 just North of Boone. Boone, North Carolina - KOA Campground

Vanderpool Campground is outside of Boone in Vilas ('bout 8 miles out)
Vanderppol Campground, Boone, NC, North Carolina; RV camping, tent camping, camp store, full hook-ups; Blowing Rock, Banner Elk, NC

And there's Appalachian Campground (no website that I could find, on Hwy 194 north of Boone) 828-264-4505 I'm not real sure they're still in business though.

There's a few more but they are primarily RV sites. All of the sites I listed are in Watauga County (I think Price Park is, but it might not be. The county line does strange things up there!).

Hope this helps!
Tracey
Also an avid tent camper!

Old 03-01-2008, 06:34 PM

936 posts, read 2,164,192 times
Developed Sites on the Blue Ridge Parkway
Price Campground near the Cone House on the BRP is about seven miles from Boone.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:18 AM

2,657 posts, read 4,685,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Have you ever camped at Flintlock? I would never recommend this place. It is literally right on the highway so you hear loud truck noises/motorcycles revving all night long! This is the least relaxing campground I have ever been to.
I Yi Yi, do I ever agree

The name didn't wring a bell until I checked out the website. Perhaps the campground was built before so much development descended on the area; it's definitely not a quiet place, now. The traffic is such that getting in and out can be scary as well. It would be a picturesque spot were it not for the adjacent road noise.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:32 AM

92 posts, read 230,957 times
Thumbs up Camping near Boone

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Hate to tell you Icy, the camping options are on the sparse side near Boone. ......
You could also try the SteeleCreek Campground just southwest of Grandfather Mt on hwy 181: Steele Creek Park & Campground, Morganton, NC, Waterslide, Camping, Miniature Golf, Swings, Playground, Linville Falls, Grandfather Mountain (broken link)
I concur! There are four campgrounds on 181 heading up towards Boone. I can personally vouch for Steele Creek (noted above). Our family stayed there on our way up to Banner Elk for the Woolie Worm Festival last October and had an excellent time - so much so that we plan on coming back this summer for a week. Google "Boone camping"

We can also vouch for the Boone KOA. At this KOA, as with most, there are alot of permanent year round campers. But this KOA is right outside of town and is in a simply beautiful location. Warning - the pool is unheated though! BRRR!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina