Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 02:27 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,301,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Crazy View Post
Koolaid - I think you should read my post again. You are assuming that those transplants were "a bull in a china shop" and some probably were. But, like I said, I'll bet many were not, but were simply interesting in interacting with open minds and did not find those so easy to come by. There is a strain of defensiveness in the Southeastern US that is something to behold. I haven't encountered anything quite like in other places I've lived or traveled.
Actually, many of those transplants are "a bull in a china shop". And you sound like one too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 02:37 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,269,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
thanks this is very helpful to think of. I have gotten a ton of useful information from this thread into varying thoughts and opinions and it seems really helpful.

I think at least in my opinion there is a difference between an honest conversation of trying to relate to a certain activity of simply saying "oh I see, I am used to doing it a different way back up north" which can be pretty innocent and just trying to relate in conversation vs. "you guys are doing it wrong, I know how it should be, this is how we do it up north, you guys don't know any better, i'll help you" which I can justifiably see why that would quickly annoy the locals being so arrogant and how it would alienate you from everyone else.

Does that make any sense?
I don't think either way would work too well. Just observe, smile, or do it your own way. Just be gracious in word or deed

Old 02-03-2017, 03:13 PM

1,348 posts, read 785,451 times
"Actually, many of those transplants are "a bull in a china shop". And you sound like one too."
--- LOL! Do you see how quickly my point about defensiveness was proven? Can't make this stuff up!

Old 02-03-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
"Actually, many of those transplants are "a bull in a china shop". And you sound like one too."
--- LOL! Do you see how quickly my point about defensiveness was proven? Can't make this stuff up!
LOL! See how quickly MY point about being a bull in a china shop was proven? I can't make that stuff up either. So thanks for your help!

Old 02-06-2017, 06:34 AM

526 posts, read 456,018 times
I wasn't going to comment being a yank and all but most can tell a yank a mile away and of the ones I've met most are like a bull in a china shop. I commented about the NJ yank calling the law on folks with guns, I also posted about the few who lived in my area.
Most just move from their high taxed over regulated areas then want to bring it here with them. LOL! Most don't want change just the lower cost of living is all.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:06 PM

73 posts, read 119,194 times
Just to throw out another area....take a look at Hiawassee, ga and Blairesville ga...you will find so much help on this forum...we moved in October to hiawassee from Charleston SC. I started out thinking one area but after a year of scouring the internet.....pounding the keys on this forum....looking at probably 40 homes in NC and GA we ultimately found the home that needed us in Hiawassee. If you want to pm me I'll share some info and sites. Ask thoughtful questions that make sense and these folks will not steer you wrong. Everyone who responded to me helped me make an informed decision and we couldn't be happier! I'm not in WNC but I'm close!

Old 02-17-2017, 12:54 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,726,994 times
Quote:
There is a strain of defensiveness in the Southeastern US that is something to behold. I haven't encountered anything quite like in other places I've lived or traveled.
And defensiveness comes from years of being faced with "offensiveness". You can't deny that Southerners are still portrayed in the media, movies, TV as "rednecks", "backwards" and/or "religious fanatics" with no "schoolin'". Read any kind of news item that takes place in a Southern state and read the comments--eventually you will come across "Well what do they expect, it's the South?" (always in some very stereotypical, negative way). Loving the South and appreciating its (more polite, genteel, friendly) culture is equated with being racist and/or "Still fighting the Civil War". Funny, the only people I hear even mention the Civil War are Northerners...

Those of us who have lived our whole lives in NC have grown up with a steady stream of people, mostly Northerners, moving here and while many assimilate to the culture, a great many indicate shock and condescension that "You mean you don't do things exactly like we do? What kind of backwoods place IS this?? I can't believe you don't even have a [insert name of Northeastern store chain here]!" This stereotype of Northerners, particularly NY/NJ, did not materialize out of thin air (and I hear it from folks in other parts of the country, too, like the Midwest and West Coast, about Northeasterners), so native Southerners have learned to grow weary and yes, defensive when yet another newcomer from those regions shows up. Hopefully, the initial encounter will be friendly on both sides and the Southerner will relax a little, but it's a conditioned reaction to often DECADES of having to hear one's own part of the country put down in subtle and not-so-subtle ways by people who mostly chose to move there in the first place.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by francois View Post
and defensiveness comes from years of being faced with "offensiveness". You can't deny that southerners are still portrayed in the media, movies, tv as "rednecks", "backwards" and/or "religious fanatics" with no "schoolin'". Read any kind of news item that takes place in a southern state and read the comments--eventually you will come across "well what do they expect, it's the south?" (always in some very stereotypical, negative way). Loving the south and appreciating its (more polite, genteel, friendly) culture is equated with being racist and/or "still fighting the civil war". Funny, the only people i hear even mention the civil war are northerners...

Those of us who have lived our whole lives in nc have grown up with a steady stream of people, mostly northerners, moving here and while many assimilate to the culture, a great many indicate shock and condescension that "you mean you don't do things exactly like we do? What kind of backwoods place is this?? I can't believe you don't even have a [insert name of northeastern store chain here]!" this stereotype of northerners, particularly ny/nj, did not materialize out of thin air (and i hear it from folks in other parts of the country, too, like the midwest and west coast, about northeasterners), so native southerners have learned to grow weary and yes, defensive when yet another newcomer from those regions shows up. Hopefully, the initial encounter will be friendly on both sides and the southerner will relax a little, but it's a conditioned reaction to often decades of having to hear one's own part of the country put down in subtle and not-so-subtle ways by people who mostly chose to move there in the first place.
+1

Old 02-18-2017, 10:57 AM

159 posts, read 181,939 times
If you're considering moving to Western NC from a flatter region, as you look at houses, you should try to visualize the sun angle of mid-winter. Some places that look lovely in the middle of summer may not get ANY direct sun for a few weeks on either side of the winter solstice. Some people wouldn't mind that so much but would prompt others to seek medication of some kind, or list the place for sale to another unsuspecting Floridian the following June.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:08 PM

2,886 posts, read 1,810,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
And defensiveness comes from years of being faced with "offensiveness". You can't deny that Southerners are still portrayed in the media, movies, TV as "rednecks", "backwards" and/or "religious fanatics" with no "schoolin'". Read any kind of news item that takes place in a Southern state and read the comments--eventually you will come across "Well what do they expect, it's the South?" (always in some very stereotypical, negative way). Loving the South and appreciating its (more polite, genteel, friendly) culture is equated with being racist and/or "Still fighting the Civil War". Funny, the only people I hear even mention the Civil War are Northerners...

Those of us who have lived our whole lives in NC have grown up with a steady stream of people, mostly Northerners, moving here and while many assimilate to the culture, a great many indicate shock and condescension that "You mean you don't do things exactly like we do? What kind of backwoods place IS this?? I can't believe you don't even have a [insert name of Northeastern store chain here]!" This stereotype of Northerners, particularly NY/NJ, did not materialize out of thin air (and I hear it from folks in other parts of the country, too, like the Midwest and West Coast, about Northeasterners), so native Southerners have learned to grow weary and yes, defensive when yet another newcomer from those regions shows up. Hopefully, the initial encounter will be friendly on both sides and the Southerner will relax a little, but it's a conditioned reaction to often DECADES of having to hear one's own part of the country put down in subtle and not-so-subtle ways by people who mostly chose to move there in the first place.
Lol well, I don't consider myself a northeaster. More like a great laker. I've never been to NYC or nj. In fact they are like a 7hr drive away. (thankfully)

Ironically the reasons you mentioned are what I find appealing about southern culture. I appreciate the genuineness of it. The southerners I've met are all honest and straightforward. They don't BS or play fake nice. That's respectable. I appreciate the southern friendliness and hospitality. I like holding the door open for someone or being polite to a stranger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina