Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2021, 07:24 PM

902 posts, read 799,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree, the difference between NC and TN is substantial if factoring the towns themselves. The Gatlinburg-Pigeon Forge area is virtually charmless and the only similar town with some kind of charm in TN were places like Elizabethton or Maryville. Knoxville has it's moments but isn't really "in the mountains". WNC is rich with options outside of Asheville like Hendersonville, Brevard, Saluda, Black Mountain, Sylva, Bryson City, Waynesville, Burnsville and Spruce Pine.
I’d suggest a visit to Gatlinburg at any time of the year, or searching for a cabin rental there during ... well, any time of the year.

You’ll find an almost cult like following of people and families who enjoy visiting the Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Dollywood and GSMNP areas of Tennessee.

Comparing any of the towns in WNC like Brevard, Saluda, Hendersonville and such is like comparing a bottle of Two Buck Chuck with a bottle of French Bordeaux ... or a home grilled steak with a happy meal. Not even in the same league.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 02-26-2021 at 08:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2021, 08:28 PM

6,560 posts, read 4,205,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTheExplorer View Post
I’d suggest a visit to Gatlinburg at any time of the year, or searching for a cabin rental there during ... well, any time of the year.

You’ll find an almost cult like following of people and families who enjoy visiting the Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Dollywood and GSMNP areas of Tennessee.

Comparing any of the towns in WNC like Brevard, Saluda, Hendersonville and such is like comparing a bottle of Two Buck Chuck with a bottle of French Bordeaux ... or a home grilled steak with a happy meal. Not even in the same league.
Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are tourist traps while Waynesville, Bryson City, Black Mountain, and Brevard are authentic mountain towns. Huge difference..

Old 02-27-2021, 12:36 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,246,220 times
Quote:

I think Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are the Two Buck Chuck and Happy Meal in this analogy?

Mazzer, Gatlinburg & Pigeon Forge, Branson MO, Myrtle Beach SC are all cousins. Maybe throw the Wisconsin Dells in there too, but I'm not as familiar with it. All are super touristy and kitschy. Lots of people do love that stuff, but give me the NC mountains any day. If your tastes run toward Ripley's Believe It Or Not, Moonshine Tastings, Bubba Gump Shrimp Co, etc, then Gatlinburg might be right up your alley. You can always take a Google Streetview drive through the areas you are interested in.
Gatlinburg: https://goo.gl/maps/suqhWXHqGM17DBRY8
Hendersonville: https://goo.gl/maps/TPwDdDbtsFZy3gLz7

Last edited by poppydog; 02-27-2021 at 12:46 PM..

Old 02-27-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
... give me the NC mountains any day. If your tastes run toward Ripley's Believe It Or Not, Moonshine Tastings, Bubba Gump Shrimp Co, etc, then Gatlinburg might be right up your alley. You can always take a Google Streetview drive through the areas you are interested in.
Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are so much more than the single strip you’re referring to. The area in general is a highly desirable place for families to visit, with tons of hiking, outdoor activities, places to eat and cabin rentals in the area - while not being accosted by the homeless when out walking around.

It’s like saying The Florida Keys and Key West are just Duval Street, which isn’t even close. Gatlinburg actually gives me the feeling of being in KW for whatever reason, as I’ve lived there and have spent a lot of time on pretty much every part of the island and surrounding Keys.

Could be the vibe and friendly people in GB, or maybe it’s the energy there, but have never been totally sure why.

Even Dollywood and Splash Country are great places to visit and get annual passes to. Have had so many good times there with family and friends, and their annual pass prices are great.

For everyone in our circle that visits the mountains every year, Gatlinburg is always tops / near the top of their list, with outings throughout the surrounding area while here.

Have family in MD that love GB so much they’re trying to organize a family reunion there every year. I’m sure we’d end up on the strip at some point, but also somewhere nearby white water rafting and hiking too. Good times.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 02-27-2021 at 02:57 PM..

Old 02-27-2021, 06:43 PM

34,882 posts, read 30,982,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are tourist traps while Waynesville, Bryson City, Black Mountain, and Brevard are authentic mountain towns. Huge difference..
Agreed.

I was in Gatlinburg proper last year. Just abysmal. I’ll go a couple times a year for Dollywood or water parks. IMO, WNC mountains are far superior to even GSMNP.

Old 02-28-2021, 04:31 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,246,220 times
Quote:
Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are so much more than the single strip you’re referring to. The area in general is a highly desirable place for families to visit, with tons of hiking, outdoor activities, places to eat and cabin rentals in the area - while not being accosted by the homeless when out walking around.

It’s like saying The Florida Keys and Key West are just Duval Street, which isn’t even close. Gatlinburg actually gives me the feeling of being in KW for whatever reason, as I’ve lived there and have spent a lot of time on pretty much every part of the island and surrounding Keys.

Could be the vibe and friendly people in GB, or maybe it’s the energy there, but have never been totally sure why.

Even Dollywood and Splash Country are great places to visit and get annual passes to. Have had so many good times there with family and friends, and their annual pass prices are great.

For everyone in our circle that visits the mountains every year, Gatlinburg is always tops / near the top of their list, with outings throughout the surrounding area while here.

Have family in MD that love GB so much they’re trying to organize a family reunion there every year. I’m sure we’d end up on the strip at some point, but also somewhere nearby white water rafting and hiking too. Good times.
I'm sure you could say the same thing about Branson, Myrtle Beach, and the Wisconsin Dells, too, Vince, but I don't want to visit or live there either. Different strokes for different folks. That's why I posted the Google Streetview so Mazzer and others interested can drive around virtually and make up their own minds.

Old 02-28-2021, 06:28 PM

231 posts, read 231,102 times
Quote:
I'm sure you could say the same thing about Branson, Myrtle Beach, and the Wisconsin Dells, too, Vince, but I don't want to visit or live there either. Different strokes for different folks. That's why I posted the Google Streetview so Mazzer and others interested can drive around virtually and make up their own minds.
Seriously, just ignore him. He's not worth it.

Old 02-28-2021, 10:59 PM

Quote:
I’ll never say anything about anywhere until I’ve spent enough time there to form a reasonable opinion about it. Much rather get in our car and spend a few days bouncing around an area then wasting time looking at a computer screen, which TBH is a very odd way to ever form an opinion on ANY area.

To each their own is correct though, with our approach of simply hitting the road and going to different places to enjoy the time we get to spend together as a family being our thing. Rather leave the computer screen watching to those who are more adventurous.

Old 03-01-2021, 05:27 AM

146 posts, read 138,235 times
Quote:
I think Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are the Two Buck Chuck and Happy Meal in this analogy?

Mazzer, Gatlinburg & Pigeon Forge, Branson MO, Myrtle Beach SC are all cousins. Maybe throw the Wisconsin Dells in there too, but I'm not as familiar with it. All are super touristy and kitschy. Lots of people do love that stuff, but give me the NC mountains any day. If your tastes run toward Ripley's Believe It Or Not, Moonshine Tastings, Bubba Gump Shrimp Co, etc, then Gatlinburg might be right up your alley. You can always take a Google Streetview drive through the areas you are interested in.

For sure. Gatlinburg, Myrtle Beach, Wisconsin Dells- very similar. Tourists come from all over and love it and not many people would actually want to live there. It is what residents of WNC would never want to happen to our side of the mountains. For me, it’s where you went as a kid on youth group trips. It’s not anywhere we’d even want to visit now, but we have several Florida friends who love it. To each their own. The mountains part of the area is beautiful, though. So if you want to see the pretty scenery and do the touristy stuff, it might be a good fit.

Old 03-01-2021, 06:06 AM

5,418 posts, read 5,930,190 times
There are various nuances (and nuisances ) between living in DOWNTOWN, Gatlinburg, Boone, Asheville, Johnson City, Banner Elk, Blowing Rock, Hendersonville, Weaverville, etc.

Once you get outside these cities and towns into the less populated areas, the major difference is the altitude.

Longer grocery or shopping trips are going to be expected because of those locations.

Most of these areas are smack in the middle of the Appalachian chain running Southwest to Northeast through the states, so they share similar characteristics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina