Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 08:08 PM

5,005 posts, read 5,586,350 times

Advertisements

Not limited to Western NC though, just so long as the trailhead is within a 2 hour drive of Highlands area. When I was in Highlands on last trip, did hikes including Granite City, Sunrise Rock, Jones Knob and Secret Falls, among other brief stops (drove to the top of Wayah Bald, for example). All of them were great, but none of these hikes were especially long though. I was wondering which ones were truly outstanding, like, if you wanted to showcase say, the "seven wonders of the area", in terms of viewpoints, which would you choose? I think an obvious starting point would be continuing past Jones Knob a couple miles to Whiteside Mountain. Another one I've heard is exceptional is within GSMNP is Mount LeConte, though I haven't personally tried it. Other ones I have heard are up there are the Mount Mitchell area (if nothing else, highest point in Eastern US), and Grandfather Mountain. In regards to other places, I wouldn't mind trying a "bald" type hike, like a meadow with wildflowers type setting. Preference for hikes that aren't drive up, though an exception of course would be made for Mount Mitchell. Thanks all!

Edit: Enjoy mature, old growth forest too, really any type of unique geologic landscape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 10:18 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,208,972 times
For a bald try Max Patch. Might be a little far from Highlands, though.

Max Patch on the Appalachian Trail - Asheville Trails

Plenty of great hikes in the Smokies.

Are you wanting mountain top views? Lots of great waterfall hikes in Transylvania County.

Maybe map some here: http://maps.ashevilletrails.com/

Old 02-04-2017, 09:16 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,595,205 times
I plan to hike South Mountain state park in Connelly Springs, near Morganton. The website says it has many miles of trails.

Hanging Dog state park in Cherokee county has a long trail and winter is the perfect time as greenery won't be blocking the trails.

The Great Smokey Mountains has a 4 mile trail near the NC/TN state line a few miles from Clingman's Dome entrance.

The AT crossing through Bryson City (i-74) is a good starting point to go south on the AT.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:39 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,295,494 times
Looking Glass Rock, Graveyard Fields, Pink Beds Loop, Dupont State Forest to name a few.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:14 AM

31,343 posts, read 14,063,596 times
May be making a trip here this summer (as mentioned on a different thread).

What is the bear situation like here? Is bear spray a 'must have'?

Old 02-08-2017, 09:37 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,257,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
I plan to hike South Mountain state park in Connelly Springs, near Morganton. The website says it has many miles of trails.

Hanging Dog state park in Cherokee county has a long trail and winter is the perfect time as greenery won't be blocking the trails.

The Great Smokey Mountains has a 4 mile trail near the NC/TN state line a few miles from Clingman's Dome entrance.

The AT crossing through Bryson City (i-74) is a good starting point to go south on the AT.
South Mountain is a nice choice, however due to the fire that happened last fall many of the trails currently are closed including the one that goes to the upper part of the waterfall. We went on a Spring like day in January and parked in the main parking lot and the fire that occured was hardly noticeable on that side of the mountain.
The park service is still clearing the side trails and waiting on the Spring growth to determine which trees are dead to clear and open the rest.

OP I recommend Mount Mitchell, for the Burke County area I recommend Upper Creek Falls or numerous hikes in the Pisgah Forest.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:53 AM

12,798 posts, read 16,208,972 times
I have never felt the need to have bear spray in the NC mountains although I have seen signs of bears. Generally they are less aggressive than the grizzlies out west and would rather run away than fight.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:35 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,295,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post

South Mountain SP is 2 and 1/2 hours from Highlands.

Old 02-09-2017, 04:07 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,445,833 times
Linville gorge has some great hikes but I don't know if it's quite in the 2 hr limit.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:28 PM

5,005 posts, read 5,586,350 times
Thanks all, I appreciate it! I am really open to anything trail-wise, but something with mountain top views is especially good. I'm not too picky though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina