Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2017, 12:50 PM

44 posts, read 71,691 times

Advertisements

We are a young family with two small kids and two big dogs and looking to relocate. I have a remote position and my husband works in banking. We live in a suburb of St Paul and originally planned on moving to Colorado Springs but unfortunately our budget isn't working so well with our wish list out there. I've heard a lot of great things about Asheville and curious if someone can recommend a more specific area for our wish list:

-Good school district
-3BR, mostly move in ready home with at least 1/2acre of land for under $230k. We love the woods and having privacy but would be open to a housing development if we had plenty of space between neighbors
-Easily accessible (There's a Target, Home Depot within 10mi, shopping, playgrounds, things to do with kids) but still quaint
-More on the "blue" end of the political spectrum
-Asheville is no more than 45min away
-We want to rent before we buy but have two large dogs (one being a german shepherd) so dog friendly/no breed bans would be necessary as well.

Any ideas? We're about to list our house and figured it's time to start looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 01:05 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,378,349 times
Look at Etowah. Its 15 minutes from Hendersonville (and shopping), 30 minutes from Asheville and has very good schools. There are a few houses available in your price range. Also, Hendersonville itself would be a good match. Just watch the school district.

Last edited by BC1960; 02-24-2017 at 01:32 PM..

Old 02-24-2017, 01:32 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Look at Etowah. Its 15 minutes from Hendersonville (and shopping), 45 minutes from Asheville and has very good schools. There are a few houses available in your price range. Also, Hendersonville itself would be a good match. Just watch the school district. Its about 30 minutes from Asheville.
Hendersonville schools are top rated. Don't know where you get your info from. Not much available in Hendersonville in the OP's price range. $260/$300K maybe. Etowah schools, not.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:39 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,378,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Hendersonville schools are top rated. Don't know where you get your info from. Not much available in Hendersonville in the OP's price range. $260/$300K maybe. Etowah schools, not.
Some are better than others. Etowah schools are very good, especially elementary and middle. West Henderson HS isn't bad.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:04 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,470,877 times
I feel like if CO springs is too expensive for you then so will be Asheville. The last I looked CO springs was cheaper then here.

The only spot that has quick access to tons of shopping and is "blue" (which why were you looking at co springs then?!), is Asheville proper. There are no other targets in wnc.

I'm watching rentals go for stupid expensive prices now too so I think with a restricted breed you will find it next to impossible to find one. A friend is a landlord, they listed a pretty crappy 800ft tiny 2 bed, only wood heat no ac for 1300 this week. And they had 70!!! calls the first day listed. Needless to say it was gone with hours. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:36 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,608,098 times
I would not choose Asheville over Colorado Springs - my opinion only - will be happy to discuss via DM.

Hmmm...I'm intrigued the OP mentions that CO Springs may be expensive - I suppose this could be a "spillover" from the ultra-hot Denver real estate market.

Kat's husband could have difficulty obtaining a banking position in Asheville, esp if in upper management.

The OP needs to visit Asheville for a long weekend and focus on real estate/public schools/retail accessibility.

Last edited by drfranklin; 02-26-2017 at 07:55 AM..

Old 02-27-2017, 01:04 PM

44 posts, read 71,691 times
CO Springs is too expensive for what I want. If I want to have everything on my list, I'm looking upwards of $275k+ and still sacrificing my land criteria. In western NC, I've seen lots of properties with land, good schools, in our price range, and move-in ready condition. I saw what you mean about renting, just did a rental search and not much available that's for sure.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:18 PM

526 posts, read 459,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick;47309520[COLOR=Red
]Hendersonville schools are top rated.[/color] Don't know where you get your info from. Not much available in Hendersonville in the OP's price range. $260/$300K maybe. Etowah schools, not.
I think I went around with a few folks once before about this. The GREAT graduation numbers in Henderson Co schools are skewed. If you go to one of the HS for example and are struggling you are shipped to an Alternative school(Balfour), if your are a jr or sr and may not graduate you are sent to Balfour. So in the end the graduation rate of the HS look great, thing is your schools are being compared to systems who may not have an alternative school so it not a good comparison. Also I do believe there are still two schools in Henderson county that are segregated that also have separate numbers. These schools are aligned by low grades as well as ethnic back ground not demographics This in it's self is wrong.
Let me state that Balfour is a great school and every district should have them. But comparing apples to apples your not.

Last edited by The Bear Hunter; 02-27-2017 at 02:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina