Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 12:09 PM

643 posts, read 670,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTheExplorer View Post
It worked!!!

We finally got ourselves a rental in Weaverville! We took DLM's advice and started pestering the property management company which put us on the path of finding our rental. Persistence really does pay off! Thank you for another great suggestion.

Just packed up the Pilot and will be on the road with my daughter by 7 am tomorrow. Glad this part of our plan has finally come together. After our walk through on Friday, will need to line up utilities and find a storage unit as we're bringing a truckload of belongings with us. We've decided to buy a 6 x 10 enclosed trailer to haul our gear up there gradually over the next two months. May end up keeping it or sell it off to recoup some of our moving expenses. Up in the air about it as trailers are a good thing to have handy ...

Again, thanks to everyone here for your insight and suggestions along the way. It really has made a difference for us. Cheers!

Glad it worked for you! Message me if you decide to sell that trailer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 08:42 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
Quote:
It worked!!!

We finally got ourselves a rental in Weaverville! We took DLM's advice and started pestering the property management company which put us on the path of finding our rental. Persistence really does pay off! Thank you for another great suggestion.

Just packed up the Pilot and will be on the road with my daughter by 7 am tomorrow. Glad this part of our plan has finally come together. After our walk through on Friday, will need to line up utilities and find a storage unit as we're bringing a truckload of belongings with us. We've decided to buy a 6 x 10 enclosed trailer to haul our gear up there gradually over the next two months. May end up keeping it or sell it off to recoup some of our moving expenses. Up in the air about it as trailers are a good thing to have handy ...

Again, thanks to everyone here for your insight and suggestions along the way. It really has made a difference for us. Cheers!
Have a safe trip and welcome to the area

Old 07-16-2017, 03:27 PM

212 posts, read 426,689 times
Oooh, so jealous! I really think that Weaverville is charming and the area surrounding was so spectacular a couple of falls ago...so how are you finding life to be, so far?

I will be going back up again and try to make a decision between North Asheville and Flat Rock/Hendersonville. Two different, but both attractive areas.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:56 PM

902 posts, read 807,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by investorscooter View Post
Oooh, so jealous! I really think that Weaverville is charming and the area surrounding was so spectacular a couple of falls ago...so how are you finding life to be, so far?

I will be going back up again and try to make a decision between North Asheville and Flat Rock/Hendersonville. Two different, but both attractive areas.
To be honest we're glad we chose Weaverville after originally considering Hendersonville. We've found that WV feels more like a community and HV felt like a sprawling, congested suburb of AV, although HV is 20+ miles away and WV is 6. Should be the opposite. We were in HV just yesterday and again it was quite the busy place. Just too busy for us ...

We're loving WV's close proximity (15-20 minutes) to the Biltmore, BRP, Marshall, Leicester and areas heading north like Craggy Gardens, Mt. Mitchell, Hot Springs, Linville, Burnsville and Boone. It also seems to be a lot less congested on the north side of AV too. Loved HV's closeness to Brevard, DuPont and Lake Lure, but love the area here in WV more as it reminds us of what a "charming mountain town" really should be.

Also love the area's convenience. My wife and I work together at a family vineyard in Leicester (Addison Farms Vineyard) daily until noonish. We then return home and have more than enough time to take the family hiking, swimming or out for a bite to eat. Also love hitting the Biltmore in the evening for a trail hike (get the annual passes) or stopping by the winery for a tasting and some people watching. Once we get home though, it feels great to be back in WV as it's a pretty happening little town all in it's own.

Here's an awesome day that we recently had in WV ... We woke up at eight, walked to Wel-Bred for a coffee and muffin, kept walking the back streets to Lake Louise, walked home, showered and took a nice nap together, took the BRP to Craggy Gardens for a family hike, came home and walked to a street party in downtown WV, ate at Twisted Laurel, had a vino at Maggie B's then we all walked home. It all seemed so natural ... weather was perfect, kids were happy and the eight miles or so that we put in that day went by so fast that our kids didn't even notice!

So to us that's why we love WV so much! Best of luck to you in your search as they are both nice areas!

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 07-16-2017 at 09:03 PM..

Old 07-17-2017, 10:03 AM

212 posts, read 265,304 times
Quote:

Hello there! I remember talking to you a while back when you came up from FL looking to see if WNC was the place you wanted to be. I thought you decided NoCal or VA after that trip? Happy to see you are coming around. What's NOT to love here!?

Quote:
To be honest we're glad we chose Weaverville after originally considering Hendersonville. We've found that WV feels more like a community and HV felt like a sprawling, congested suburb of AV, although HV is 20+ miles away and WV is 6. Should be the opposite. We were in HV just yesterday and again it was quite the busy place. Just too busy for us ...

We're loving WV's close proximity (15-20 minutes) to the Biltmore, BRP, Marshall, Leicester and areas heading north like Craggy Gardens, Mt. Mitchell, Hot Springs, Linville, Burnsville and Boone. It also seems to be a lot less congested on the north side of AV too. Loved HV's closeness to Brevard, DuPont and Lake Lure, but love the area here in WV more as it reminds us of what a "charming mountain town" really should be.

Also love the area's convenience. My wife and I work together at a family vineyard in Leicester (Addison Farms Vineyard) daily until noonish. We then return home and have more than enough time to take the family hiking, swimming or out for a bite to eat. Also love hitting the Biltmore in the evening for a trail hike (get the annual passes) or stopping by the winery for a tasting and some people watching. Once we get home though, it feels great to be back in WV as it's a pretty happening little town all in it's own.

Here's an awesome day that we recently had in WV ... We woke up at eight, walked to Wel-Bred for a coffee and muffin, kept walking the back streets to Lake Louise, walked home, showered and took a nice nap together, took the BRP to Craggy Gardens for a family hike, came home and walked to a street party in downtown WV, ate at Twisted Laurel, had a vino at Maggie B's then we all walked home. It all seemed so natural ... weather was perfect, kids were happy and the eight miles or so that we put in that day went by so fast that our kids didn't even notice!

So to us that's why we love WV so much! Best of luck to you in your search as they are both nice areas!
Vince, I felt the same way you did. We like visiting Hville, but we decided we didn't want to live there. It's as you said, a little disconnected from feeling like Americana/hometown, but also too congested in some aspects. It never really felt like 'home' to us either. Although we're building on Elk Mnt, we're technically closer to Weaverville than Aville. We spend a lot of time up on the north side of asheville, and I suspect a whole BUNCH more time once we finish the house. We love it for the same reasons you just listed. Your 'day in WV' is right on the money. Quiet/protected from the craziness of Aville/26/240 (while still being close), and also has the small town 'main street America' feel that is so intangible. Twisted Laurel, Stoney Knob, Glass Onion, Well Bred... Plenty of foody food/drink to keep you from feeling like you're missing out on anything. Something magical about the north side of asheville.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:13 PM

212 posts, read 426,689 times
evensen007:

You are amazing, remembering that!! Impressive. Hubby was the one who put the kibosh on A'ville area - and I, mortally wounded, pouted around the house for about 2 weeks then decided to be a nice person.

But, coincidences happen! He was trying to phone his excellent massage guru to reschedule some sessions here in muggy mosquito-infested Miami last week and lo and behold, the guru was spotty on the phone cuz he was in...Woodfin! Taking great view photos from his girlfriend's new acquisition, a lovely house halfway up Elk Mountain, off Beaverdam Road.

His thing was NorCal. That's a pipe dream. He likes cabernet too much. And VA made some degree of sense since my sister and our son live in DC, but I don't know if we could get enough altitude to make it feel like a mountain getaway.

So I've been given a greenlight to find MY place, and he says he'll follow me anywhere. We'll see about that!! Happy to be back and looking!

Vince:

Loved reading about "your day" - sounded perfect. I also love north of A'ville more than south. The only draws in the south are a golf course community since we like to golf, Sky Top Orchard and Jazzercise, which are in Flat Rock. And hubby thought there was more to Hendersonville than W'Ville (which I guess is true). So I was going to look at Kenmure. Not so sure about gated communities - they seem patently unfriendly and we're super friendly.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:18 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
Quote:

Glad you are enjoying Weaverville. It's nice you get off at noon and can live life I have friends that are moving to the area in a week and a half. They have been focusing on the Brevard area. They are having a hard time finding a place. They are actually looking outside of Brevard in Rosman, Pisgah Forest, Etowah, Balsalm Grove, etc. They don't care for Hendersonville at all. Way too congested for them. Land is most important to them and they will take a cabin or a cottage. They may build if they can find a halfway level piece of land with utilities on site. Maybe an old trailer was there? They like rural but can't be too far from Asheville because he will work all over that area. I am telling them to expand their area and check out Leceister, Weaverville, Alexander, Mars Hill areas. They'd like to be 30 minutes give or take from AVL. If anyone sees any FSBO signs or knows of anything, please let me know

Old 07-18-2017, 09:08 AM

39 posts, read 33,968 times
Quote:
evensen007:
are in Flat Rock. And hubby thought there was more to Hendersonville than W'Ville (which I guess is true). So I was going to look at Kenmure. Not so sure about gated communities - they seem patently unfriendly and we're super friendly.
we also thought about Kenmure. there are a lot of homes for sale there. not sure how much a membership is. let me know if you end up looking and what your thoughts are.

we can't do anything until our house here in FL sells.

good luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina