Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 06:21 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever nickname here View Post
Click on map search and when the map opens in the upper left there will be a red box labeled 'Search when moving map' that will show all listing on the map that meet your filters.

I would also check on Trulia as not all real estate brokers pay to list on both sites. On both sites I see stuff that isn't on the other one.

That is because Trulia and Zillow are not up to date. Realtor dot com or local r/e franchise websites are the only ones up to date and are more informative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 06:57 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Crazy View Post
The best advice?
Go to your local library where they have fast computers and you can do solid research. Take a note pad and pencil, also open your email while there and click: Compose ...like you're going to send an email to someone....then copy/paste the website links of relevant info you find online into the body of that "email" so you can keep a record of information you've found (it's just easier than writing it all down and this way you won't possibly lose the piece of paper). You don't send it, just put in the Subject line: NC Info....and save it in Draft for referencing later.

Last time I tried to help someone on here with actual website names that sunnykayak moderator got all testy. We'll see what happens this time. (Aren't we supposed to help each other here???)

And the ultimate advice?
Do a bunch of solid online research and plan a trip to come check it out. Don't spread yourself too thin by trying to get to and understand a half dozen places. It becomes too confusing and disjointed. Pick 2 or 3 towns and plan a trip. All research is good but NOTHING BEATS SEEING FOR YOURSELF.

Thank you for the advice - I was planning on coming up in May. My friend is a realtor in Asheville plus he has an Air bnb so I plan on staying with him for a week while I'm looking.

Last edited by Yac; 11-12-2020 at 02:34 AM..

Old 04-08-2017, 11:30 AM

177 posts, read 123,333 times
Some things that I thought I would mention: rainfall, crime, and taxes. There are extremely different rainfall patterns within a short distance. If that is a factor for you, you might research it. Brevard and some areas southwest of there are rainforest areas, while Marshall area north/northwest of Asheville is some of the driest in NC. Research crime rates. For example, compare Gatlinburg TN to Mars Hill NC. Buncombe Co has very much higher property tax than other nearby counties.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:12 PM

73 posts, read 120,162 times
You may also want to look at north ga. We moved to hiawassee ga in October. We looked at areas in WNC but found our dream home in hiawassee! Gorgeous little town on lake chatuge. Research blairesville ga....hiawassee ga......hayesville nc. If you pm me I will give you an excellent realtor and web site to research. Good luck with your search....I hope it works out as well as ours has!

Old 04-12-2017, 07:49 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
If I were looking to move to WNC and retired , I would give hiawassee a look. Seems like a good life and is not a bad drive to Atlanta or Chattanooga. Don't know about jobs though.

I also like upstate SC if you are considering jobs

Old 04-12-2017, 08:58 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Crazy View Post
The best advice?
Go to your local library where they have fast computers and you can do solid research. Take a note pad and pencil, also open your email while there and click: Compose ...like you're going to send an email to someone....then copy/paste the website links of relevant info you find online into the body of that "email" so you can keep a record of information you've found (it's just easier than writing it all down and this way you won't possibly lose the piece of paper). You don't send it, just put in the Subject line: NC Info....and save it in Draft for referencing later.

Last time I tried to help someone on here with actual website names that sunnykayak moderator got all testy. We'll see what happens this time. (Aren't we supposed to help each other here???)
And the ultimate advice?
Do a bunch of solid online research and plan a trip to come check it out. Don't spread yourself too thin by trying to get to and understand a half dozen places. It becomes too confusing and disjointed. Pick 2 or 3 towns and plan a trip. All research is good but NOTHING BEATS SEEING FOR YOURSELF.
Good advice, about the library and the note taking method. Also good advice from CKH... about searches.

NOTE: SunnyKayak is not high on my friend's list, but he/she is a "go by the user agreement" moderator. He/she can be faulted for being inflexible, but not consistency. I never noticed a testy attitude, only rigid adherence to the terms of service.

Last edited by Yac; 11-12-2020 at 02:34 AM..

Old 04-17-2017, 06:01 AM

447 posts, read 1,619,186 times
Check out Franklin, Sylva, Cullowhee, Dillsboro and Waynesville. I lived in western NC for several years before moving to Europe (for love). I really enjoyed the area!

Old 04-17-2017, 07:45 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,518,860 times
I, like you, got tired of the FL lifestyle.
If you could stretch your budget to $168K, there's a property that will suit your needs
in Marshall, on Realtor.com, Drs, food shopping, Bojengles, library, College etc are close by in Mars Hill. Weaverville is 20min, Asheville is 40.
This past winter was very mild, I believe it snowed with accumulation 4 times, and it was
Gone in a day. All the best with your search.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:57 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
The only reason I was thinking about Asheville as opposed to GA or SC is because I know two people in Asheville. It's hard when you're 62 to pick up and move to a strange place when you don't know anybody. My budget will depend on whether my son and granddaughter also come. My son hates Florida but if he can't take his daughter with him because of custody issues he won't come. If he doesn't come I will consider a townhouse as long as it's got a view. GA would be a definite consideration because it's closer to all my relatives here in SW Florida.

I'm doing a lot of research now as I'm here until the end of October when my lease is up. I can get out of it early if I give them 2 months rent but I hate to throw $2K down the toilet.

I'm going to check out Marshall, NC and Hiawassee in Georgia. I have been on realtor.com and not finding much in my price range that isn't a mobile home in Asheville and surrounding areas.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:55 AM

28 posts, read 29,034 times
I can tell you that Bryson City has a Bojangles! I love that little town. I've been doing a lot of research on that area (Bryson City, Sylva, Waynesville, Franklin, etc) and I've seen some 3BR houses for sale around Franklin around $130k give or take so you may want to check them out. Bryson prices weren't that bad either.

I'm also in SW FL and am dying to leave here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina