Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 09:39 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknapp1 View Post
Yes we got the sense that Asheville was expensive to live in. We have found some houses we liked in our price range (we won't be buying for awhile though) in Weaverville, Old Fort, Arden, Flat Rock, Hendersonville, Leicester and Biltmore Lake. All a bit of a drive but nothing we aren't ok with. Down here he was willing to drive all the way to Cape Coral which is a 45 min drive so we are willing to commute for work, but nothing over really an hour.

You say low paying jobs are a problem in Asheville. Does that apply to every field? I will be in the medical field. Is the pay for medical awful?

In the areas you mentioned above, you won't get much for $350K. Especially in Biltmore Lake and some areas of Flat Rock. Even at $40K/yr. you will need a substantial down payment. Then consider the property taxes, HOA fees (very likely), utilities, insurance, property maintenance .... etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 10:39 AM

97 posts, read 101,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
In the areas you mentioned above, you won't get much for $350K. Especially in Biltmore Lake and some areas of Flat Rock. Even at $40K/yr. you will need a substantial down payment. Then consider the property taxes, HOA fees (very likely), utilities, insurance, property maintenance .... etc.
We've only found one or two houses in Biltmore and Flat Rock, but we've found a lot of houses we liked actually. We will spend as much as $250,000 I would just like to stay under $200,000 if possible. It will still be a few years before we buy. But we found about 11 houses we saved on Zillow, lowest price was $175,000 in Flat Rock for a 3/2 on .28 acres (not as much land as we want but we still liked it). Highest price was a couple houses at $249,000 for 3/2 on .65/2/.51 acres in Henderson & Weaverville. & yes of course we know we still need to keep in mind utilities, insurance, taxes etc... Together we will probably make about $50,000-$53,000 starting out in the beginning. I do not plan on being a medical assistant for life so hoping to go back to college and get something that pays more, while my husband also would like to further his education to paramedic school. We obviously don't expect to start out exactly where we want. But hoping to be in a good place to buy in the next 3-5 years.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:36 AM

118 posts, read 152,813 times
Quote:
We've only found one or two houses in Biltmore and Flat Rock, but we've found a lot of houses we liked actually. We will spend as much as $250,000 I would just like to stay under $200,000 if possible. It will still be a few years before we buy. But we found about 11 houses we saved on Zillow, lowest price was $175,000 in Flat Rock for a 3/2 on .28 acres (not as much land as we want but we still liked it). Highest price was a couple houses at $249,000 for 3/2 on .65/2/.51 acres in Henderson & Weaverville. & yes of course we know we still need to keep in mind utilities, insurance, taxes etc... Together we will probably make about $50,000-$53,000 starting out in the beginning. I do not plan on being a medical assistant for life so hoping to go back to college and get something that pays more, while my husband also would like to further his education to paramedic school. We obviously don't expect to start out exactly where we want. But hoping to be in a good place to buy in the next 3-5 years.
Check out Brevard, Black Mountain, and Waynesville. These are a few of our favorite spots that we are currently looking at houses in and our budget is about the same as yours. The cool thing about WNC imo is that a lot of the small towns are pretty substantial little places with decent grocery stores, shops, things to do, etc. I live in Summerville, SC and outside of the tricounty area the towns are far from substantial and most are far from charming... creepy even. So it is all relative. We find a lot of the small towns very livable and you can absolutely get what you are looking for in your price range a bit further out.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:37 AM

118 posts, read 152,813 times
Hendersonville too!
Attached Thumbnails
Possibly moving to Asheville-- info/likes & dislikes-081a8e66-1b5c-45ac-b4d6-350f1540204e.jpg  

Old 06-18-2017, 03:56 PM

487 posts, read 467,007 times
Probably East Flat Rock not the actual city of Flat Rock.....two entirely different areas! We own a home in Flat Rock so I'd be happy to answer questions on that area Look up the property on Henderson county GIS to confirm. We are from WNC and had to leave to make a living, due to low wage vs cost of living. We are in the process of moving back after living in Texas for almost 20 years. People want to live there so they are willing to accept lower wages in exchange for quality of mountain life and that goes accross the board.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:38 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
If your husband wants to get into a fire department and stay there permanently, you can't afford not to research salaries. There are so many volunteer fire departments in some of the towns in WNC, that I wouldn't be surprised if Asheville underpays.

In a city with good firefighter salaries, he will probably build up a much better pension also.

I agree with the advice to look at Greenville, SC. Maybe look at Charlotte, NC too.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:22 PM

28 posts, read 29,034 times
OP, I live in SW FL and I've been researching WNC for over a year now. Following these forums has been very helpful, also searching past posts. Asheville is a bit pricey for us so we are looking more towards Waynesville / Sylva area, possibly Weaverville too. I don't want to live where traffic is awfully comparable to here, lol. However, I definitely recommend coming up and checking out the area, even if just a long weekend. Someone else mentioned Allegiant previously, and I second that. I see many cheap flights directly into Asheville and even Greenville, SC from Punta Gorda that are around $100.

Best of luck on your search!

Old 06-25-2017, 02:00 PM

115 posts, read 96,100 times
Default Asheville, NC

Quote:
Hello,

I was wondering if you all could tell me about Asheville and the surrounding areas.

My husband is looking into their fire department for work. He is also an avid crossfit coach. We like to be outdoors:farmers market, fishing, water. Not real religious. We aren't really fancy either we like simple. We are wanting to start a family in a few years so we would like to know what the school system is like the best neighborhoods to live in.

I am also in the medical field and have heard Asheville holds a great job employment rate for that field. What is the cost of living there like? We will be relocating fro SW FL where it is getting way to expensive for a young couple to start out here. Max we would pay for our first house when we are ready to buy is $250,000. We would like enough land to have a small garden and some chickens and at least a 2/2.

Any insight on what you all like best/do not like about the area would be great.

It's a very populated place, in my opinion. I visit on average 8 or more times a year. It's a 6 hour drive for me. My daughter and son-in-law bought a house there 9 years ago, and from that time to today, the place is even more populated with out-of-towners. But, if you've visited and you like the place, that should not stop you. I have heard the hospital system there is very extensive and a great employer as well. Also, great place if you're in the restaurant business, tourism, self-employed, or retired, etc.

I will be moving there in the fall--not Asheville, per se, but possibly Brevard or Waynesville. I love the moutains, the hiking trails, the markets, etc. I'm mid-50s and hoping to find a full-time job and will move there only after I've secured a position. I'm leaving Cincinnati to be closer to family and a greener environment.

You'll find good people everywhere as well as snobs. There are a lot of secular folks / New Age types in that area as well as Christians (and other religions), so you should feel at home.

Good luck with your move. You should have no problem buying a house with land in that range.

Last edited by JeanneVanderbilt; 06-25-2017 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: Additional Info.

Old 06-25-2017, 03:18 PM

487 posts, read 467,007 times
Correction Village of Flat Rock and why $175,000 in Flat Rock for a 3/2 on .28 acres, as posted here, was hard to believe.

Old 06-25-2017, 04:14 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoDeb View Post
Correction Village of Flat Rock and why $175,000 in Flat Rock for a 3/2 on .28 acres, as posted here, was hard to believe.

There is no 'City" of Flat Rock. There is the Village of Flat Rock (center of FR) in the quaint Rt. 225 area; and there is East Flat Rock in the industrial Rt. 176 area.

$175K is very hard to believe unless in East FR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina