Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 02:52 PM

11 posts, read 36,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anticloud View Post
It may be good advice, but it is not advice that is asked for. I would like to think that the majority of people who are moving from one place to another have considered the financial implications of doing so.
It seems the poster, Upstate67 really, really wants me to move. Interesting how easy it is to tell someone to move rather than try to befriend someone and prove their opinion and experience may be wrong.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:27 PM

94 posts, read 200,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Crazy View Post
composed substantially of uber-liberals.

Asheville is loaded to the gills with them...unfortunately!

Old 06-26-2017, 04:40 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,036,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckIn Asheville View Post
It seems the poster, Upstate67 really, really wants me to move. Interesting how easy it is to tell someone to move rather than try to befriend someone and prove their opinion and experience may be wrong.
Actually no, I don't. I don't want anything. Nor did I tell you to move ffs.. All I did was try to offer some words of encouragement and wish you luck since I had 'been there.' Move - don't move, I really don't give a ****.

Old 06-26-2017, 04:55 PM

411 posts, read 613,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIt View Post
Asheville is loaded to the gills with them...unfortunately!
Why is that so unfortunate?

Old 06-26-2017, 07:25 PM

1,348 posts, read 791,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susieisanartist View Post
Why is that so unfortunate?
I'll let BlueIt answer for him/herself but it's not the slightest stretch to point out that most of humanity believes balance is very healthy and productive. Frankly, I don't have a clue why anyone would want to live within extremes or an echo chamber. Most of the time, balance is the best way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maulotaur View Post
One particular poster even comes to mind who really does this frequently, often disqualifying the original poster based on certain assumptions without actually answering their question.
Yes, more than 1 actually, several. That behavior is selfish, tiresome and counter-productive to anything worthwhile.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:42 PM

118 posts, read 152,813 times
Quote:
I'll let BlueIt answer for him/herself but it's not the slightest stretch to point out that most of humanity believes balance is very healthy and productive. Frankly, I don't have a clue why anyone would want to live within extremes or an echo chamber. Most of the time, balance is the best way to go.

Yes, more than 1 actually, several. That behavior is selfish, tiresome and counter-productive to anything worthwhile.
I get the impression BlueIt was not saying that because they wanted balance. Just a feeling.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
Actually no, I don't. I don't want anything. Nor did I tell you to move ffs.. All I did was try to offer some words of encouragement and wish you luck since I had 'been there.' Move - don't move, I really don't give a ****.
My apologies then. It's ok. I am planning to move anyway. I just wish I would be moving with a better taste in my mouth.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:

Thank you for helping prove the point of my original post. Yes, it seems the uber liberals are the most bitter: not the average liberals. There seems to be a climate of hostility around these people that is very hurtful and infectious. In their plight to seem cool and all about "live and let live", they have become hurtful to even the non political conformist. Sadly, these are the mass people I have encountered. Oddly, the young uber liberals have been loving and accepting. I don't get it... Why such meanness and hostility?

Last edited by StuckIn Asheville; 06-26-2017 at 08:20 PM..

Old 06-27-2017, 05:52 AM

411 posts, read 613,933 times
OP, please know that what I'm about to say is written with kindness. I hope it comes across to you that way.

I'm very sorry you are having trouble making friends. It's a tough spot to be in. Adults are very busy people. It takes time, and persistence, to get to know folks in a new place. I'm sure most people who have moved here have been through this to one degree or another.

I've read every post on this thread and notice this: the common denominator in your interactions is you. Liberals are mean, NC Natives are mean, churchgoers are mean, everyone is mean. This simply isn't possible, and doesn't speak to the experience of others here.

I think that instead of pointing fingers at others, you would benefit from turning your finger back toward yourself. How are you interacting? How are you coming across? Are you being kind? Are you being judgmental? Are you trying to understand local culture? Are you defensive based on past interactions? Are you reaching out and being persistent? Are you being TOO persistent?

Yes, moving is an option, but (as they say) wherever you go, there you are.

I urge you to stick it out and keep your chin up. In a town of 80,000, you are sure to find your people. Stay optimistic, keep trying, and be patient.

Last edited by Susieisanartist; 06-27-2017 at 06:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina