Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 07:29 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times

Advertisements

What can you tell me about it? The good, the bad, anything? I did a search and am coming up with nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 07:48 PM

81 posts, read 67,509 times
I can't tell you too much, but it's basically a "suburb" of Brevard. Hard to tell where the border is between them. There are a few stores: a Jr. Walmart, BiLo, two bike shops a couple of restaurants and a Post Office. I think it runs all the way down 64 to Penrose. It's also the entrance to Pisgah National Forest on 276. Their police force is Transylvania County, I think the schools may be in Brevard. This is all of the top of my head, maybe someone from there will chime in.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:03 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
What can you tell me about it? The good, the bad, anything? I did a search and am coming up with nothing.

What are you searching for ? homes? shopping? outdoor activities? It is basically an intersection (of Rts. 280 and 64) in an "area" with easy access to the Pisgah National Forest and the BRP.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:55 AM

Thanks for the info. I have friends that are moving up here. I am trying to help them find something. They love Brevard but it's out of budget to buy a home. Land is the most important to them, at least 2 acres that are mostly level. They don't mind a tiny house or cabin that needs remodeling. He specializes in that work. It could have been a previous vacation home. They like a rural area and they love to be right near the mountains (BRP) and waterfalls. They do not like a crowded area with traffic. They prefer to shop in Brevard for this reason. They were also looking in Balsalm Grove but it puts them a little far out. He will be doing most of his work around Brevard, Asheville and Hendersonville. Therefore, I thought, Pisgah Forest, Etowah, Rosman, Horse Shoe might be a better option. Any feedback will help. Thanks again.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:43 AM

There is really a full gamut of housing options there. The "center" is pretty downscale, a pretty large trailer area and a strip with houses next to the highway. But there are also some nice areas with good acreage and expensive homes. Generally the further away you get from 64 the better.

BTW: Balsam Grove is pretty, but really far out. The map doesn't do justice to 215, super twisty, the part between Balsam and Rosman is considered a premier motorcycle road and motorcyclists love twisty. Rosman would be a much better bet.

Last edited by WNCFUSE; 06-23-2017 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: added more info

Old 06-23-2017, 03:16 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I have friends that are moving up here. I am trying to help them find something. They love Brevard but it's out of budget to buy a home. Land is the most important to them, at least 2 acres that are mostly level. They don't mind a tiny house or cabin that needs remodeling. He specializes in that work. It could have been a previous vacation home. They like a rural area and they love to be right near the mountains (BRP) and waterfalls. They do not like a crowded area with traffic. They prefer to shop in Brevard for this reason. They were also looking in Balsalm Grove but it puts them a little far out. He will be doing most of his work around Brevard, Asheville and Hendersonville. Therefore, I thought, Pisgah Forest, Etowah, Rosman, Horse Shoe might be a better option. Any feedback will help. Thanks again.

Your best bet is to get a Realtor in Brevard to look for property. Hendersonville agents hardly service that area at all.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Your best bet is to get a Realtor in Brevard to look for property. Hendersonville agents hardly service that area at all.
Good advice. They do have a realtor I am just hoping to get as much info about the area that I can pass it onto them. The information everyone is posting is great. The realtor can find houses but isn't able to say for example "that's a bad area". See what I am saying? Therefore, anything from the locals is helpful

Old 06-23-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNCFUSE View Post
There is really a full gamut of housing options there. The "center" is pretty downscale, a pretty large trailer area and a strip with houses next to the highway. But there are also some nice areas with good acreage and expensive homes. Generally the further away you get from 64 the better.

BTW: Balsam Grove is pretty, but really far out. The map doesn't do justice to 215, super twisty, the part between Balsam and Rosman is considered a premier motorcycle road and motorcyclists love twisty. Rosman would be a much better bet.
Thank you. This is exactly what I am looking for. What can you tell me about Rosman? Is it rural? Mostly houses or trailers? Safe?

Old 06-24-2017, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Thank you. This is exactly what I am looking for. What can you tell me about Rosman? Is it rural? Mostly houses or trailers? Safe?
First off I only mentioned Rosman because you mentioned Balsam Grove. I will give you a few of my extremely subjective impressions

As a left leaning northeasterner shopping real estate here 3 years ago I wouldn't have even considered Rosman. The people I knew who lived here considered it backwards, a little dangerous, remote and the area in Transylvania County known for meth labs. It's also further from Asheville and the airport.

After living here for 3 years my impressions are somewhat different. I don't think the meth labs are much of an issue any more, I don't find Rosman dangerous. There are some nice properties, you could get more acreage and more privacy for less money. However I haven't seen many HOAs there.

You will be stuck shopping in Brevard, however it's a pretty fast commute. For groceries the Save-mor (actually a pretty good one as Sav-mors go) on the west side of Brevard allows you to skip the downtown traffic, otherwise you'll have to drive through town. Medical services are nil. Rosman has it's own school district and they score lower than Brevard's. Police Dept is county. There are maybe 2 or 3 restaurants, I do like the Mexican place downtown. The town center has a touch more character than Pisgah Forest, but that's not saying much. If you like Trump you will find plenty of like minded souls. Also plenty of Baptist churches are close at hand.

If your friends are into gardening, fishing, hunting, motorcycling or hiking Rosman would be nice. The state is planning to open a huge park out that way called Headwaters. Rosman is close to the Jocassee Gamelands, Gorges State Park, Panthertown and Nantahala. For mountain biking Rosman is not as close to the major spots as Brevard, but for road biking I would think it would be very good. Also there is nice kayaking on that part of the French Broad.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNCFUSE View Post
First off I only mentioned Rosman because you mentioned Balsam Grove. I will give you a few of my extremely subjective impressions

As a left leaning northeasterner shopping real estate here 3 years ago I wouldn't have even considered Rosman. The people I knew who lived here considered it backwards, a little dangerous, remote and the area in Transylvania County known for meth labs. It's also further from Asheville and the airport.

After living here for 3 years my impressions are somewhat different. I don't think the meth labs are much of an issue any more, I don't find Rosman dangerous. There are some nice properties, you could get more acreage and more privacy for less money. However I haven't seen many HOAs there.

You will be stuck shopping in Brevard, however it's a pretty fast commute. For groceries the Save-mor (actually a pretty good one as Sav-mors go) on the west side of Brevard allows you to skip the downtown traffic, otherwise you'll have to drive through town. Medical services are nil. Rosman has it's own school district and they score lower than Brevard's. Police Dept is county. There are maybe 2 or 3 restaurants, I do like the Mexican place downtown. The town center has a touch more character than Pisgah Forest, but that's not saying much. If you like Trump you will find plenty of like minded souls. Also plenty of Baptist churches are close at hand.

If your friends are into gardening, fishing, hunting, motorcycling or hiking Rosman would be nice. The state is planning to open a huge park out that way called Headwaters. Rosman is close to the Jocassee Gamelands, Gorges State Park, Panthertown and Nantahala. For mountain biking Rosman is not as close to the major spots as Brevard, but for road biking I would think it would be very good. Also there is nice kayaking on that part of the French Broad.
Thank you for the great info. It sounds like it would work for them. They are looking for peace and quiet. They enjoy driving the BRP and taking in the scenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina