Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 03:19 PM

329 posts, read 249,937 times

Advertisements

I stopped reading after seeing some 'nekkid' people (yes there's a difference between 'nekkid' and 'naked').

If you really want to see actual roughing it, check out Eustace Conway...creates most things himself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 03:54 PM

204 posts, read 202,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Baptist View Post
I stopped reading after seeing some 'nekkid' people (yes there's a difference between 'nekkid' and 'naked').

If you really want to see actual roughing it, check out Eustace Conway...creates most things himself
I think it’s absolutely amazing what he created just outside of Boone,really like his philosophy!

Old 01-09-2019, 06:18 PM

329 posts, read 249,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelmom View Post
I think it’s absolutely amazing what he created just outside of Boone,really like his philosophy!

Ditto, I love his respect of nature, and also his willingness to use it. His willingness to use permaculture reminds me of Joel Salatin.

I want to take one of Turtle Island's blacksmithing courses at some point.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:02 PM

3 posts, read 3,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Surely we understand what the living conditions were 'back in the days' -- way back in the days. It was pretty much the norm to live off the land; they even had clothing, crude clothing maybe, but evolution was a good teacher and people learned about diseases and resulting deaths.

To each their own, I personally could care less how these airheads want to live, like Neanderthals and thumb their dirty fingers at society. What are they out to prove by the way they buck society by making a statement? of what? A local "Naked and Afraid" episode maybe.

Just don't procreate and bring innocent babies into this disgusting scenario. Let them over 18 live in filth and degradation. This is a civilized society (for the most part) and there IS a Dept. for Children's Protective Services; and if there is a child living in that filth, he/she should be removed.

Do these forest dwellers have parents of their own? I pity them the anguish of how their offspring live. And please, spare me the definition of breeding and procreating.
you're a dumb ***** and should keep your mouth shut and out of peoples business. you social terrorist

Last edited by Lizap; 07-31-2023 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: Personal Attack

Old 07-15-2019, 12:41 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
My question is - who owns this land? And is it legal for those people to be on it?

Anyway, I can understand the attraction of communes for some people, but for me this is over the top. Just waaaaay too primitive....

Old 07-16-2019, 01:32 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
I could handle it for a few weeks in the shoulder seasons. I wouldn't want to be outside like that in the dead of winter.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:34 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,036,589 times
Quote:
Once a week, several group members take a truck into a nearby town to use the computers at a public library to email family or read the news.
We don't need your stinkin' society, we're off the grid!

Except... you know.. when we're not.

Old 03-25-2021, 07:48 PM

1 posts, read 894 times
I am wondering how I can find or contact Wildroots. Does anyone know?

Old 03-25-2021, 09:16 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildone987 View Post
I am wondering how I can find or contact Wildroots. Does anyone know?
They have a website: wildroots.org . They say they are not open to visitors now, but to contact them in the spring.

Old 07-22-2023, 03:52 PM

6 posts, read 7,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleMan View Post
Shelton Laurel, in Madison Co. not near much of anywhere.
I was curious about this, so I did a little digging. The Wild Roots community is (was?) located in Swannanoa, NC, just east of Asheville, but in a remote forested mountain cove.

However, their website no longer exists, and all I could find was a Facebook page, which says nothing about any kind of community living there. I also found an airbnb entry under the name Wildroots, which seems to be advertising a tiny home which is NOT off-grid and is quite modern with many amenities. The location is indeed in the same cove in Swannanoa, so there must be some connection -- but has none of the primitive, off-gridness of the original community. If they still exist, they sure are keeping it a secret. Perhaps the owner of the property sold or they disbanded? I'd love to find out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina