Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 05:07 PM

24 posts, read 28,267 times

Advertisements

I visited this community about 2 years ago and was quite disappointed in what I saw. Maybe I missed something but the so called downtown appeared to be about 2 blocks long. There did not appear to be any neighborhoods with most houses spread far apart. Why is this community popular beyond being fairly close to Asheville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 11:43 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysteven View Post
I visited this community about 2 years ago and was quite disappointed in what I saw. Maybe I missed something but the so called downtown appeared to be about 2 blocks long. There did not appear to be any neighborhoods with most houses spread far apart. Why is this community popular beyond being fairly close to Asheville?
you probably answered your own question

Old 07-27-2017, 11:50 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,380,824 times
Different strokes, I guess. Here's another perspective:

"We're finally settled in after our move and we LOVE IT here in Weaverville!

We found a home a half mile north of Blue Mountain pizza and one block off of main street. Although close to everything, we're on a secluded street with one neighbor and feel like we're all alone. Love dropping by Well-Bred, Allgood and Blue Mountain pizza for some coffee or grub. We walked to Tommy's family restaurant today for breakfast and went grocery shopping at Aldi's and Ingles afterwards, both being less than a mile away from our house. Very convenient to say the least!

One of our favorite things about living here is being ten minutes away from both AV and the Blue Ridge Parkway. I frequently bypass I-26 and take the BRP to and from different places in the area. Nothing beats taking the parkway home with the sunroof and windows wide open on a 75 degree day after work! I feel like I've hit the lottery every time that I take that route home. So peaceful and relaxing ...

WV also has so much to offer, good schools and convenience to everything. In the past two weeks we've visited or hiked Max Patch, Craggy Gardens, Mt. Mitchell, Marshall, Pisgah, Dupont and more. Our German Shepherd loves splashing in the creeks at Pisgah, and we had an awesome time cooking out near Sliding Rock for Memorial Day. We're having a cookout later today at Lake Louise in Weaverville, just us, the dog and whoever we run into while there.

We've found the people here to be extremely nice too. When you're respectful and friendly, people here bend over backwards to have a conversation with you. The folks at the vineyard are unbelievably cool, relaxed and have treated us like family since coming aboard. The staff at our kids schools are top notch too."

We finally landed in Weaverville!

Old 07-28-2017, 05:58 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,164 times
IMO you are correct. I would look at Hendersonville.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:03 PM

730 posts, read 775,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
IMO you are correct. I would look at Hendersonville.
And others of us think Hendersonville is any suburb USA in addition to being the conservative magnet for a liberal city.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:47 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,610,355 times
What does it matter?
There are dozens of towns/places in 'western NC'...go find one that you like and fills your needs.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:07 PM

159 posts, read 183,575 times
One problem that Weaverville has is geographic. There is a deep ravine/hollow to the East of downtown so you're kind of restricted in terms of access to or from that side. The east side is more level but with I-26 so close, there are only a few blocks width there; not really suitable for north/south traffic. Weaver Blvd. where all the big stores are is the only east/west access to the other side of I-26.Main Street is pretty nearly all there is.

Having a WallMart and Lowe's so any business that might compete or overlap with either of those establishments is at a considerable disadvantage. That's been the story in a lot of towns.

Old 07-29-2017, 03:06 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
What does it matter?
There are dozens of towns/places in 'western NC'...go find one that you like and fills your needs.
^^^ this ^^^

Old 07-29-2017, 08:34 PM

212 posts, read 426,689 times
After about 2 years away from searching for my "happy place", I will be going back to Weaverville to again see how it feels.

For me, it ticked off quite a few boxes, while my husband says he prefers Hendersonville. He thinks that there was more to the town, which is understandable. I think he might feel more comfortable in a suburban type setting. All I know is that the traffic was a bit insane down there, and that it seemed more diffuse and more generic, more commercial and less artisanal.

I am attracted to a mountain town, with nature more evident, and after experiencing an awesome Halloween in Weaverville, we went back for the Christmas holidays and enjoyed that, too. The spirit of the town, along with the surrounding mountain vistas was the draw for me. We parked our butts at Allgood Coffee and everyone knew everyone who came in the door, and we were welcomed into the fold in such a natural way that I kind of marvelled at it. That, plus the relative ease of getting to downtown Asheville, makes Weaverville more interesting than Hendersonville to me. It just depends on what you're looking for, specifically.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:19 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysteven View Post
That's it in a nutshell. You might check out Brevard which I found to be the formula I was looking for...standalone downtown with plenty to see and do, 30 minutes from Asheville and 15 minutes from Hendersonville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina