Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 08:22 AM

4,782 posts, read 10,557,693 times

Advertisements

drfranklin,
-No idea of our ISP cost alone, at our EscapeWinter house in SW FL, as Comcrap does not break out the ISP monthly fee...my guess is ~ $40 -$60 a month, if one were to have Internet only from them.

Our internet there is very fast, as in 60+ down and 20-25 up, but that is typical good 'cable' performance in my experience.

-No ATT Uverse available 'up here', though we do have a late 1950s in Bulgaria-like AT&T land line.

-Charter/Spectrum cable ends about a mile down our 4 mile road: it was there in 2001 when we moved in and it will be there in the future after I am croaked. They have zero interest in running their line any further up our mountain, though there are ~ 20 houses 'up here'. The econ doesn't work for them and they could not care less during my twice a year phone call, 'asking'.

-Have never had Sat for internet, (we do have DISH sat for TV), but a neighbor did and his 'speeds' were not acceptable to him and the outages/latency were considerable. He too now has our Skyrunner service...

Is our Skyrunner ISP a crummy deal? Well, it probably is, but we don't have choices, and they know it.

It is what it is; living 'up here' is wonderful, but it comes with some trade offs and very few 'suburban' amenities.
GL, mD

Pano view from our deck, yesterday afternoon, with the daily soakers heading our way...a test shot with my new smart phone.
Attached Thumbnails
How is Internet/Phone Service in Hendersonville these days?-pano-view-deck-cellphone-8-11  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 09:06 AM

39 posts, read 33,602 times
We are in due diligence for a home off Howard Gap road just east of I-26...a little in the hills. Seems like the worst of two evils; Morris vs. AT&T.
I'll be researching both but feel like we will start with Morris Broadband and see what that does.
Wishing that Spectrum makes it's way up there someday (just like you MD).
Current owner and her spouse worked from home so something must have worked.
Wish us luck.
Thanks for this topic and answers.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:48 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,138,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flsky View Post
We are in due diligence for a home off Howard Gap road just east of I-26...a little in the hills. Seems like the worst of two evils; Morris vs. AT&T.
I'll be researching both but feel like we will start with Morris Broadband and see what that does.
Wishing that Spectrum makes it's way up there someday (just like you MD).
Current owner and her spouse worked from home so something must have worked.
Wish us luck.
Thanks for this topic and answers.
That's how I felt, two very bad choices. I would be rolling the dice where I would have been living.

Maybe that's why the owners are selling?

Old 08-14-2017, 05:03 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,454,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
That's how I felt, two very bad choices. I would be rolling the dice where I would have been living.

Maybe that's why the owners are selling?

Sorry to disagree kmarc, but you are so far off base regarding Morris by giving other newcomers poor information without any experience of your own. The reason I'm one of their large population of satisfied users is that in 14 years, I've never had a problem that was their fault. We can have some terrific storms here that are usually the culprit; lightening strikes etc. Automobile accidents and so forth.

The name was Mediacom initially. They went under and were purchased and greatly improved by Morris. Their service people are top notch, if there is an issue, I have to say in my experience a service person is out the same day or within a few hours at the most. If you go to their office located downtown Hendersonville, it says a lot about a company that the same employees are at the desk that have been there from the Mediacom days; and are pleasant and accommodating.

From what I've heard from neighbors and friends who have tried AT&T, the great percentage got rid of iAT&T after their contract expired. AT&T and Direct TV are now 'one'. Dish TV has a decent reputation here if people prefer dish. I do believe the large majority here go with Morris.

How in the world would you know anything about their (or any) service here; I don't believe you've ever lived here, or have you ? To ask whether the owners of a property are selling because of a cable network service is not only ludicrous and wrong, but is totally misleading to newcomers who are thrilled to have purchased a lovely home here that has no stigma that I've heard of.

Last edited by QuilterChick; 08-14-2017 at 05:15 PM..

Old 08-14-2017, 07:30 PM

395 posts, read 460,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
AT&T and Direct TV are now 'one'.
This is true but to be sure people understand, one does not have to have both. We only have internet through AT&T and nothing else. The cost for it is $57/month, and there is no contract involved.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Sorry to disagree kmarc, but you are so far off base regarding Morris by giving other newcomers poor information without any experience of your own. The reason I'm one of their large population of satisfied users is that in 14 years, I've never had a problem that was their fault. We can have some terrific storms here that are usually the culprit; lightening strikes etc. Automobile accidents and so forth.

The name was Mediacom initially. They went under and were purchased and greatly improved by Morris. Their service people are top notch, if there is an issue, I have to say in my experience a service person is out the same day or within a few hours at the most. If you go to their office located downtown Hendersonville, it says a lot about a company that the same employees are at the desk that have been there from the Mediacom days; and are pleasant and accommodating.

From what I've heard from neighbors and friends who have tried AT&T, the great percentage got rid of iAT&T after their contract expired. AT&T and Direct TV are now 'one'. Dish TV has a decent reputation here if people prefer dish. I do believe the large majority here go with Morris.

How in the world would you know anything about their (or any) service here; I don't believe you've ever lived here, or have you ? To ask whether the owners of a property are selling because of a cable network service is not only ludicrous and wrong, but is totally misleading to newcomers who are thrilled to have purchased a lovely home here that has no stigma that I've heard of.
First of all, QC, I've never seen you sorry to disagree with anyone. Secondly, I was just following your excellent advice to do due diligence before moving and I am shocked, I tell you, SHOCKED that you would give anyone a hard time regarding such an issue, especially since you recently called someone out for failing to do so. And if I recall, it involved internet.

In doing my own research, I found the reviews of Morris to be underwhelming, to say the least. It's not necessary to live there to read reviews written by people who do and who are having a difficult time with the service. I'm sure MBB is adequate for posting on City Data. For work, however, it seems to be a different story depending upon WHERE in the Hendersonville area you live. You may have an excellent experience with them and I have been quite clear in stating that not all areas seem to be problematic. And I discovered this by actually contacting, via phone, people who DO live in the area and are in business in Hendersonville. They explained to me where MBB seemed to function well and where it didn't and the topographical factors involved. I was most grateful for their assistance.

I was making a joke when I asked if the people were selling because of their internet service, but forgot to put one of those cutesy little emoticons afterward.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:15 AM

526 posts, read 457,119 times
I will tell ya my experience with DirecTV/AT&T. If you pay thru THEIR website with a debit card or CC they will Keep your card number and continue to charge months AFTER you cancel.
Their official response after charging me for MONTHS after cancelling was We own your debit card once you put it in our database. I had to fight them thru the NC Dept of Justice to get my money back. I had to cancel my card to get them to stop taking my money. They ruled in my favor that DirecTV had no right to keep my info.

Old 08-16-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear Hunter View Post
I will tell ya my experience with DirecTV/AT&T. If you pay thru THEIR website with a debit card or CC they will Keep your card number and continue to charge months AFTER you cancel.
Their official response after charging me for MONTHS after cancelling was We own your debit card once you put it in our database. I had to fight them thru the NC Dept of Justice to get my money back. I had to cancel my card to get them to stop taking my money. They ruled in my favor that DirecTV had no right to keep my info.
Bear Hunter, I just wanted to acknowledge how much that stinks. It's a shame that you had to go through the justice department to get your money back. Sigh, it's just part of today's predatory business environment, which seems to be global, not a North Carolina problem. I still get bills from an insurance company whose policy I cancelled over a year ago. I've written and called them until I'm blue in the face and keep getting the same answer: ignore it. So that's what I do, but due to your post, I think I'm going to contact my representative's office and have them settle the matter for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina