Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 11:26 AM

642 posts, read 668,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingFromLI View Post
I get the feeling I will hear plenty on LI accents in town.

Honestly we are very excited and a bit terrified, lots to do with the house up here.

THe wife and the poodle will need some bear & snake avoidance training.

Change is good, right ??!!??
Yes, change is good - that bit terrified feeling is what keeps your heart pumping and when that stops, well, you know! Better to be a bit off balance than bored and complacent - makes you work harder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 12:49 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,348,305 times
Quote:
I get the feeling I will hear plenty on LI accents in town.
What's a longuyland accent?

Everything in NY is upstate, except for "The" city. (I miss Broadway very much)

You'll probably miss real pizza and bagels (I do...along with "Hey, 'Ant-ney, trow a pie in da oven fer der lad-e her"), but perhaps not the overrated giant duck.

But that's all counteracted by lacrosse, polo and vineyards. Depends on which side of the tracks you come from.

Now it's mountains and rivers and small town living. It's good.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:21 PM

18 posts, read 43,766 times
We stayed in Cummings Cove at Christmas a couple of years ago and love it. I'm confused as to what the HOA fees are though. We're moving soon to be close to our daughters and are considering CC.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:03 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,601,388 times
My CEO is from Glen Head and can still turn her accent on when she wants to, though she can do expressions of western NC, like she is a native here, also.

We migrated from metro NY in Sept 2001, just after 9-11, (coincidental as our mtn house was done), and yes we 'miss' TheCity, but do not miss woik, etc.

Kidz and other fam are still in NJ/NY, so we do 3 summer drive trips to see the gang and catch up...

You will love it here!
GL, mD

Old 09-01-2017, 09:26 AM

38 posts, read 43,482 times
So excited for you to join our WNC family! I'm a newbie resident too (part time for now), but have visited the area since I was little. any questions, I'd love to help if I can!

Old 09-01-2017, 01:42 PM

156 posts, read 147,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaciFL View Post
We stayed in Cummings Cove at Christmas a couple of years ago and love it. I'm confused as to what the HOA fees are though. We're moving soon to be close to our daughters and are considering CC.
There is a:

Mandatory community fee
Recreation or golf membership fee (not mandatory)
Sewer Fee (we have public sewer and water)
If you want a golf cart there is a fee

And if you build your builder has fees to the developer which I assume get past on...

But it seems to be very friendly, outgoing place.. we are looking forward to.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:45 PM

156 posts, read 147,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
My CEO is from Glen Head and can still turn her accent on when she wants to, though she can do expressions of western NC, like she is a native here, also.

We migrated from metro NY in Sept 2001, just after 9-11, (coincidental as our mtn house was done), and yes we 'miss' TheCity, but do not miss woik, etc.

Kidz and other fam are still in NJ/NY, so we do 3 summer drive trips to see the gang and catch up...

You will love it here!
GL, mD
Oh, I think it will be hard to lose my Nassau accent...we will probably do a few rebounds a year too.

Thanks again to all the forum people.. I am sure I will have more questions as this get real

Old 09-15-2017, 07:08 AM

18 posts, read 43,766 times
Quote:
There is a:

Mandatory community fee
Recreation or golf membership fee (not mandatory)
Sewer Fee (we have public sewer and water)
If you want a golf cart there is a fee

And if you build your builder has fees to the developer which I assume get past on...

But it seems to be very friendly, outgoing place.. we are looking forward to.
Good to know, thanks. We don't golf, but I love driving my golf cart around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: