Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 05:37 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,819,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear Hunter View Post
And Folks survived, just like Folks will survive this one.
Jeeesh there was a line to get into Aldis yesterday before it even opened, Sam's Club was like 4th of July weekend, the Gas House had no gas. Sorry but I don't panic.
Maybe all those other people were just like you and "not panicking"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 05:38 PM

81 posts, read 67,519 times
Quote:
Jeeesh there was a line to get into Aldis yesterday before it even opened, Sam's Club was like 4th of July weekend, the Gas House had no gas. Sorry but I don't panic.
And the folks that didn't survive didn't. Wow a wise man! If lines at Aldis, and the lack of gas at the Gas House are already upsetting you, I can just imagine how stoic you'd be suffering the depravations of a real hurricane.

Old 09-09-2017, 05:49 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:

And some didn't survive. We're not in a panic either but better safe then sorry.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:23 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Definitely better safe than sorry.

Hurricane Ivan and Hurricane Frances killed 11 people in Western NC From the archives: Impact of Frances, Ivan lingers years later .

The great Asheville floods of 1916 and 1940 were caused by hurricanes and tropical storms and killed many more than that.

And 153 people died in Nelson County VA (in the mountains near Wintergreen and Charlottesville) during flooding caused by Hurricane Camille.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:32 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Sending you prayers and wishing you luck on your winter digs, mD
AAB, Thank You...

Ain't looking good, but maybe the EscapeWinter joint was built better than I think it was...
4 yr old construction, to quite strict code, but I never really wanted to test drive a house at 100-120 mph, down the road, to see how it handled.

If Irma would just keep waddling a few degs more of longitude west, most of the FL Gulf coast would be breathing sighs of relief, but I suspect it will turn north any time now.

I am glad I am not there; we have several friends that are hunkered down in their houses in both our previous Naples community and in our Venice area community.

It is what it will be.
BR, mD

Old 09-10-2017, 01:50 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,609,176 times
Irma made landfall at Marco Island, FL at 3:35pm EDT today as a Cat 3 hurricane - not sure how close this is to MD's winter retreat...
(schools closed here tomorrow due to possible Irma impact)

Last edited by drfranklin; 09-10-2017 at 02:00 PM..

Old 09-10-2017, 03:39 PM

526 posts, read 460,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
Maybe all those other people were just like you and "not panicking"...
There's a difference between Panicking and being Prepared. Buying all the milk and bread one can carry is panicking, filling up all your cars, lawnmowers and gas cans is panicking and just drives the prices up and causes shortages. If the roads are so bad that stores are closed and shelves are empty ya can't go no place anyway. Sure aren't going to cut your grass. Haven't ya been listening to the governors and FEMA workers?
Anyway who doesn't have enough food in their house to last at least 2-3 days or more?

Old 09-10-2017, 11:51 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
It's gotten very windy out there. Please bring your pets in if they are outside. Stay safe.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:15 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,609,176 times
Has anyone heard from Motor David? I think he currently resides in Waynesville (not Sarasota)

Old 09-11-2017, 09:57 AM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
Thank You, Drfranklin...
Yes, we are here at our western NC Mtn home.

Our EscapeWinter house came through OK, even without the front window 'Cane shutters up.

A few trees, large plants and assorted landscaping that I had planted over the past four winter seasons are toppled or simply 'gone'.

Our community there came through in surprisingly OK shape, though reports are mostly from peeps that lucked out vs people out fixing stuff.

Water main broke in nearby town, so it may be days before they have water. And, elec power is 'scheduled' for later this week, maybe. I would not want to have been there last night, or even now, as living conditions will quickly resemble living in the jungles of Borneo with no elec, A/C, et al.

Our good friends in our previous Naples community also came through OK, though those winds/wind driven rain were extreme, speed wise. Some trees down, some roof tiles gone, a few broken roofs, but all we know there are OK.

Our SIL's ex biz partner, (his best friend), chose to ride out storm at his full time Key West place...no one has heard from him, and it was a dumb decision, imo.

Landscaping can be replaced, and it gives me something to do there this winter. I am working on better window/door 'Cane protection ideas for there this winter that would be accepted by the Pollyanna HOA, be easy to do for a house watcher vs putting up shutters, etc.

Lots of people in S FL with nothing left and no where to go back to, but most of those we know, inc us, were very lucky and dodge the bullets.

Now, we just have to put up with a couple days of serious wind driven sideways rains up here on the Mtn, and some serious azz winds later this eve. We survived the remnants of 'Canes F & I, and I am confident we will get through the next couple days, at this very windy altitude.

Thank You for wondering and inquiring!
GL, mD

A quick cell phone pic of the front of our FL joint, by a neighbor friend, who chose to stay during the storm...some 'stuff' missing from my front landscaping project, but we were damn lucky!
Attached Thumbnails
Irma could possibly hit Asheville-fl-joint-irma-cell-pic-ira  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina