Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2006, 01:43 AM

131 posts, read 188,647 times

Advertisements

NC has lots of different culture,Although WNC is more laid back with a high %
of New Yorkers,It is very different from Eastern NC by a long shot.from Asheville west is a different [url] talks a lot about the easy life style.

Last edited by Yac; 12-09-2006 at 05:35 AM.. Reason: link removed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2006, 08:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Majic View Post
NC has lots of different culture,Although WNC is more laid back with a high %
of New Yorkers,It is very different from Eastern NC by a long shot.from Asheville west is a different [url] talks a lot about the easy life style.
WNC is nice,I like Asheville,I also have family down there.

Old 12-15-2006, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,334 times
WNC used to be great. Now it's going downhill fast, thanks to people moving in. Real estate prices are out of control, and it seems like everyone's becoming a realtor now in order to cash in. Can't blame 'em; it's about the only way to make a decent living, unless you want to sell "authentic mountain" trinkets to ignorant tourists for ten times their value.

As a native, it's extremely disheartening to watch the place you love be ruined right before your eyes. What's even more infuriating is the people that move here for the "simple life" or the "quaint little mountain towns" and then promptly want to tell the natives how backward they are and how things are done so much better back in New Jersey/Connecticut/Michigan/New York/fill in the blank. Begs the question - If things were so great, why did you leave?

I know there are also some wonderful people moving in from these places, and I'm painting with a broad brush here. I don't mean to lump people together and say that all "outsiders" are "bad". But WNC seems to attract plenty of those who have more money than respect for the community they buy their way into.

There's a reason you see bumper stickers that read "Help keep North Carolina beautiful - Go back to Florida". :-)

Last edited by Slick345; 12-15-2006 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: remove unnecessary sarcasm

Old 12-16-2006, 11:56 AM

179 posts, read 582,627 times
Default Slick345

Slick345,
Being from Connecticut, I'm glad you at least acknowledged that all of us aren't the same. We are a late 50's couple looking to retire to NC next year. Our main focus if finding a nice rural area in the country that won't eventually turn into the way it is in Connecticut now, and be accepted by the local people who grew up there. I realize that with the influx of people to NC there has to be growth, but I'm hoping some towns will have the foresight to control it. Even back here we have towns that require a minimum size property to build on for residential areas, and some that have limitations on commercial growth. It would be a shame to move to a dream country setting, only to have it turn into what we just left. I hope you town is in some way able to get a handle on the growth so that you don't see the same hometown type area you grew up in disappear like I did.

Bill

Last edited by billjr; 12-16-2006 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: Add title

Old 12-16-2006, 01:06 PM

462 posts, read 1,876,363 times
It's kinda funny, recently my aunt was offered 1.5 million for the same poor ol' 100 acre dirt farm, up on the side of the mountain, that she tried to sell in the 1970's for $30,000.00. Oh well.

Old 12-16-2006, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budong View Post
It's kinda funny, recently my aunt was offered 1.5 million for the same poor ol' 100 acre dirt farm, up on the side of the mountain, that she tried to sell in the 1970's for $30,000.00. Oh well.
did she sell it to these people?

Old 12-16-2006, 05:05 PM

462 posts, read 1,876,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Majic View Post
did she sell it to these people?
No. She's in her late 80's now. Her son, who's financially well off, takes care of her. And he's not going to sell. It's what we call the "family place." The family has lived there for nearly 180 years. Poor as they were. It comes with a family graveyard.

Old 12-16-2006, 08:27 PM

474 posts, read 2,192,007 times
Good for them ! More people should keep their home place and family values. This beautiful area needs to be preserved.

Old 12-16-2006, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budong View Post
No. She's in her late 80's now. Her son, who's financially well off, takes care of her. And he's not going to sell. It's what we call the "family place." The family has lived there for nearly 180 years. Poor as they were. It comes with a family graveyard.
Land and houses are getting expensive everywhere.I buy and sell a lot of properties and the prices they are bringing is being drove up by people living beyond their means in other and think they have found an escape route in NC,
I started this thread in response of a person asking about it on another post in NY.Being nice I found a city-data that I pionted to answer that question.
When I did it stopped the subways in NY,They moved it to NC,and removed that link and some freeked.But all true it is a great place to live and has a lot to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina