Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 02:54 PM

279 posts, read 533,770 times

Advertisements

So this is tangential to your question but parent-to-parent I say this:

I don't think I'd put my son on that football team. I wouldn't let him play football anyway but that's even more off topic.

My perspective on Christ School is that it has a drug problem. I switched from driving a cab to Uber/Lyft in July and because I live nearby I'm there 3-5 times a week and it is often kids on the sports teams. I'm not an idiot and I'm pretty sure these round trips are drug deals and have been told so by passengers on several occasions. I'm a dad and I do talk to them in a way that makes an impression without seeming judgemental.

When all of Asheville was 3.7 surge on a Saturday night I accepted a non-surge pickup in Weaverville and because of the unusual name I thought it was one of these kids I'd driven before and I was right. Could have made much more money doing short runs in town. I'm not even supposed to pick up minors.

It was a long drive. 45 minutes back to the school. Nighttime construction. He was coming down from coke and talk was what he couldn't help but do. He'd just "done it with two girls." Down, down, down. Self doubt sets in. Would you buy me some beer? No. I'll give you 50 bucks. No.

He'd been in the big game that day against Asheville and it sounded like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Dallas_Forty

Wow. That is not fun or achievement. We get to the school and he says he feels like poo. Of course you do. You're 16. You took performance drugs and played in the big game and went to a party and did more drugs and had sex twice and now you are here where everything is quiet and there's a mirror in your bathroom and you will get in bed and wish for sleep until all that wears off. The highs you get that don't come with lower lows are the ones you want. You should come for dinner on Sunday. I'll pick you up. He did come.

Many of the kids that reside there reside there because their parents have lots of money and no emotional intelligence. Do you want your kid hanging out with those kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 08:04 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
Any school with a high price tag and absentee parents usually have major drug problems.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:12 AM

12 posts, read 13,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuck View Post
So this is tangential to your question but parent-to-parent I say this:

I don't think I'd put my son on that football team. I wouldn't let him play football anyway but that's even more off topic.

My perspective on Christ School is that it has a drug problem. I switched from driving a cab to Uber/Lyft in July and because I live nearby I'm there 3-5 times a week and it is often kids on the sports teams. I'm not an idiot and I'm pretty sure these round trips are drug deals and have been told so by passengers on several occasions. I'm a dad and I do talk to them in a way that makes an impression without seeming judgemental.

When all of Asheville was 3.7 surge on a Saturday night I accepted a non-surge pickup in Weaverville and because of the unusual name I thought it was one of these kids I'd driven before and I was right. Could have made much more money doing short runs in town. I'm not even supposed to pick up minors.

It was a long drive. 45 minutes back to the school. Nighttime construction. He was coming down from coke and talk was what he couldn't help but do. He'd just "done it with two girls." Down, down, down. Self doubt sets in. Would you buy me some beer? No. I'll give you 50 bucks. No.

He'd been in the big game that day against Asheville and it sounded like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Dallas_Forty

Wow. That is not fun or achievement. We get to the school and he says he feels like poo. Of course you do. You're 16. You took performance drugs and played in the big game and went to a party and did more drugs and had sex twice and now you are here where everything is quiet and there's a mirror in your bathroom and you will get in bed and wish for sleep until all that wears off. The highs you get that don't come with lower lows are the ones you want. You should come for dinner on Sunday. I'll pick you up. He did come.

Many of the kids that reside there reside there because their parents have lots of money and no emotional intelligence. Do you want your kid hanging out with those kids?
Thank you for the perspective. Drugs/alcohol are a HUGE problem where we live now. Kids have too much time and money at their disposal; it's really scary stuff and we work on staying involved in their lives but as their parents not their friends.

I have a hard time understanding the school systems in NC. In CT it is pretty much town based, not county based, and my town has one high school, two middle schools, and six small elementary schools.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evensen007 View Post

A couple of other areas to check out (that would probably put you out of range of Christ School) would be Weaverville which hasn't experienced the population explosion of South Asheville. Hendersonville would be another one further south of Fletcher.

Thanks for the suggestion on Weaverville. We were there last week and that was our favorite. I liked the Hendersonville cute main street, but didn't like all the build-up around it and that we had to drive through some pretty run down areas to get to houses we liked.

Now I just need to tackle figuring out the public schools......

Old 12-10-2017, 09:03 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportyfamilyof5 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion on Weaverville. We were there last week and that was our favorite. I liked the Hendersonville cute main street, but didn't like all the build-up around it and that we had to drive through some pretty run down areas to get to houses we liked.

That happens sometimes when folks don't know how to get from 'here to there'. The majority of homes in the city are very expensive. Fifth Av. for example has some prices that would knock your sox off. Without knowing what streets you took, there is no way to tell where you ventured into. Every city has their 'iffy' areas.

Too bad you didn't have some good advice before you ventured out? There are some excellent real estate offices on Main St., and the agents would have given you the local maps outlining areas of interest to you -- and they won't even bother you, they know people need 'direction'. The Visitor's Center in any of the WNC towns have the same maps. In your price range, there are some beautiful subdivisions surrounding the city within approx. 9 miles or so, you just have to know the roads, same everywhere. You won't get much for $400K though in the Asheville area(s). The Henderson County public schools are excellent, and awarded.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:48 PM

6,626 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:

We looked in the Weaverville area. Although nice, compared to Hendersonville, just not alot there. Hendersonville has a real sense of community. I agree with the former poster, there are some very nice areas/homes in the Hendersonville/Flat Rock area. They're hard to find when you don't know where they are.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:28 AM

It's nice to read that we probably need to re-look at Hendersonville. Although the high schools in Weaverville and Hendersonville share similar rankings and stats, the middle schools do not. The middle school serving Hendersonville seems to be better based on available data I've reviewed.

I was offered the job so I have some decisions to make!

Old 12-13-2017, 10:35 AM

6,626 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
It's nice to read that we probably need to re-look at Hendersonville. Although the high schools in Weaverville and Hendersonville share similar rankings and stats, the middle schools do not. The middle school serving Hendersonville seems to be better based on available data I've reviewed.

I was offered the job so I have some decisions to make!
Congratulations!

Old 12-13-2017, 12:15 PM

902 posts, read 807,172 times
We moved to Weaverville in May and have three kids (8, 13 and 15) in three different schools here (WV Elementary, N. Buncombe Middle and N. Buncombe High). Can't praise the school system here enough, as well as the area too. Looking back we're glad that we passed on Hendersonville, but to each their own as everyone has different needs and wants in moving to the area.

All three of our kids have adjusted phenomenally well to their schools, been welcomed by everyone and have made a ton of new friends. No issues to report whatsoever. Our kids come home happy with a million stories to tell and recently received their first NC report cards with straight A's across the board. Pretty good start so far, especially for our youngest who has an IEP and two teenagers who left their friends and lives back in another state to start a new journey here in NC.

The only thing that we've found to be different is how many schools kids go through between kindergarten and 12th grade (5 schools) here in WV. They start out at WV Primary (K-1), then WV Elementary (2-4), N. Windy Ridge Intermediate (5-6), NB Middle (7-8) and NB High (9-12). It all depends on where you live at in the area as to what school you will attend (between K - 6th as it's a big, rural area with other closeby towns). We came from a standard 3 school system but everything seems to work fine here though.

Haven't had any issues with N. Buncombe middle school either. They have a tough job to do there as they receive a new mix of students from three different schools every year for 7th grade. Our daughter just entered 7th grade there but she's adjusted just fine, having a half dozen or so sleep overs with all of the new friends that she's made and frequently says that she loves the school. So no issues to report other than she just turned 13 and the boys are starting to take a double take at her now. Lol.

We're very involved, no drama parents who tend to form opinions based on personal interactions and put less focus on reports and statistics, especially with things found online. Not everyone is the same though and we understand. Before we settled on the area we made random appointments for interviews with the school principles, counselors and their staff, dropped by unexpectedly for personal tours and drove through the surrounding communities in both the daytime and nighttime to get a feel for the area and its residents. Not once did we have a bad experience here in WV, in fact everyone treated us as though we had lived here for our entire lives. Can't say the same for Hendersonville, but your experience may vary.

Anyway, congrats on your new position and good luck in your search!

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 12-13-2017 at 01:30 PM..

Old 12-13-2017, 02:50 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTheExplorer View Post
We moved to Weaverville in May and have three kids (8, 13 and 15) in three different schools here (WV Elementary, N. Buncombe Middle and N. Buncombe High). Can't praise the school system here enough, as well as the area too. Looking back we're glad that we passed on Hendersonville, but to each their own as everyone has different needs and wants in moving to the area.

All three of our kids have adjusted phenomenally well to their schools, been welcomed by everyone and have made a ton of new friends. No issues to report whatsoever. Our kids come home happy with a million stories to tell and recently received their first NC report cards with straight A's across the board. Pretty good start so far, especially for our youngest who has an IEP and two teenagers who left their friends and lives back in another state to start a new journey here in NC.

The only thing that we've found to be different is how many schools kids go through between kindergarten and 12th grade (5 schools) here in WV. They start out at WV Primary (K-1), then WV Elementary (2-4), N. Windy Ridge Intermediate (5-6), NB Middle (7-8) and NB High (9-12). It all depends on where you live at in the area as to what school you will attend (between K - 6th as it's a big, rural area with other closeby towns). We came from a standard 3 school system but everything seems to work fine here though.

Haven't had any issues with N. Buncombe middle school either. They have a tough job to do there as they receive a new mix of students from three different schools every year for 7th grade. Our daughter just entered 7th grade there but she's adjusted just fine, having a half dozen or so sleep overs with all of the new friends that she's made and frequently says that she loves the school. So no issues to report other than she just turned 13 and the boys are starting to take a double take at her now. Lol.

We're very involved, no drama parents who tend to form opinions based on personal interactions and put less focus on reports and statistics, especially with things found online. Not everyone is the same though and we understand. Before we settled on the area we made random appointments for interviews with the school principles, counselors and their staff, dropped by unexpectedly for personal tours and drove through the surrounding communities in both the daytime and nighttime to get a feel for the area and its residents. Not once did we have a bad experience here in WV, in fact everyone treated us as though we had lived here for our entire lives. Can't say the same for Hendersonville, but your experience may vary.

Anyway, congrats on your new position and good luck in your search!

Vince, did you have a bad experience in Hendersonville? We would be quite surprised, no one has ever mentioned that. There are no Walt Disney towns anywhere, Orlando, yikes! one of many high crime areas in FL. Can't blame you for relocating to WNC as so many have done; and the increase in population lately has certainly had a big effect on the housing market. I'll bet you can throw a baseball within a radius of your town and find tons of Floridians there, and around Avl.

So glad to hear it's working out so well for you and the family. More photos of that gorgeous pup you all have, bet she loves it here too. Beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina