Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 09:30 PM

13 posts, read 31,579 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the silly post but it is a major concern of mine...I am looking to relocate to Boone, NC and was wondering if waterbugs, american cockroaches or palmetto bugs are a thing there. Is the city infested with them or are they a once in a year kind of thing? I am currently living in South Carolina where they are an infestation here. It is normal for South Carolina to have them but what about Boone, NC? I do love the information on the weather there so I thought maybe i'd be safe.... Any information would be appreciated and thanks in advance....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 05:11 AM

789 posts, read 784,819 times
I live a a bit south of boone in Burnsville NC in the mountains and being from sw fl I glad to report known of what your bug concerns seen in the 20 years since we have been up here . Had a round with some **** ants a 4or 5 years ago but seems like a 50/50 mix of confectionary sugar and borax killed them off early on ..

Come on up and get ya a lot to build on or a home and enjoy .

Old 01-02-2018, 05:36 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,818,373 times
We moved west of Asheville from the Raleigh area. We had palmetto bugs quite frequently in Raleigh, I haven't seen one since we moved here. However last year we had a huge invasion of stink bugs, this year we only had about 10-15. This year it was lady bugs. Ha ha ha. Each area has its own "pests", but I find the ones in this area are less pesty than the ones in Raleigh.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:55 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,520,189 times
Last year we were infested with Stink Bugs and Lady Bugs, inside and outside the house, I'm sure many are tucked away in the attic, and will greet us this Spring.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:07 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
There's a lot of wildlife of all sorts, big and small, around Boone, but I can't recall seeing any palmetto bugs. We've had mice in our house, snakes, carpenter ants, yellow-jackets in the yard (poor dog got stung playing fetch), salamanders, crayfish in the creek, deer, bears, etc.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:26 AM

37 posts, read 56,293 times
let's hope this winters arctic blast culls most of the 'extra' bugs from last winters milder temps that made it through. Especially those nasty stink bugs! when you're sleeping and they fly near your head is the worst!!!

Good luck on the search!

Old 01-02-2018, 09:49 AM

13 posts, read 31,579 times
Thanks to everyone that replied. This gives me piece of mind honestly. I can deal with ants, wasps, flies, even stink bugs..Ha, ha...Those do not bother me. Neither do snakes, spiders or other animals. I would love to see a real deer or bear other than the zoo out my window. I was really scared there for a while because I cannot deal those waterbugs/palmetto bugs or whatever people call them. South Carolina has them, Florida and New York City so I know what they are...Thanks everyone.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:36 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,957 times
We lived in Greenville SC for 4 years and have been in the Boone/Banner Elk area for 30+ either full-time or part-time. No palmetto bugs up here whatsoever. We had a few (3-4) stinkbugs in the house this past fall, but not so bad that I would call it an infestation.

We had a wasp nest in the eaves of our front porch last year. As soon as hubby took it down, they rebuilt in a nearby rhododendron. But they really aren't a big problem.

There are plenty of ways to minimize ants, mice, etc.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:59 AM

76 posts, read 81,383 times
I lived in Boone. No palmetto bugs. Embrace the wooly worm!

Old 01-03-2018, 05:23 AM

789 posts, read 784,819 times
Get a cat or two to control mice !! If the house is well built and maintained the lady and stink bugs are only a problem if they get inside when the doors opened . Pay attention for honey bees . If you do find them around you hang a few traps for yellow jackets and wasp . Watch your bird feeders if you have bear around . Might be better to run them on a pulley to raise them above a bears reach and have a good garbage can . Other wise they can be some what intertaining too . Some areas have an abundance of game and some have very little . Looking for ap[roperty or home ask around and watch the ground for tracks . We have around 8 deer in our surroundings and they even stayed out of the large garden .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina