Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 03:50 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,340,070 times

Advertisements

No...haven't visited either, but am wondering if anyone might know how they stack up in terms of affordability, healthcare. overall quality of life and cost of living. I know that Asherville is off the table due to cost.

This early summer I'll be looking to move from frigid SE PA but do not want the humidity of Florida. I'm 61, single with a couple of large dogs, so I am not interested in 55+ communities. I don't need a lot of amenities other than central air and a food market. My budget is under $200K. An excellent hospital and vet are essential, though (just in case)

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks so much for your attention.

Sandy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 06:35 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,799,021 times
I don't know that many of us are that well versed in the mountains of VA. I would assume that it will be colder there than here in NC (and this winter has been pretty cold!). You might want to look in the Murphy, NC area. Homes seem to be more affordable there from what I had seen when I was looking for a home. Franklin or Sylva are some other nice areas with more affordable homes.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:44 AM

788 posts, read 777,473 times
You might find the 55+ communities at or under 200K limiting in WNC rather limited but a google or bing search for 55+ communities will turn up a few in Western NC to cull thru .

There may be some others that have experience with these adult communities .

Some where to start -

https://www.55places.com/north-carol...north-carolina

Old 01-30-2018, 06:54 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,335,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
You might find the 55+ communities at or under 200K limiting in WNC rather limited but a google or bing search for 55+ communities will turn up a few in Western NC to cull thru .

There may be some others that have experience with these adult communities .

Some where to start -

https://www.55places.com/north-carol...north-carolina
OP said: "... I am not interested in 55+ communities."

Old 01-30-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
No...haven't visited either, but am wondering if anyone might know how they stack up in terms of affordability, healthcare. overall quality of life and cost of living. I know that Asherville is off the table due to cost.

This early summer I'll be looking to move from frigid SE PA but do not want the humidity of Florida. I'm 61, single with a couple of large dogs, so I am not interested in 55+ communities. I don't need a lot of amenities other than central air and a food market. My budget is under $200K. An excellent hospital and vet are essential, though (just in case)

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks so much for your attention.

Sandy
How far from "town" and the hospital do you want to be? And you may not want to give up on Asheville:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/10_zm/0_mmm/

Last edited by BC1960; 01-30-2018 at 07:04 AM..

Old 01-30-2018, 07:36 AM

788 posts, read 777,473 times
Opps !! NO 55+ , got it .

Your money will go farther here in Yancey county and cover your needs well than Asheville but you'll have to decide if city life or a small town or rural live is wanted .

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/11_zm/0_mmm/

Old 01-30-2018, 11:13 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,291,796 times
I like the mountains of VA, blue ridge type rolling hills mountains. The conveniences you mention in towns. Some good colleges such as VA Tech and VMI. You could check the cost of living indicator to see how it stacks up $ wise.

As a native WNC to me the mountains of NC are spectacular and you could get to conveniences you mention in the greater Asheville area but $$$ depending upon how far out you live. But outside. Of Asheville commuting distance the conveniences you mention may not be as prevalent but they are there and the $$ are less.

You know how you want the COL to go.

Good possibilities to consider also:. Upstate SC and northern GA. Both good places to retire , decent places to live, decent COL

Good luck

Old 01-30-2018, 02:21 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,340,070 times
You are all so kind - greatly appreciated! Not a city girl. More suburban or (even better), slightly rural as long as a good hospital is within an hour's drive. LOVE to be able to drive among country roads in the Subaru with all the windows down

Old 01-30-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
You are all so kind - greatly appreciated! Not a city girl. More suburban or (even better), slightly rural as long as a good hospital is within an hour's drive. LOVE to be able to drive among country roads in the Subaru with all the windows down
You can easily find a house for under $200K within an hour of Asheville. Heck, I posted several small houses IN Asheville above, you can get more house for the same money within 30 minutes of A'ville.

Old 01-30-2018, 02:36 PM

410 posts, read 340,340 times
Quote:
Have you looked at Lynchburg, VA? I don't know if I would say that it is "in the moutains," but you are not more than 15 minutes from the mountains. Lynchburg has good shopping and a few decent hospitals, plus a very vibrant downtown with a great farmer's market and the James River. The city has developed walking/cycling trails along the James that stretch for miles.

If Lynchburg is too busy for you, then there are several communities just outside of Lynchburg - Gretna, Altavista, Bedford, Rustburg - are just a few.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina