Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 04:45 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearchingForTheRightPlace View Post
It's significant enough to me. I wish I had an additional 5 degrees on a daily basis here in Maryland.
Whats the average January high and low where you are now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 05:47 AM

526 posts, read 459,511 times
Quote:
Visited Saluda- beautiful little town, unfortunately it's just as cold as here.
It totally depends where you are in the mountains, even the same town or county. I get much less rain on the hill here then Hendersonville or many places in the county. I'm on the east side of a mountain so all the storms from the west all go around us. I can sit on my deck and watch the rain go past, only a mile down the hill it could be flooded, didn't leave my house fri or sat this past wkend and it wasn't bad here at all yet on my way to church Sunday everything was flooded once I got off the hill. Same with the temps here, Always colder here in the winter at 2,600', but summer temps are about the same and we always have a breeze until about 5 or six at night and the temp rises.
As far as the Tryon area over to Forest City it always seems to be 10 degrees warmer. It's flat and little to no breeze. I worked down their two summers and it's brutal. I have an opportunity to work there again this summer but unless I can start at 5-6 am I just can't do it.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:24 AM

54 posts, read 70,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Whats the average January high and low where you are now?
If we're both looking at the same site (Weather Underground),

this is Gaithersburg.
...............Max .....Avg........Min
Max.........66 °F.....41 °F.......16 °F
Mean.......60 °F.....31 °F.......11 °F
Min..........55 °F.....22 °F........1 °F

This is Tryon
...............Max........Avg.........Min
Max.........70 °F......49 °F........30 °F
Mean.......55 °F.......38 °F.......22 °F
Min..........47 °F.......27 °F........9 °F

That was quite an exercise in alignment - I'm glad they don't charge for "."s. Is there a tag to leave spaces in text like a table?

Old 02-13-2018, 08:36 AM

Good info. Look at Taylorsville, NC, as I suggested earlier. January average high/low is 49 degrees and 30 degrees, very comparable to Tryon. Or Elkin...51 degrees and 31 degrees.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear Hunter View Post
It's flat and little to no breeze. I worked down their two summers and it's brutal. I have an opportunity to work there again this summer but unless I can start at 5-6 am I just can't do it.
This is good to know. I'm looking for warmer winters but not scorching summers. Is there anyplace in North Carolina like that? I'm trying to avoid the coast because of the congestion / tourists.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
This is good to know. I'm looking for warmer winters but not scorching summers. Is there anyplace in North Carolina like that? I'm trying to avoid the coast because of the congestion / tourists.
Not really. NC is pretty hot and humid everywhere in the summer unless you get above 3,000 feet in elevation, and then you have significant winter.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Good info. Look at Taylorsville, NC, as I suggested earlier. January average high/low is 49 degrees and 30 degrees, very comparable to Tryon. Or Elkin...51 degrees and 31 degrees.
So, the route back home will include...
Rt 64 to
Morganton,
Taylorsville, pickup 16
Wilksboro & North Wilksboro pick up 268
swing West to the "Run-in Food" store at Boomer
Roaring River
Ronda
Elkin
pick up 601 North
Mt. Airy, pick up 52
Fancy Gap, VA
Hillsville, VA
Roanoak, VA.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:42 PM

526 posts, read 459,511 times
Quote:
Not really. NC is pretty hot and humid everywhere in the summer unless you get above 3,000 feet in elevation, and then you have significant winter.
Really? LOL!!! How can you really say this? Have ya ever been to Charlotte & Forest City(88* July and Aug) or Wilmington(89*) in the summer. No comparison to WNC even below 3500', Asheville (84.5*), Hendersonville(83.5*) both at about 2,000FT. Not to mention it's humid as heck in Charlotte and Wilmington with little breeze. So no not all of NC is hot in the summer. You really have to get out more instead of reading on the computer.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear Hunter View Post
Really? LOL!!! How can you really say this? Have ya ever been to Charlotte & Forest City(88* July and Aug) or Wilmington(89*) in the summer. No comparison to WNC even below 3500', Asheville (84.5*), Hendersonville(83.5*) both at about 2,000FT. Not to mention it's humid as heck in Charlotte and Wilmington with little breeze. So no not all of NC is hot in the summer. You really have to get out more instead of reading on the computer.
Haha, yeah I've been to Asheville and throughout western NC in the summer...it may not be as bad as Wilmington, but its still hot and muggy. Dew points can be quite high even at 2,000 feet. Asheville sees dew points in the low to mid 70's quite often in the summer.

Last edited by BC1960; 02-13-2018 at 03:59 PM..

Old 02-13-2018, 03:24 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Quote:
+1, in our experience...

Whatever the 'cause' or reason(s), the summers have gotten milder to hot over the past 17+ yrs that we have been here, and winters more mild, esp post 2009, 2010.

We live at ~4800 ft +, and while that is not most peoples' preference, I prefer it over constant A/C.

The OP will find milder winters than he has in MD, but summers in the locations of their interest can be warm to hot, to WTF?!

But, I realize everyone has their own needs and comfort zones.
GL, mD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina