Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 08:54 PM

11 posts, read 7,567 times

Advertisements

Me and my sons would like to move to the NW mountains of NC near Asheville, but not in the city proper. I have 11 and 14 year old sons. Need decent public schools. I have a Masters Decree, so I may consider homeschooling. I do not need a job. We are Christians and very active in our church. We are also active in sports, outdoor activities like horseback riding, fishing, and hunting. We don't want to be to far from medical facilities, and some shopping/entertainment. Have researched Hendersonville, Fletcher, and Black Mountain on the internet, but are still in need of information. Any input you that you able to provide is greatly appreciated..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 07:04 AM

788 posts, read 777,473 times
Check a PM !

Old 03-29-2018, 07:08 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,335,361 times
School information can be found here:

https://ncreportcards.ondemand.sas.com/src

Old 03-29-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
Check a PM !
Hello, I am new at responding to posts so here goes. With heart felt appreciation, I am grateful for the detail responses that I received via email and the information on this forum. The information is very helpful. I won't have any issues with traffic because I am retired. I don't believe my sons will have any difficulty in school. They have been enrolled in public and our Baptist Church school and they were the only Black children in their classes.

We plan to include Yancy County - Burnsville area in our search. What are your thoughts about Hendersonville?

We too are looking for a slower paced quality life, where we can live and let live. No trouble given to anyone or taken.

What about churches in Yancy County? We are currently active in the Baptist church that we attend.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:05 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,458,119 times
Check Arden, fletcher, or mills river.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:41 PM

Thank you. Will do.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:22 AM

395 posts, read 460,892 times
I think Hendersonville could be a nice fit for you. The schools are decent as far as the whole system in this country goes, and the color of someone's skin seems really not to matter, which is one of the things I very much appreciate about the town. Since one of your sons is high school age and the other one not far from it, I would seek out areas that would serve either West Hendersonville HS or Hendersonville High School on Bearcat Blvd. As far as Hendersonville in general, it is pretty busy around the downtown area and while it has a nicely done S. Main St, the rest around downtown has a lot of commercial blight going on. The town, in general, may be busier than what you are looking for.
By the way, you certainly don't need a Masters Degree to homeschool. Thousands and thousands of people homeschool their children and have no masters degree. Yet by the time the children are 18, the vast majority are much stronger and far advanced academically than their public schooled peers. It doesn't take much at all to stay on par with the level that is being taught in the schools which is all any state requires, and it takes not much more at all to exceed it.
All best in your search and may you and your family find the place where you are all supposed to land at this time in your lives!

Old 03-30-2018, 07:35 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,477,898 times
^^^ Have to disagree about Hendersonville's 'commercial blight'.
Anyone who has lived here for more then 'awhile' knows the *7th Av. and 4th Av. areas are predominantly public housing and *commercial areas. No one I know has ever had an issue driving through there, shopping on 7th Av., or frequenting the new restaurants, the resale shops, a very good Amish produce market, one of the best bakeries and meat markets in town -- some excellent stores on 7th.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:56 AM

395 posts, read 460,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
^^^ Have to disagree about Hendersonville's 'commercial blight'.
Anyone who has lived here for more then 'awhile' knows the *7th Av. and 4th Av. areas are predominantly public housing and *commercial areas. No one I know has ever had an issue driving through there, shopping on 7th Av., or frequenting the new restaurants, the resale shops, a very good Amish produce market, one of the best bakeries and meat markets in town -- some excellent stores on 7th.
Right you are about the areas right around S. Main St. When talking about commercial blight, I meant Spartanburg Hwy. and Four Seasons Blvd. And when talking about commercial blight, the "issue" I have is the horrible way it looks and feels. (I never said anything about having any "issues", actually. ) And the traffic on 4 Seasons has me avoiding the area anytime from 8:30AM - 8PM whenever possible, six days/week.
I guess you haven't been in the 7th Ave. area for a while, BTW, because the Amish produce store has been out of business for a few months already and the space is being taken over by the meat store a couple of doors down.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:31 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,477,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasage View Post
Right you are about the areas right around S. Main St. When talking about commercial blight, I meant Spartanburg Hwy. and Four Seasons Blvd. And when talking about commercial blight, the "issue" I have is the horrible way it looks and feels. (I never said anything about having any "issues", actually. ) And the traffic on 4 Seasons has me avoiding the area anytime from 8:30AM - 8PM whenever possible, six days/week.
I guess you haven't been in the 7th Ave. area for a while, BTW, because the Amish produce store has been out of business for a few months already and the space is being taken over by the meat store a couple of doors down.

I don't think Spartanburg Hwy. could be described as commercial blight though. There have been several seriously nice stores rebuilt or new, and the Harris Teeter 'section' is off 176, not totally on it. The new Ingles market (to me, is an eyesore -- did they really need another one a couple of miles from Highland Lake Rd. ? Well, that's what happens when a city as popular as Hendersonville gets 'bought out' by folks relocating from everywhere. They want everything they had back home, and then complain when it gets too crowded and the roads are dug up every year. Do we really NEED a Publix? I think not, and I've already started to avoid that 225/176 area.

I agree with Four Seasons Blvd. being a PITA no matter what time of day it is. What were the city fathers thinking when they put 'it all' in one area ! ! -- that combined with the traffic dumping off I-26 at all hours of the day makes it just awful. If you are heading East on 64, forget about 'dropping in' to Arby's for 'the meats' -- you simply cannot get over there from the 64E lane.

Didn't know about the Amish market closing; I was under the impression that they close for a good part of the winter. Are they moving somewhere else in town?

Prediction: fairly soon, within another year or so, we could see the Duncan Hill Road and Signal Hill Road areas undergo somewhat of a building boom depending on zoning. Hah ... they may even change the zoning to accommodate their (powers that be) wishes. There's already a lot of 'new' traffic coming off Rt 25 thru Clear Creek and Old Clear Creek Rds. which currently are 'cut throughs' with accidents just waiting to happen. OK, I'm off my venting soapbox ...

Have a great day and a blessed Easter to all of any denomination, or color. Hendersonville is a very welcoming area. I wish the OP and family the absolute best in relocating, hopefully to Hendersonville despite our sometimes haphazard 'growth', but because of our great schools, weather, proximity to outdoor activities, and generally a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina