Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 05:20 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandgold978 View Post
2. Ummmm......you did use that word.......re-read your previous posts......."diversity"......yep, you sure did........
Nope, wrong again. The word diversity does not appear in any of my posts on this thread. Facts, huh? Just sayin'...

Quote:
3. Superior? Never said that I was......I merely said that liberals are outnumbered here in the Yancey/Mitchell area....... which you are.
One throws insults around as a way of making themselves feel superior. You clearly have a problem in that area. Or maybe you just have very small hands, lol.

And again, stop attempting to label me as a "liberal". I'm not, and even if I was, its not an insult like you seem to think it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 05:39 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoleselinger View Post
...am interested to explore the neighboring states to see if there are any

small-medium towns which are liberal-friendly and affordable?
What you're looking for are towns with a college of some sort (independent or state)
or cities with niche neighborhoods near a college of some sort.

Liberal friendly isn't a problem but the problem you'll find is that wherever these occur
will tend to have the highest COL zipcodes in their region or part of town.
said another way... you can't have it both ways.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:05 AM

5 posts, read 3,552 times
Being a Liberal that's moved to Burnsville--we are gaining in numbers...But don't be scared.

Seriously, the terms liberal, conservative, redneck, hippie, Yankee, snowflake are so ridiculously ignorant (and limiting beyond belief) that it brings us all down in the pit of stupidity that's running this country into the ground. I don't care if my neighbor is a Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, Baptist, Catholic, Muslim or Buddhist. What kind of person is he or she? That's all that matters.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:14 AM

643 posts, read 669,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canesrun View Post
Being a Liberal that's moved to Burnsville--we are gaining in numbers...But don't be scared.

Seriously, the terms liberal, conservative, redneck, hippie, Yankee, snowflake are so ridiculously ignorant (and limiting beyond belief) that it brings us all down in the pit of stupidity that's running this country into the ground. I don't care if my neighbor is a Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, Baptist, Catholic, Muslim or Buddhist. What kind of person is he or she? That's all that matters.
Wow - an intelligent response and perspective. How refreshing. Won't you be MY neighbor?

Old 06-06-2018, 07:20 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,958,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoleselinger View Post
Hello,

I just relocated from the west coast to Tennessee and am interested to explore the neighboring states to see if there are any small-medium towns (less than 100,000 ideally, or a rural area outside of a slightly larger town) which are affordable and liberal-friendly? I love having access to hiking trails and rivers, and also love having access to a natural food store of some sort and some similar-minded folk. Doesn't need to be a hippy mecca like Asheville, but I have had trouble finding community in rural Tennessee, as beautiful and affordable as it is, and am wondering if there are little pockets in other states near by.

Thank you!

Liberal is a relative term.... you're in the bible belt...even in the larger cities like Charlotte you will find it's not as liberal as one who is would like it to be. For more liberal minded I'd head to Cali or New England. The best liberal type minded people you'll find will be around colleges here.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:14 AM

902 posts, read 807,172 times
To the OP ...

Be prepared to be asked "What church do you belong to?" within the first five minutes of a conversation here. We're in Weaverville and it's a common occurrence, and when you deflect the question be prepared to have the person become standoffish with you. Gave our number to our neighbors when we landed here and within a week had five voice messages from different people trying to recruit us to their church.

Last week I was getting an oil change and struck up a conversation with the guy sitting next to me. Within two minutes the church question came up, then he asked "How do you feel about all of the gays and queers that are moving into the area? If my child were one I'd throw them to the curb and never look at them again." I looked at him like the idiot he was and reminded him that family will always be family no matter what and that throwing around such strong opinions like that, especially publicly to strangers wasn't such a great idea. Wasn't the first time either that it's happened ...

Also amazed me that a few months back a North Buncombe High School student (who was friends with our son) came out to his parents about being gay, parents who then proceeded to disown him. He went on to commit suicide because of his family's hatred but did the media even cover the story? Not a chance, and it was hardly even mentioned anywhere here. Wouldn't want that kind of information getting out and hurt Asheville's chances of hitting anymore top ten lists.

Point being is if you enjoy the outdoors then the area can't be beat, but visiting here and living here (or anywhere in the area) are two completely different experiences. We love it here but there are a lot of distractions from the areas natural beauty here too. Just keep that in mind and good luck in your decision making!

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 06-06-2018 at 08:43 AM..

Old 06-06-2018, 04:33 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,518,860 times
Like minded liberal friendly folks, close to natural food store; stick to the hub of a metro area, that can support
those needs.
Speaking for myself, living in Marshall,
my religious / political interests have never been
asked / discussed with neighbors or day to day contacts.
Maybe it would be different if I was in a neighborhood;
My closest neighbor is over 1/2 mile away.

Last edited by bgrasser; 06-06-2018 at 04:51 PM..

Old 06-06-2018, 05:07 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
I've rarely, if ever, been asked about religious or political affiliations by neighbors or casual acquaintances... even in Greenville, SC. Not having school-age children may make a difference. I've lived in NC virtually all my life (with a brief detour to SC).

Old 06-06-2018, 05:25 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,814,454 times
We've lived in Haywood County for over 2 years now. It's conservative and I am a liberal, however, I have not had anyone other than my next door neighbor, who is from NJ, try to talk politics with me (or my husband). He only tried it once with me and I told him I had no desire to discuss anything along those lines with him. I did get the church question one time, from another neighbor who only comes up on the occasional weekend during the summer months and lives in FL. I have pretty much never had anyone mention homosexuals or anything along those lines, I am a friendly, but no small talk sort of person. My hairdresser is from Asia and her assistant is a gay male. They are both wonderful people who have no problems with getting plenty of business in our area. Honestly, the people who I have come across who try to discuss politics or religion are not from here. Most of the natives are just nice people in general and were raised not to talk about certain things in the company of people they don't know well. Could some or many be racist or homophobic? Absolutely. But I don't hear it spoken aloud around me.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:26 PM

5,948 posts, read 2,870,440 times
Quote:
1. I know that because I know myself and know the folks in my small town........ (News Flash: We Conservatives vastly outnumber liberals here in Yancey/Mitchell county. Take a look at the recent election stats. Talk in local restaurants and bars.)

2. Diverse, sure. But liberals love to use "diversity" and "racism" as words to get what they want. In all things and all issues. Especially when they feel excluded for any reason. So excuse me for being wary.......

3. Offended? Yes, liberals sure get easily offended. The phrase "safe space" was invented by liberals. "Political correctness" was invented by liberal reaction to anything they disagreed with......... hence, people like you are called "snowflakes".......meaning you melt easily when confronted with "adversity".

Things a bit more clear for you? I do hope so.......
Do you also see where Liberals want all inclusiveness, for everyone except Libs only choose to live with other Libs., when finding a place to live .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina