Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 01:23 PM

3 posts, read 14,183 times

Advertisements

I will be driving a 15 ft Uhaul truck with a tow dolly/car attached on 6/3/18 How difficult is it to maneuver the roads through the mountains ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 03:22 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
I don't drive that segment weekly, but when I do drive/ride through from NC to TN and back, (joy rides), I often see a U Haul truck pulling a tow dolly car...and, often see big RVs with tow cars.

It is a decent shot from Knox until you start climbing, and there is a considerable section of 'heavy trucks right lane only' through 'The Gap' and along the Pigeon River, and then again east on I-40 as one gets near Buncombe County which is Asheville's 'county'.

I am not sure that your smallish 15' U Haul truck w/tow car dolly is considered 'heavy trucks', but you might call TN/NC DOT and ask them.

Regardless, the stretch through The Gap and much of the run from far east TN into NC is curvy, up and down elevation but nothing Rocky Mtn like. If you are forced to go that right lane only with the big trucks for that long section, it may be slower going as the slowest truck at the head of each 'line' doing grade climbing forces the entire right lane to their 'speed'.

Common sense prevails and you are towing vs my fun runs in the Vette Vert or on my m'cycles.

Hope you have good weather, eg no rainy ugly day, and check with TN & NC DOT to see if you are req'd to be in the Truck right lane, but your passing ability will be limited regardless, imo.

And, make it a daytime run vs middle of the night...
GL, mD

Old 05-22-2018, 07:37 PM

395 posts, read 462,474 times
It's no problem at all. We went through the mountains with a stuffed 22' UHaul, towing a dolly with a van that had another about 500 pounds inside. Just remember to put on your hazards when traveling below 45 mph on the highway. And believe me, you will be driving below 45 mph when going uphill in that UHaul. I had the gas pedal floored when on the inclines; the best that poor truck could muster was 30 mph when going uphill. Also, when getting gas or stopping anywhere, try to always be in a position so you don't have to back up. Backing up with a dolly was a whole new learning curve as far as trying to have it turn how I needed it to navigate to get out of a position. Besides which, you don't have a rear view mirror in the truck, only the sides. No, no, much easier to just park in a way that won't require backing up to get back on the road. I ended up going where the semis go to get gas, etc. Go forward going in, go forward going out. No stress.
Have a safe trip and give yourself plenty of time, of course.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:29 AM

788 posts, read 783,508 times
A friend I helped move rented a 22' u haul for a move to WNC . Nice looking truck but no balls even on level roads it was limited . I road along to help and it was a long day . Saluda grade had use crawling over the top at 28 or 30 mph hoping we would make it . When we moved I rented a 22' Penske truck for a one way run and towing a maxed out 12'cargo trailer too and topped the same road in a at 45 mph but that truck could run 75mph easy on some what level roads . I-40 is a nice road in to Tn but there are elevation changes to deal with !! Loaded trucks do tend to slow down on up hill sections so as noted run your hazard lights as needed . You may find if comfortable you can gain some speed for the up hill sections to help maintain MPH some what .

If not to late rent a PENSKE

Old 05-23-2018, 06:52 AM

251 posts, read 244,464 times
When we moved here last year from Texas we were pulling a Uhaul and I was very worried about that stretch—having lived in FL and TX I was uncomfortable with the mountains and curves especially while pulling a Uhaul (which we had never done before). It was fine. Not something I’d want to do everyday but not nearly as scary as my imagination made it out to be.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:00 AM

3 posts, read 14,183 times
Default I40 Knoxville to Asheville

Thanks to all of you for your responses to my concerns They were all very helpful

Old 05-23-2018, 01:26 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,079,965 times
Back in October, we did it with a 20ft Uhaul, towing a trailer with my car on it. We took the same route through the mountains that you're talking about, but I was moving from Lawrenceburg (south of Nashville, TN) to Greensboro, NC. Not too bad at all, but I enjoy driving through the mountains anyways. Take your time, be respectful of the passing lane, and give yourself more than the stopping space you think you'll need considering all the extra weight. I-40 through the mountains is much easier than some of the two lane roads in the same area (such as the US-441 route or US-25/70 route).

Old 05-23-2018, 04:04 PM

27 posts, read 54,586 times
Last October I drove from Asheville to Chicago in two days, spending the night in Hebron Kentucky at the Cincinnati Airport Doubletree. I had two cats in the backseat that cried the entire way. I said never again, and meant it. The drive through those mountains were white knuckle driving for me. Just passing the semi trucks with all the curves was stressful.
I am moving back to Asheville in July and will be driving the 10 1/2 hour trip in three days this time around. The last day through those mountains I will be driving for 3 1/2 hours versus 5 1/2.
My advice is, don’t do the drive when you are tired or the weather is bad. I would not do it in fog or rain, and definitely not at night.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:30 PM

902 posts, read 807,172 times
I'd take 40 from Knoxville down to the Newport, TN area and get off before it gets curvey. You can then take 25 through the backroads over to Hot Springs and hit 26 into AVL once you get into Weaverville.

We do it all the time when heading to and from Gatlinburg, TN. Took 40 through the mountains once (with good weather) all the way back to AVL / WV and will never do that again. Good luck!

Old 05-24-2018, 05:00 AM

27 posts, read 54,586 times
Vince,
That sounds like a route I would like to take. Can you give me more detailed directions? What exit would I get off in Newport? It looks like you have to take 411 to get to 25, is that correct?
I would do anything to avoid those mountains. I am driving with two cats in the car, which makes it much more stressful.
Donna
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina