U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 05:44 PM

1,677 posts, read 611,516 times

Advertisements

We wandered around quite a bit during our visit to WNC. My favorite area was Brevard. I liked the vibe and there seemed to be a nice mix of age groups out and about. There were some homes actually in the Pisgah Forest and I probably should have asked a realtor about that. Is it that part of Brevard is just on the forest? I presume (and real estate magazines seem to confirm) that houses are very pricey there. An agent told me that even finding something at our max budget of $275k would be iffy, because, as I suspected, anything in that price range or below is going to move super fast. We need to visit again and this time in the specific area we’ve identified. We both also liked Bryson City and Sylva (Bryson was my #2 while hubby’s was Sylva.) I’m worried finding something in our price range is going to be a real challenge (we’d like a couple of acres and a small house - 2 bedroom - 2 bath - and could go out 15 miles or so.
Anyone who lives in the area have any thoughts? This was our exploratory mission - to ID an area we both liked, which I think we did. We’ll definitely have to come back.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 06:18 PM

3,318 posts, read 1,470,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamjedlicka View Post
We wandered around quite a bit during our visit to WNC. My favorite area was Brevard. I liked the vibe and there seemed to be a nice mix of age groups out and about. There were some homes actually in the Pisgah Forest and I probably should have asked a realtor about that. Is it that part of Brevard is just on the forest? I presume (and real estate magazines seem to confirm) that houses are very pricey there. An agent told me that even finding something at our max budget of $275k would be iffy, because, as I suspected, anything in that price range or below is going to move super fast. We need to visit again and this time in the specific area we’ve identified. We both also liked Bryson City and Sylva (Bryson was my #2 while hubby’s was Sylva.) I’m worried finding something in our price range is going to be a real challenge (we’d like a couple of acres and a small house - 2 bedroom - 2 bath - and could go out 15 miles or so.
Anyone who lives in the area have any thoughts? This was our exploratory mission - to ID an area we both liked, which I think we did. We’ll definitely have to come back.
Love Bryson City..

Old 07-01-2018, 09:24 AM

2,666 posts, read 1,596,158 times
Try Rosman, which is right outside of Brevard. We've stayed in the area before and it was quite convenient to Brevard and the amenities of the town. You can also try Etowah, which is the other direction.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:31 AM

12,213 posts, read 28,267,545 times
I was going to mention Etowah or even Rosman if you can't get into Brevard. The reason Etowah is nice is because you are halfway in between Brevard and Hendersonville. The area is very pretty as well. When I was helping my friends look for a place, we visited Pisgah Forest. I remember it being off a highway, in the middle of nowhere, with many trailers. There may be nice areas but I am not sure. They wanted to live in Brevard but couldn't find anything at the time and almost went up on the mountain to Balsam Grove but landed in Franklin.

Old 07-01-2018, 01:21 PM

11,116 posts, read 16,487,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I was going to mention Etowah or even Rosman if you can't get into Brevard. The reason Etowah is nice is because you are halfway in between Brevard and Hendersonville. The area is very pretty as well. When I was helping my friends look for a place, we visited Pisgah Forest. I remember it being off a highway, in the middle of nowhere, with many trailers. There may be nice areas but I am not sure. They wanted to live in Brevard but couldn't find anything at the time and almost went up on the mountain to Balsam Grove but landed in Franklin.
You must have been heading up the mountains, the road ahead, off Rt. 280 takes you into Pisgah National Forest and to the Blue Ridge Parkway. That is not a residential area. At the beginning of the road it is fairly commercial because it is not part of the national forest …., ice cream place, outrigger business, the Davidson River etc. The trailers / RV's are at the campgrounds heading into the forest. Sliding Rock is on that road, great fun for the kids in the summer; except parking is an issue.

Old 07-01-2018, 02:07 PM

6,000 posts, read 9,496,609 times
I found Rosman to be a bit depressing and isolated. But I've only just driven through.

Old 07-01-2018, 02:16 PM

12,213 posts, read 28,267,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
You must have been heading up the mountains, the road ahead, off Rt. 280 takes you into Pisgah National Forest and to the Blue Ridge Parkway. That is not a residential area. At the beginning of the road it is fairly commercial because it is not part of the national forest …., ice cream place, outrigger business, the Davidson River etc. The trailers / RV's are at the campgrounds heading into the forest. Sliding Rock is on that road, great fun for the kids in the summer; except parking is an issue.
Yep, you are correct.

Old 07-02-2018, 04:35 AM

87 posts, read 229,496 times
Pisgah Forest is an unincorporated area just outside Brevard with a zipcode all it's own--28768 if you want to check it out on any real estate site. Very convenient to Brevard with some great areas and homes.

Last edited by artstarvedinar; 07-02-2018 at 04:36 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 07-02-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Yep, that was it. The Hub was right at the end of that road. Bike shop with a bar in it!!! and a food and coffee truck. Fantastic tacos. Someone else here in commenting that there is an unincorporated area called Pisgah Forest, I'm going to clarify some details, because there were houses in the forest. Perhaps that is just because the town extends in to the forest before you get to the boundary line of the actual national forest. Beautiful area.

Old 07-02-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artstarvedinar View Post
Pisgah Forest is an unincorporated area just outside Brevard with a zipcode all it's own--28768 if you want to check it out on any real estate site. Very convenient to Brevard with some great areas and homes.
Thank you. Yes, those were my thoughts exactly, but we'll see if we can find anything in our price range. We'll keep at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or