Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2008, 04:12 PM

202 posts, read 715,043 times

Advertisements

I Would like to get some info. on these two towns - Mill Spring and Leicester. Healthcare, good shopping, low crime? Does anyone have any comments - good/bad. Will be looking at some property this summer and would like to get as much info. as possible to help in the search.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 07:35 AM

648 posts, read 2,979,664 times
Both are sparsely populated low crime areas with small, rural settings and schools. Leicester is about double the elevation, making it cooler in all seasons with a bit more snow in winter. Mill Spring is a long way from both shopping and health care. Leicester kinda is, too, being ten miles from anything in Asheville, and a good 25-35 minute drive to the hospital area in Asheville. Folks who live in Leicester generally work and shop in Asheville, using busy Patton Avenue as the main way to get into town. To me Leicester has been left behind in the development of Buncombe county. So the good and bad of "progress" haven't really been seen there, yet.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:16 AM

23 posts, read 78,308 times
...cooper hit the nail on the head with Leicester. My in-laws live there. Nice little area...but rural. Gotta drive to get to stuff. The do have an Ingles (grocery store), and think I heard a super Wal-Mart is going up somewhere in the area??? But yeah, A-town is a 30-40min drive. The house right next to my in-laws sold last year for around 170K. 1500/2000 sq/ft on maybe a 1/4 acre.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumbeeNDN View Post
...cooper hit the nail on the head with Leicester. My in-laws live there. Nice little area...but rural. Gotta drive to get to stuff. The do have an Ingles (grocery store), and think I heard a super Wal-Mart is going up somewhere in the area??? But yeah, A-town is a 30-40min drive. The house right next to my in-laws sold last year for around 170K. 1500/2000 sq/ft on maybe a 1/4 acre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperwx View Post
Both are sparsely populated low crime areas with small, rural settings and schools. Leicester is about double the elevation, making it cooler in all seasons with a bit more snow in winter. Mill Spring is a long way from both shopping and health care. Leicester kinda is, too, being ten miles from anything in Asheville, and a good 25-35 minute drive to the hospital area in Asheville. Folks who live in Leicester generally work and shop in Asheville, using busy Patton Avenue as the main way to get into town. To me Leicester has been left behind in the development of Buncombe county. So the good and bad of "progress" haven't really been seen there, yet.
Thanks cooperwx and LumbeeNDN for the helpful info. We're planning on buying some property soon, then waiting about 10+ yrs. to build on it for retirement - I wonder what these areas will be like at that time?

Old 04-02-2008, 02:09 PM

653 posts, read 2,704,272 times
Mill Spring is nothing but a crossroads with a couple of gas stations and post office. The closest hospital is about five miles away in Columbus and a large hospital with better facilities would be 30-50 minutes away.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_wilhelm View Post
Mill Spring is nothing but a crossroads with a couple of gas stations and post office. The closest hospital is about five miles away in Columbus and a large hospital with better facilities would be 30-50 minutes away.

Thanks cowboy_wilelm. Where is the hospital with better facilities located? Is it North of Mill Spring/closer to the Lake Lure area or towards Rutherfordton?

Old 04-03-2008, 07:00 AM

648 posts, read 2,979,664 times
I think the better facilities he alludes to are in Hendersonville (Park Ridge) or Asheville (Mission Hospitals)

Old 04-03-2008, 10:37 AM

Rutherford Hospital, Pardee in Hendersonville, Spartanburg (South Carolina) Regional, Mary Black (also in Spartanburg, S.C.), Park Ridge in Fletcher, Memorial Mission in Asheville.

Spartanburg is closer than Asheville. In the case of a serious event (such as being air-lifted by helicopter), many patients are sent to Spartanburg Regional.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:06 AM

Hospitals near Polk County - Google Maps

Old 04-28-2008, 05:28 PM

6 posts, read 35,385 times
Wink Leicester Area

Leicester is only about 7-10 miles from patton and believe it or not we have an ingles right on leicester hwy. and movies, banks, and more.
Our own schools and more.
Moderator cut: removed Now leicester is rural with lost of mountains and farmland. We do not have a center of town and do have apost office. .Moderator cut: removed

Last edited by autumngal; 04-28-2008 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: to comply with the TOS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina