Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 04:14 PM

5,455 posts, read 6,047,094 times

Advertisements

When we built our present home back in 1992, my neighbor approached me and asked if I wanted the power line between our houses buried rather than run from pole to pole. He offered to call the power company if I would share the cost with him. We both told the power company we would pay all costs associated with placing the line underground. They refused to even consider it. Mind you, we already had underground power from the poles to our houses, so it wasn't a big stretch to bury another 400 feet between our properties. NO DICE! No reason, but they refused to even talk about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 04:20 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Also, from what I saw at the grocery store after work today,along with a lot of bottled water, make sure to stock up on plenty of beer, chips, and other assorted junk foods. Don't want to be stranded too long without those "necessities" on hand.

I was behind a college student in line yesterday...that's what he bought,
a case of beer, chips, water...

Old 09-12-2018, 04:26 PM

204 posts, read 202,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
When we built our present home back in 1992, my neighbor approached me and asked if I wanted the power line between our houses buried rather than run from pole to pole. He offered to call the power company if I would share the cost with him. We both told the power company we would pay all costs associated with placing the line underground. They refused to even consider it. Mind you, we already had underground power from the poles to our houses, so it wasn't a big stretch to bury another 400 feet between our properties. NO DICE! No reason, but they refused to even talk about it.
I was told once that it might have something to do with running into too much bedrock etc. but if they are capable of putting fiber optic underground then why not power lines? Plus other countries have managed to do so,so why not here?

Old 09-12-2018, 04:52 PM

8,043 posts, read 10,634,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I was behind a college student in line yesterday...that's what he bought,
a case of beer, chips, water...
Well, he's all set then! Bring it on!

Old 09-12-2018, 07:42 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
I am on city water, so if I lose power, will my toilets flush?
Toilets don't require power to flush. If, however, there is a broken water supply line somewhere, you can still utilize your toilet by filling up the tank if you have enough water. That's why some people will put a shower curtain on the bottom of their bathtub and fill it up with water -- so they have enough water for things like flushing the toilet.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:45 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelmom View Post
I just don’t get why all the overhead power lines can’t eventually get replaced with underground ones
Living in the mountains, underground lines would entail digging through pure rock. Although this is possible, it is expensive.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:31 AM

4,790 posts, read 10,610,355 times
Our little mtn road of 4 houses has underground utilities, though no cable 'up here'...
And, a few other house sections have UGU on our mtn.

But, running down the mtn for much of the 4 mile road distance to the main roads, the utilities are above ground; thus, we are at the whim of nature for those lines below us.

Therefore, most of us have whole/almost whole house gens, up here.

This rain situ could be The Straw, in terms of current ground moisture/soaked conditions we have locally, and I can hardly wait for the monster wind speeds and wind driven rain, at our altitude and situ here on the mtn ridge.

Like Petty sang, "Waiting is the hardest part"...
GL, mD

Old 09-13-2018, 06:27 AM

789 posts, read 784,819 times
WE grew up in SW Florida for our first 42 years most in more rural areas and have been thru a number of close calls with hurricanes including Andrew . We wanted a change of life style and moved to Yancey County 20 years ago . We have never had issues with underground power for many homes we have built over the years ether including my own but nothing says I won't loose power down line some where ! But beyond that I'm not very concerned about the remains of this hurricane by the time it reaches us .

We live in a valley with large hills on 270* around us all with in a few hundred yards that tend to reduce any wind in the valley and beyond them the mountains around us tends to reduce the amount of wind we and rain in general too compared to most of the mountain areas . Flooding is not a concern for use even if the creeks come over there banks as our basement is I'm around 20 feet about the creeks . I have a generator wired in to the house and its hooked to a full under ground full propane tank that can be used as needed for water pump , cooking , hot water or heat as needed . So what to do for us is more about waiting for it to blow it self out so things can get back to normal .

Old 09-13-2018, 06:55 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
I guess this thread is more for those of us who don't have generators, underground power lines etc.

WE still have concerns over the storm...
heavy rain, flooding in some areas and possible power outages.

Last edited by greatblueheron; 09-13-2018 at 07:23 AM..

Old 09-13-2018, 07:51 AM

5,455 posts, read 6,047,094 times
Flooding is not an immediate issue at our elevation. Wind can be an issue, and power is occasionally an issue, but not as much as you might think. Over the past several years it's only been off a few times, and never more than 24 hours. (Hard to type with one hand while knocking on wood with the other! LOL)

The power lines coming up the mountain are all above ground, the fiber optic coming up the mountain is all below ground. Rock must not be a big issue as fast as they got that fiber into the neighborhoods up here.

Be safe, stay dry, to all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina