Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 01:42 PM

102 posts, read 120,881 times

Advertisements

So I am looking at buying a vacation/2nd home in the mountains. I am looking in Jackson County but mountain houses are so expensive in the area. I wanted in or around Jackson County due to me wanting to be near Western Carolina for football games as I graduated from WCU so I am an Alumni. Since it will be a second home it does not have to be very big. 2 beds 2 bath at the smallest but I could do 3 beds for the right price. The most I want to spend is 250K. I wanted something somewhat in good shape as I live in Winston Salem and still work so I can not be around to do work on the house in a major way. It will be a weekend house. I want a house, not in a community. I wanted a house kinda away and just near the woods so I can sit out on the deck and relax and just look into the woods. Anyone have any tips or ideas where i might want to look in or around Jackson County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 02:07 PM

4,782 posts, read 10,568,993 times
Not in the RE biz...was just bored, so I plugged in some parameters on Realtor.com, Jackson County, SFH, $250 Max:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-200000-250000

Maybe start perusing. The Net is your friend, to at least get the initial sort going.
GL, mD

The Mod is probably going to edit or toss this...eg 'real estate' postings.
OP should just hit real estate site(s), Jackson County, plug in SFH and price max and have at it!

Old 09-18-2018, 07:59 PM

26,158 posts, read 48,867,893 times
We allow realtor.com and zillow.com and 'generic' MLS sites that are not specific to one firm or one realtor, i.e., if there were a realtor site for the NC realtor association that serves a region or entire state that's fine. In COLO we have a statewide site called recolorado.com that we allow since it is not specific to a single firm. When in doubt just ask a mod or post a question in About The Forum.

If anyone can help the OP with suggestions please do so. Send any recommendations for a specific realtor to the OP via the DM method.

Carry on.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:34 AM

I guess part of my question is also why is Jackson County so expensive for real estate? There is nothing in the area at all to draw people like you see in Asheville or even boone

Old 09-24-2018, 05:03 PM

788 posts, read 776,689 times
So mountain houses are so expensive! Hum . I plugged a 150,000 to 250,000 price into Zillow for homes only and found a good number of homes for sale well below your price point . Now it they don't fit your needs that's life

Old 10-01-2018, 05:50 PM

430 posts, read 280,841 times
I am checking them out also. I like Zillow because you can look at a map and draw a circle around whatever area you want to see houses.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:40 AM

I consider a mountain house a house where you are looking into the woods, not in a subdivision in the mountains. Also like i said before I still work so some of the houses below 200k look like they need alot of work to them, ex: wood rotted on the outside of the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
So mountain houses are so expensive! Hum . I plugged a 150,000 to 250,000 price into Zillow for homes only and found a good number of homes for sale well below your price point . Now it they don't fit your needs that's life

Old 10-02-2018, 02:58 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,472,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catamountalum2004 View Post
So I am looking at buying a vacation/2nd home in the mountains. I am looking in Jackson County but mountain houses are so expensive in the area. I wanted in or around Jackson County due to me wanting to be near Western Carolina for football games as I graduated from WCU so I am an Alumni. Since it will be a second home it does not have to be very big. 2 beds 2 bath at the smallest but I could do 3 beds for the right price. The most I want to spend is 250K. I wanted something somewhat in good shape as I live in Winston Salem and still work so I can not be around to do work on the house in a major way. It will be a weekend house. I want a house, not in a community. I wanted a house kinda away and just near the woods so I can sit out on the deck and relax and just look into the woods. Anyone have any tips or ideas where i might want to look in or around Jackson County?
Recommend that you set up an account on www.Realtor.com and you will get plenty of hits in various parts of WNC that may suit you. (Realtors will not bother you, the site is for the general public.)

Old 10-03-2018, 06:16 AM

788 posts, read 776,689 times
Wood rot !! Funny as there are some very nice homes up here that could fill your needs . Maybe with some local help from a old retired builder could offer some help you finding a nice ROT FREE home in your budget if the area fills your needs . PM sent

Old 10-05-2018, 11:09 AM

9 posts, read 24,435 times
Sent you a direct message with a link that may work for you. Best of luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina