Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 08:08 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,040,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
It's all relative. Compared to south Louisiana, it's not that humid.
At least our sweat evaporates here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 08:14 AM

12,798 posts, read 16,246,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
That's why I hate the heat so much. It's so energy sapping. Maybe that's not true for everyone, but it truly is for me. And I consider myself a fairly high energy person.
Yeah, we're all different in that regard. I find cold to be truly energy-sapping. I can barely move in the winter. I joke that I must be a lizard person or solar-powered because I have so much more energy in the summer. I dread winter. Cold weather comes and I'm like a reptile looking for warmth to get the blood flowing again or going into hibernation. While I love fall in the mountains it's always tinged with a little dread of winter coming, too. I'm a spring and summer person.

That said, RomanticAsheville had some great comparisons of past years at Mt Mitchell and Rough Ridge and this year on their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/romanticasheville. They say we're running about a week behind.

If it's a choice between 75º and 95º I'm going to be like most people and pick 75º, but if it's between 65º and 85º, it's 85º every time for me.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:21 AM

8,077 posts, read 10,013,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
How long have you lived in the area? This summer has had pretty normal temperatures.

It's not that is has been SO warm, but that it has been warm for SO many months without a break. 85/90 Days. 65/70 nights. No break since May. Wearying, for sure. Is this the new normal?

Old 10-04-2018, 08:22 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,739,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
Consider moving to a higher elevation spot in the mountains. I live at 4400 feet. Nobody up here uses their A/C, it's really not warm enough even on the hottest days down below to need it. This was our third summer up here and we've never turned on the A/C, I pull the blinds on the sunny side of the house in the mornings and use a window fan if it gets really "warm", which so far has only been 81 degrees in the house. When it does get warm like that, sitting on the porch in the shade is cool enough. Instead of the drone of everyone's A/C, you just hear the birds singing.

I'd feel like I was suffocating at 81 F....use my ac every summer here even at 3500 ft. Glad to have it too.
Can't sleep if warmer than 72 F or so...or high humidity.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:00 AM

1,731 posts, read 2,558,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
It's not that is has been SO warm, but that it has been warm for SO many months without a break. 85/90 Days. 65/70 nights. No break since May. Wearying, for sure. Is this the new normal?
You need to come up to Ashe County --- Our motto is: "The Coolest Corner of North Carolina".

Old 10-04-2018, 11:11 AM

3,441 posts, read 2,789,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I'd feel like I was suffocating at 81 F....use my ac every summer here even at 3500 ft. Glad to have it too.
Can't sleep if warmer than 72 F or so...or high humidity.
Oh, we have never been above 63 degrees up here at night. We have the windows open and fans blowing (because we can't sleep without the noise). The 81 degrees was only for a couple of hours and with fans blowing it wasn't uncomfortable at all. HOWEVER, heat doesn't really bother me while cold is miserable to me, so I get that everyone is different in that aspect.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:31 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,945,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You know it! Still in the low to mid 90s here in the first week of October with 80% humidity and 75 degree dew points. Misery since late March...
Yes and up here it cools off in the evening and the morning. You know that answer in FL Even in the day, still never gets as humid as FL.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:15 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,570,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Yeah, we're all different in that regard. I find cold to be truly energy-sapping. I can barely move in the winter. I joke that I must be a lizard person or solar-powered because I have so much more energy in the summer. I dread winter. Cold weather comes and I'm like a reptile looking for warmth to get the blood flowing again or going into hibernation. While I love fall in the mountains it's always tinged with a little dread of winter coming, too. I'm a spring and summer person.

That said, RomanticAsheville had some great comparisons of past years at Mt Mitchell and Rough Ridge and this year on their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/romanticasheville. They say we're running about a week behind.

If it's a choice between 75º and 95º I'm going to be like most people and pick 75º, but if it's between 65º and 85º, it's 85º every time for me.
Yep, you're right, we're all different.

I could live in 65 degree weather ALL YEAR long and be happy, and comfortable.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:00 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,448,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Yep, you're right, we're all different.

I could live in 65 degree weather ALL YEAR long and be happy, and comfortable.
That would be sooooo comfy ! This has been the worst year for muggy days and damp nights, and I've been here 14 yrs. I'm looking forward to a snowless winter actually.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:09 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,739,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
Oh, we have never been above 63 degrees up here at night. We have the windows open and fans blowing (because we can't sleep without the noise). The 81 degrees was only for a couple of hours and with fans blowing it wasn't uncomfortable at all. HOWEVER, heat doesn't really bother me while cold is miserable to me, so I get that everyone is different in that aspect.

This time now we are SO above average temps....

nights are usually 49 F by now and last night it was 62 F.....my days right now are 75 F which is way above average. Last I saw it might be 10 days to get to normal average of days in the 60-70 range.

Yes I hate being hot, want more snow this year than we had last year...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina