Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 03:52 PM

758 posts, read 2,286,857 times

Advertisements

our info is dated, but fwiw Bill and I visited Costco in Greenville about a year or so ago. One of the managers there told us there was already a plan in place for a new Costco on Airport Road "in two years."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 08:53 PM

120 posts, read 390,626 times
It would be fabulous if a Costco, a Trader Joes and Super Target entered the Asheville market. And while daydreaming, let's add Publix. There are rumors about Whole Foods coming to town too just like with Costco. Though I am not sure we really need a Whole Foods with EarthFare and Greenlife here plus all the smaller food oriented stores and shops. It's a matter of distribution centers in addition to having the population numbers and the right consumer profile. With the recession and economy of the past and current year it will be interesting to see what retailers come into and/or expand in WNC. But Costco would certainly be an attractive addition to many people! And some of these companies already have stores in other parts of NC.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:57 PM

We just read something in the Asheville Citizen-Times about Whole Foods AND Trader Joe's coming to Asheville in the next two or three years..... I agree with SteelCityGirl that we really don't need a Whole Foods here, but Trader Joe's and Costco are unique and would be super additions! (Bill and I see significant differences in quality and variety between Sam's and Costco.)

Old 03-18-2010, 09:09 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,878,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Parkies View Post
Bill and I see significant differences in quality and variety between Sam's and Costco.)
I've never been to sam's, but that is what everybody else is telling me.
we are costco members for 2 years now and even life got more expensive - we gained so much life quality !!

Last weekend when we went grocery shopping to ALDI in Asheville (love that store for all its german food ), I saw people with trader joe's canvas bags and immediately started my research. but nothing in asheville so far.
and I agree, when I entered earth fare, I felt like entering whole foods.
trader joe's is different though (and belongs to ALDI ), high quality, organic and healt food at reasonable pricing

I just emailed costco and will let you know, whenever I'll get an answer.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:16 PM

765 posts, read 2,567,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Parkies View Post
We just read something in the Asheville Citizen-Times about Whole Foods AND Trader Joe's coming to Asheville in the next two or three years..... I agree with SteelCityGirl that we really don't need a Whole Foods here, but Trader Joe's and Costco are unique and would be super additions! (Bill and I see significant differences in quality and variety between Sam's and Costco.)
If you read it in the Times it's sure to be hype. Right in the story the company spokespersons denied they were considering a store in Asheville. There is too much competition from Greenlife, Fresh Market, and Earthfare and it would cost a fortune to deliver goods to just one store in town. I think that is why the one Harris Teeter store has such high prices.

Now as for Costco I am more inclined to believe that, since there are Costco stores in Greenville and Spartenburg and Charlotte so Asheville could be served by the same distribution center. Target is even more likely since they already have 2 regular stores in town and a Super Target would just be an upgrade. My wife loved the Super Targets in NOVA and did all the grocery shopping there except for hitting the farmers market in season. However, I don't expect to see anything happen until the local economy starts to improve

Old 03-19-2010, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cofga View Post
If you read it in the Times it's sure to be hype. Right in the story the company spokespersons denied they were considering a store in Asheville. There is too much competition from Greenlife, Fresh Market, and Earthfare and it would cost a fortune to deliver goods to just one store in town. I think that is why the one Harris Teeter store has such high prices.

Now as for Costco I am more inclined to believe that, since there are Costco stores in Greenville and Spartenburg and Charlotte so Asheville could be served by the same distribution center. Target is even more likely since they already have 2 regular stores in town and a Super Target would just be an upgrade. My wife loved the Super Targets in NOVA and did all the grocery shopping there except for hitting the farmers market in season. However, I don't expect to see anything happen until the local economy starts to improve
You make a lot of sense, Cofga! Thanks for your perspective...

Janet

Old 03-19-2010, 12:48 PM

well, maybe WE know something they don't ?

this is what they've answered:

We appreciate you taking the time to email Costco Wholesale. Currently we do not have any public information regarding plans to open a Costco in your area.
Our real estate department is continually looking for ideas for new locations around the country and around the world.
We will forward your suggestion to our Real Estate Department so they are aware of your interest.
Thank you

best thing would be EVERYBODY here would email them, until it gets really annoying and the finally agree: asheville needs a costco

Old 03-21-2010, 07:30 PM

622 posts, read 1,664,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityGirl57 View Post
It would be fabulous if a Costco, a Trader Joes and Super Target entered the Asheville market. And while daydreaming, let's add Publix. There are rumors about Whole Foods coming to town too just like with Costco. Though I am not sure we really need a Whole Foods with EarthFare and Greenlife here plus all the smaller food oriented stores and shops. It's a matter of distribution centers in addition to having the population numbers and the right consumer profile. With the recession and economy of the past and current year it will be interesting to see what retailers come into and/or expand in WNC. But Costco would certainly be an attractive addition to many people! And some of these companies already have stores in other parts of NC.
There's a Fresh Market! The Fresh Market is awesome.. it's up on Merrimon north of Downtown..

Old 03-21-2010, 07:59 PM

fresh market sounds great !

We've also passed the 'farmers market' twice (on our way to the moose cafe ). Is it worth a look when it comes to produce ?
our farmers market here also features amish cheeses and meat, handcrafted furniture, flowers, shoes etc.
is this comparable to the asheville farmers market ? at least they look the same

Old 03-22-2010, 07:07 AM

765 posts, read 2,567,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
fresh market sounds great !

We've also passed the 'farmers market' twice (on our way to the moose cafe ). Is it worth a look when it comes to produce ?
our farmers market here also features amish cheeses and meat, handcrafted furniture, flowers, shoes etc.
is this comparable to the asheville farmers market ? at least they look the same
You can get all kinds of stuff in there including boiled peanuts--let me know what you think! There also is a nursery in there where you can get plants and separate from the general area is the section where you can buy in commercial bulk packaging--buy a bushel basket full and can or freeze it for the winter. This is often cheaper than actually growing it in the garden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina