U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 03:31 PM

3 posts, read 11,570 times

Advertisements

Yes, another person relocating to the Asheville area. I'm actually relocating to go to school. I will be looking for a place to rent and I have a horse as well that I need to find boarding for. It seems like everything I've been reading on here dealing with Asheville has been kind of negative. I'm from south florida so I know what it is like to live in a place that has been completely taken over by people. I would love to talk to some people about living in Asheville or some cool surrounding towns. Positive vibrations! thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2006, 10:10 PM

13 posts, read 41,581 times
Default Asheville Area

i will try to stay positive! but you are right it is VERY hard to watch everything change and mountains demolished for greed. Downtown Asheville is really cool. It has a real diversity of people, amazing places to eat, and really cool funky shops. There are also some great places to go horse back riding within an hour or less of the city. It's not all bad here, I just don't think it's what most people expect. The organic food selection and vegetarian options are fantastic. The blue ridge parkway has really cool walking/hiking trails with spectacular views. There are still a few people that do have pasture space for rent, you might want to try the Leicester area. About 20minutes from donwtown. Good luck on your move, any other specific questions just give a shout!

Old 12-18-2006, 07:35 AM

938 posts, read 2,456,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisab View Post
Yes, another person relocating to the Asheville area. I'm actually relocating to go to school. I will be looking for a place to rent and I have a horse as well that I need to find boarding for. It seems like everything I've been reading on here dealing with Asheville has been kind of negative. I'm from south florida so I know what it is like to live in a place that has been completely taken over by people. I would love to talk to some people about living in Asheville or some cool surrounding towns. Positive vibrations! thanks
I know when I reply to posts about moving to Asheville, I'm more cautionary than negative. You probably would not have the difficulties others have due to the fact you're moving here to become a student. You will not be looking for inexpensive homes to purchase or a well paying career type job like others seem to think grow on trees around here. Unfortunately, they don't. UNCA is a very good school if that's what you have in mind, and the community college here is very good as well. I think you'll be able to find decent rental housing at a good price too. Sorry but can't help you with the horse issue.

Asheville is a great, eclectic place to live. I hope it all works out for you. If you have more specific questions, I'll be happy to try to answer.

Old 12-18-2006, 08:05 PM

Thank you for answering my post. I'm new to this site, kind of found it out of the blue. I plan on taking a trip up to Asheville soon to look for a place to rent. Are you a vegetarian? You mentioned organic food. I'm actually applying to a holistic school about 30 miles from asheville. It's the North Carolina school of holistic herbalism, have you heard of it or know anyone who went there? I'm trying to get some more info on renting in or outside of asheville. I love the downtown area but I'm thinking it might be expensive now ( I was there 3 years ago). Just curious, why are so many people relocating there if there is such a lack of jobs? Is it pretty safe to live there? I know I'm asking a lot of questions, I just could really use some help here. Again I appreciate your response. Hope to hear back from you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackhead1620 View Post
i will try to stay positive! but you are right it is VERY hard to watch everything change and mountains demolished for greed. Downtown Asheville is really cool. It has a real diversity of people, amazing places to eat, and really cool funky shops. There are also some great places to go horse back riding within an hour or less of the city. It's not all bad here, I just don't think it's what most people expect. The organic food selection and vegetarian options are fantastic. The blue ridge parkway has really cool walking/hiking trails with spectacular views. There are still a few people that do have pasture space for rent, you might want to try the Leicester area. About 20minutes from donwtown. Good luck on your move, any other specific questions just give a shout!

Old 12-18-2006, 08:18 PM

thank you so much for your reply. I'm actually going to a holistic school outside of Asheville. Is there a neighborhood called West Asheville? If so do you know anything about it? I have not been back to Asheville in 3 yrs, I'm sure a lot has changed. I was going to move there then and I fell in love with the city. Is there really tons of people relocating there? Is it better to live outside of the city? I was reading about Bevard, I think that is the name of the town. Any thoughts on that. I'm more of a free spirit/alternative type person looking for a good community to live in or near. I appreciate your response and hopefully you can write back again. thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxors View Post
I know when I reply to posts about moving to Asheville, I'm more cautionary than negative. You probably would not have the difficulties others have due to the fact you're moving here to become a student. You will not be looking for inexpensive homes to purchase or a well paying career type job like others seem to think grow on trees around here. Unfortunately, they don't. UNCA is a very good school if that's what you have in mind, and the community college here is very good as well. I think you'll be able to find decent rental housing at a good price too. Sorry but can't help you with the horse issue.

Asheville is a great, eclectic place to live. I hope it all works out for you. If you have more specific questions, I'll be happy to try to answer.

Old 12-19-2006, 03:47 AM

13 posts, read 41,581 times
Default hey

Quote:
Thank you for answering my post. I'm new to this site, kind of found it out of the blue. I plan on taking a trip up to Asheville soon to look for a place to rent. Are you a vegetarian? You mentioned organic food. I'm actually applying to a holistic school about 30 miles from asheville. It's the North Carolina school of holistic herbalism, have you heard of it or know anyone who went there? I'm trying to get some more info on renting in or outside of asheville. I love the downtown area but I'm thinking it might be expensive now ( I was there 3 years ago). Just curious, why are so many people relocating there if there is such a lack of jobs? Is it pretty safe to live there? I know I'm asking a lot of questions, I just could really use some help here. Again I appreciate your response. Hope to hear back from you.
i am new on this too! i have had so many nice people helping with my move i thought i would try to help someone! yes i am vegan. the laughing seed is crazy good food(downtown asheville). i am aware of your school but i dont know anyone that attended, sorry I think one of the best resources for renting is the Mountain Express, which is a free local newspaper that can be picked up everywhere in Asheville. people move here to cater to the rich: spas and resorts. constructions jobs in all the new subdivisions. alot of people here that are young are trust fund babies or living off from some sort of inheritance. and yes it is very safe! the drug of choice is pot, but you do have other drugs available they just dont seem to be a problem. people here are really nice and laid back. there are great clubs, really talented local bands, a big community of alternative lifestyles, the area has alot to offer. they have a drum circle downtown once a wk and the new downtown condo owners are trying to put a stop to that. that is some really positive energy, but the condo peeps dont like the dreedlocks and "noise". right now is a really great time for someone like you to move to this area and try to help keep it like it is. any other questions just let me know and i will try to help you. the brevard area is nice but asheville has alot more to offer. good luck

Old 12-19-2006, 06:24 AM

938 posts, read 2,456,033 times
Quote:
thank you so much for your reply. I'm actually going to a holistic school outside of Asheville. Is there a neighborhood called West Asheville? If so do you know anything about it? I have not been back to Asheville in 3 yrs, I'm sure a lot has changed. I was going to move there then and I fell in love with the city. Is there really tons of people relocating there? Is it better to live outside of the city? I was reading about Bevard, I think that is the name of the town. Any thoughts on that. I'm more of a free spirit/alternative type person looking for a good community to live in or near. I appreciate your response and hopefully you can write back again. thank you.
Yes, West Asheville is a pretty large neighborhood, that seems to be home to a lot of holistic type shops from what I've seen. I live in South Asheville and don't get over there too often. It's an older neighborhood with less expensive homes going through a revitalization phase. Nice area. Brevard is nice too, but you probably wouldn't want to commute, kind of a long drive, especially in the winter due to the chance of snow or ice. If you go there make sure you look around the Brevard College campus for the white squirrels. They're all over the place out there.

There are a lot of people moving here, especially retirees which in turn drives up the house prices. This isn't an easy place to find affordable housing to purchase. Other than that, it's a great place. We really like it here, and I'm sure you will too.

Old 12-23-2006, 09:30 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,791,305 times
I don't know where your school is, but I'm looking at purchasing a home with a rental, barn and horse corral that I'll be renting out (assuming that I get the place). Anyway, I won't know for a few days whether or not I'll get the home and even if I do, it won't be until the end of Jan 07 till I move in.

Good luck with your move, there are places to board your horse, Madison county, Leicester, etc Depends which one is closer.

Take care. Asheville is pretty cool, the fact that there are Vegans, hippies and other assorted varities of people moving there is waaaay different than when I grew up there 20 years ago.

Tony

Old 01-10-2007, 08:15 AM

1 posts, read 3,854 times
Hi, I Have Wanted To Check Out The Holistic Schools In The Area For About 12 Years. Ever Since My Health Has Declined. It's Not Bad But I Feel That It Can Improve If I Know More About Living With Nature. Reciently Friends Of Ours Moved There And We (my Husband ) And I Get Only Good Reports. I'm Still Just Dreaming But Would Love To Attend A School And Check Out The Area. I'm From Gaylord, Michigan. It's Beautiful Here And I Am Happy. But There Isn't The Training I'm Looking For.
Molly

Old 01-10-2007, 09:35 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,619,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackhead1620 View Post
people here are really nice and laid back. there are great clubs, really talented local bands, a big community of alternative lifestyles, the area has alot to offer. they have a drum circle downtown once a wk and the new downtown condo owners are trying to put a stop to that. that is some really positive energy, but the condo peeps dont like the dreedlocks and "noise". right now is a really great time for someone like you to move to this area and try to help keep it like it is.
Really? That's a shame! My wife and I live in the Triangle but are actually hoping in 3-4 years to buy a downtown Asheville condo as a weekend getaway spot. We'd like to go there because of the funkiness, not in spite of it. I don't understand why you would buy a condo in downtown Asheville if you weren't looking for a cultured, urban lifestyle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina