Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 11:01 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,519,873 times

Advertisements

If iffy about weather, rent, in Morganton there’s one house advertised on Realtor.com for 1K, get a feel, then act if desired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 03:08 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
OP, you need to look out west. All of the southeast is humid, including the mountains. The mountains only feel better due to the cooler temps of higher elevations. I live in Florida, but used to have a vacation home in Asheville. Asheville overall felt less humid due to cooler temps, but the rest of the Carolinas were like murder to me, far worse than where I live in Florida near the coast). And I think Asheville will probably be out of your budget, I have friends moving there now and they tell me properties have gotten very expensive.

Take a look at the western states, I think they will suit you much better.
You are probably correct, Asheville maybe out of their budget but I think there are enough surrounding areas that can definitely be in their budget. In Asheville, there are few homes in that price range but they are older and need a total remodel. I just want to point this out.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:30 PM

33 posts, read 40,983 times
A word about the humidity in NC: We lived in the Raleigh area for many years and understand well the humidity situation in the state. Many folks think that when they move to the "mountains" they will escape the heat and humidity. Well, there are "the mountains", and then there is the High Country. The micro-climate here in the High Country is quite different from that of "the mountains". Most of the land in the High Country lies at an elevation of 3,000 feet and up, and there are many mountain ridges east of here running to the north and south and those ridges help keep the humid air coming up from the south away from us.

We have all four seasons and snow in the winter, but the snow is usually short-lived. Summer time is perfect, with comfortable humidity levels and only an occasional heat wave. We're at 3,400 feet and spend much of our time in the summer on the unscreened front porch - unscreened because there are virtually no pesty insects (saw a mosquito once last year). 20 miles to the east of us, and 2,000 feet lower, Wilkesboro, NC, is typically 12-15 degrees warmer than us during the summer and the humidity is substantially higher

We live in Ashe County, about 25 miles from Boone. Here you can find houses for less than $200K. Routine healthcare is good, with everything but heart surgery and neuro surgery available locally or in Boone. Those specialty surgeries are 90 minutes away at top-notch hospitals. Crime here is very low compared to urban areas of the state. Once you get away from Boone (a university town), the area is very conservative. The down side for you might be that there isn't a lot to do unless you have hobbies. Fishing is very good, with many stocked streams. There are a lot of retirees in the area - many Floridians summer here and eventually move here permanently. There are a lot of rental cabins and houses, so it would be easy to try out the area for a short period to see what you think.

Good hunting, and please give the High Country a look-see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina