Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 04:04 PM

6 posts, read 7,514 times

Advertisements

We are two successful Men that are thinking about purchasing a home in Western NC mountains for our summer home. We have been to Asheville several times and while we like it would like a home with some property and a higher altitude, that will allow us cooler summer days. We have been together 26 years and while we do not want an active bar scene, we want a welcoming community. Currently we have a home in Orlando and a beach home. We hope to sell one of these in the next few years after finding a community. We will be in WNC this August for a few weeks. While not actively looking now, would appreciate any ideas about where to look.
thanks
D&S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 04:09 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
Boone and Blowing Rock areas have a significant gay population if that matters...plus the higher elevation etc. you mentioned....Asheville is never quite so cool.

Old 04-23-2019, 04:44 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,223,199 times
My suggestion is Blowing Rock or Banner Elk...happy searching it's beautiful here!

Old 04-24-2019, 11:52 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,493 times
i agree blowing rock and banner elk but skip boone its a college kid town

banner elk and BR the biggest contingent is retirees lots of time from florida and bigger mix of local flavour

i personally feel two gay men can thrive and be happy but if you crave a strong pride culture, scene, and progressive politics i would look back to asheville.

I'm not even sure there is a huge temp difference between Aville and boone in the summer. High country colder for sure in the winter

Old 04-24-2019, 01:57 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,601,388 times
Higher Alt than 'Asheville': Black Mtn to east of A'ville, and Waynesville, Maggie Valley, Clyde, Sylva to the west of Asheville.
All have higher elevation surrounding the downtown(s), with houses from bare bones to big bucks, ascending the mtn surrounds.

Waynesville has a very thriving downtown; not pumping it as we live there and it's full, lol!

We have a half dozen couples/friends, gay; no one cares anymore, imo.
GL, mD

Old 04-25-2019, 05:53 AM

6 posts, read 7,514 times
Thanks everyone for the response. We are looking more for an accepting community than a active community, and where we can spend 4-6 months a year to get out of the Florida Heat.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:48 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,518,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando Guys View Post
Thanks everyone for the response. We are looking more for an accepting community than a active community, and where we can spend 4-6 months a year to get out of the Florida Heat.
Accepting with regard to what, as Md indicated, no one cares who I’m sleeping with, I too came to escape the FL heat, all I’ve encountered are welcoming people. I live in Marshall, you’ll find high/lower elevation, for various price points. When I trip downtown for a coffee and jam session at Zuma, there are lots of fine folks,
are they LGBTQS...who knows, welcoming...yes.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:27 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,319,644 times
You need to be above 3000 ft to escape the heat. There are several places around Asheville that would meet that description, but Asheville itself may be warmer than you would like. Check out wunderground.com . Boone and Blowing Rock are definitely cooler (usu around 5 degrees or so, sometimes more). Here's a link to July 2018 in Boone and July 2018 at the Asheville airport. There were 15 days at 85 or above in Asheville, vs only 1 day of 85, none higher, in Boone. Most summer highs in Boone are in the 70s/low 80s.

I think in the summer the college town atmosphere is not super strong in Boone, especially if you're not living right near the university. It's more of a tourist town in summer. We have a place there.

Last edited by poppydog; 04-25-2019 at 08:49 AM..

Old 04-25-2019, 09:47 AM

730 posts, read 774,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
You need to be above 3000 ft to escape the heat. There are several places around Asheville that would meet that description, but Asheville itself may be warmer than you would like. Check out wunderground.com . Boone and Blowing Rock are definitely cooler (usu around 5 degrees or so, sometimes more). Here's a link to July 2018 in Boone and July 2018 at the Asheville airport. There were 15 days at 85 or above in Asheville, vs only 1 day of 85, none higher, in Boone. Most summer highs in Boone are in the 70s/low 80s.

I think in the summer the college town atmosphere is not super strong in Boone, especially if you're not living right near the university. It's more of a tourist town in summer. We have a place there.
In Florida they call that October.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:51 PM

38 posts, read 57,576 times
Haha..good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever nickname here View Post
In Florida they call that October.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina