U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-14-2008, 11:40 PM

33 posts, read 61,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Retaining wall that supports the roadbed is collapsing, the whole road is in danger of falling off the mountain
Gawd.

I think it was 11 years ago this summer that I got caught up in one of those whacking summer storms on the parkway. Lightening bolts the size of, well, I don't know what, and hail that started out pea size but quickly turned golf ball size. It was beating my car to death, I was driving 8 or 9 mph trying to make it to the next tunnel for shelter. The car fish tailed, I bought it back, it fish tailed again and swung out towards the tall grasses at the edge. I thought the grass would stop me, being so deep, I thought the car would squash down into the ground. Instead it caused the car to pick up speed just a bit. Anyway, the car went end over end down a 300' cliff that missed being vertical by 5 or 6 degrees. The roof of the car was squashed down below the seats, except for an interesting pocket where I was sitting.

For me, some things are no longer a matter of faith but are rather fact. And I have a deep healthy respect for the notion of keeping the parkway safe. There were, and are, no guard rails where I went over.

Tourists have blissful feelings about the Appalachians and the parkway, and most see the whole thing as user friendly and safe, which it can be, but it can also get not that way quick, fast and in a hurry.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 10:18 AM

20,052 posts, read 21,055,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OconeeMountains View Post
Amen to that. The Appalachian mountains are among the oldest (and most beautiful) sites on earth. Their ancient majesty is literally prehistoric. Will our country honestly sit by and let unbridled capitalism 'develop' this beauty into oblivion. Is a better economy, more profit, really worth that?

I am with you all above who note the importance of maintaining infrastructure in our OWN country. While our roads and bridges fail (quite literally) we are building whole countries anew. In my humble opinion, NO new roads should be built - the ones we have should be improved to be safer, cleaner, and more accessible to bikes and other modes of transport.

On the topic at hand, the Blue Ridge Parkway was and is a jewel. Its disrepair is sad and a symptom of our Country's neglect to maintain the things we already have in lieu of new projects. I would love to see the areas in the mountains adjacent the the BRP conserved for future generations. Our kids, and their kids, deserve what we were born with. Conserve the land - don't develop it.
I agree with this. I LOVE the Blue Ridge Parkway. It is important to maintain its beauty. I may live in Texas ......but my heart lives in North Carolina!

Old 04-15-2008, 01:12 PM

45,154 posts, read 57,085,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tismyself View Post
Gawd.

I think it was 11 years ago this summer that I got caught up in one of those whacking summer storms on the parkway. Lightening bolts the size of, well, I don't know what, and hail that started out pea size but quickly turned golf ball size. It was beating my car to death, I was driving 8 or 9 mph trying to make it to the next tunnel for shelter. The car fish tailed, I bought it back, it fish tailed again and swung out towards the tall grasses at the edge. I thought the grass would stop me, being so deep, I thought the car would squash down into the ground. Instead it caused the car to pick up speed just a bit. Anyway, the car went end over end down a 300' cliff that missed being vertical by 5 or 6 degrees. The roof of the car was squashed down below the seats, except for an interesting pocket where I was sitting.

For me, some things are no longer a matter of faith but are rather fact. And I have a deep healthy respect for the notion of keeping the parkway safe. There were, and are, no guard rails where I went over.

Tourists have blissful feelings about the Appalachians and the parkway, and most see the whole thing as user friendly and safe, which it can be, but it can also get not that way quick, fast and in a hurry.
OHMYGOSH, how scary for you! Where exactly on the Parkway were you? How were you rescued?

Old 04-15-2008, 05:35 PM

33 posts, read 61,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
OHMYGOSH, how scary for you! Where exactly on the Parkway were you? How were you rescued?
Slightly north of Pisgah Mtn. The car left no trace of going over and I knew it would be days before anyone realized I was missing.

It is really something to be at the bottom of a mountain like that in a situation such as that. The things you think about, and the things you do, the strengths you find. And in the aftermath, questioning whether some of the things you saw and felt were "real" or not - and by that, I mean angels. No I do not doubt them although I am convinced I wear them out.

Nothing was broken, so I climbed out and flagged down a fellow who was visiting from Florida, bless his heart. At the hospital, nurses and doctors came to stare, the story went around like wild fire. The thing I mostly remember was they sent in a nun, I thought she was there to read my last rites. I flipped out! She was only there to help, and make phone calls to my family.

The whole thing changed my entire life, the way I look at things, my priorities, the stark raving reality of what is important and what is not. My honor, dignity, pride, and integrity are the only possessions I truly have.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tismyself View Post
Slightly north of Pisgah Mtn. The car left no trace of going over and I knew it would be days before anyone realized I was missing.

It is really something to be at the bottom of a mountain like that in a situation such as that. The things you think about, and the things you do, the strengths you find. And in the aftermath, questioning whether some of the things you saw and felt were "real" or not - and by that, I mean angels. No I do not doubt them although I am convinced I wear them out.

Nothing was broken, so I climbed out and flagged down a fellow who was visiting from Florida, bless his heart. At the hospital, nurses and doctors came to stare, the story went around like wild fire. The thing I mostly remember was they sent in a nun, I thought she was there to read my last rites. I flipped out! She was only there to help, and make phone calls to my family.

The whole thing changed my entire life, the way I look at things, my priorities, the stark raving reality of what is important and what is not. My honor, dignity, pride, and integrity are the only possessions I truly have.
Wow! I am stunned and in awe of what you went thru and yet lived to tell the tale. I too believe in angels and I'm glad to know you had one or two with you that day on the Parkway

Old 04-16-2008, 11:24 PM

758 posts, read 1,590,690 times
What a tale, tismyself! And I thought I was the only one wearing out angels!

I'm thinking about leaving some part of what little I have, when I fly off with one of those angels, to the preservation of the Blue Ridge Parkway. How would one go about that, anyway??

Jan

Old 04-17-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Parkies View Post
What a tale, tismyself! And I thought I was the only one wearing out angels!

I'm thinking about leaving some part of what little I have, when I fly off with one of those angels, to the preservation of the Blue Ridge Parkway. How would one go about that, anyway??

Jan

Either of these groups would love your support I am sure

FRIENDS of the Blue Ridge Parkway - FRIENDS of the Blue Ridge Parkway

or

The Nature Conservancy in North Carolina - Invasion Threatens Southern Blue Ridge Mountains

Old 04-17-2008, 10:29 PM

758 posts, read 1,590,690 times
Thanks, lovesMountains!

Old 04-29-2008, 11:06 AM

22,075 posts, read 40,089,853 times
I am going to send a link of this thread to the park supertindent in two days if anyone else has anything else they want to contribute their opinion of the proposed changes.
The link above is a dead link currently but this one has a little more detail and is active Blue Ridge Parkway Officials Solicit Public Ideas for an Alternative Management Plan - Science - redOrbit
Thanks

Old 04-29-2008, 11:34 AM

870 posts, read 1,288,744 times
Thanks for the links, I just made a donation to Friends Of The Blue Ridge Parkway. I truly hope this treasure is preserved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina