Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 12:00 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,252,507 times

Advertisements

I just read this article Charlotte Observer | 04/13/2008 | Public comment sought on future of Blue Ridge Parkway (http://www.charlotte.com/204/story/579678.html - broken link)
and I have to admit it makes me nervous
If anyone has a copy or obtain a copy of proposed changes in that 32 page publication please post some of the changes they are wanting.
I would like to see more accesible ways to know what scenic attractions, restaurants and lodging is available at each exit on the parkway.
The deadline if this thread does well I will send a link to the park supertindent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 06:57 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,004,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
If anyone has a copy or obtain a copy of proposed changes in that 32 page publication please post some of the changes they are wanting
I think this is it
NPS PEPC - Blue Ridge Parkway, Newsletter, Volume 5, Spring 2008

I just tried to download the PDFs and am stuck on the twirling hour glass. Don't know if it's traffic or maintenance.

Quote:
I would like to see more accessible ways to know what scenic attractions, restaurants and lodging is available at each exit on the parkway.
Preservation would be my choice. Over the 20 years we've had a chance to drive/ride the Parkway, there has been a lot of development that has spoiled views and created commuter traffic on a road that started as a tourist drive.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:49 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,414,577 times
Parkway needs funds, staff | NEWS | Asheville CITIZEN-TIMES.com
The infrastructure of the parkway is crumbling, and only small band-aids are being put on only the worst sores. If this continues, it will be only a series of short sections that will remain open.

I remember going on drives on the parkway with my parents when it was a gravel road, it seems to be going full circle.

Perhaps when Washington cares more about the infrastructure of this country than Iraq's we will see this trend reversed.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:27 AM

33 posts, read 92,692 times
I vote for a balance between the two, conservation and development.

If you go from Asheville to Mt. Mitchell, there is a great little place to stop off and talk to park rangers, buy maps etc., get a snack, use the restroom. The point with this is that the building isn't obtrusive, it blends in nicely.

It could be a great way to learn to live more with nature rather than beside nature as so often happens.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tismyself View Post
I vote for a balance between the two, conservation and development.

If you go from Asheville to Mt. Mitchell, there is a great little place to stop off and talk to park rangers, buy maps etc., get a snack, use the restroom. The point with this is that the building isn't obtrusive, it blends in nicely.

It could be a great way to learn to live more with nature rather than beside nature as so often happens.
But the road is going to be closed just south of there likely for the entire summer.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:36 PM

33 posts, read 92,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
But the road is going to be closed just south of there likely for the entire summer.
I hate to hear that. What happened? Rock slide?

(I still say the trout at the restaurant on Mt. Mitchell is bar none THE best!!)

Old 04-14-2008, 07:46 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,101,383 times
I think it would be a crying shame to try to change the Blue Ridge Parkways just for the sake of change. We have traveled that road many times, a few times from the start up in Front Royal, VA, and think it is such a wonderful thing to pass on to our children and their children.

Let's face it folks, we spend 1,000 more times in foreign countries to beef up their infrastructure in one year...which same amount would preserve the Blue Ridge for 100 years or more.

When our federal government folks realize they work FOR the People and not vice versa maybe that ludicrous foreign spending trend will stop and Mother Nature will get her fair share.

To me The Blue Ridge is far more important to America than some road in Afghanistan or Iraq.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:57 PM

4 posts, read 6,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralCoastalGuy View Post
I think it would be a crying shame to try to change the Blue Ridge Parkways just for the sake of change. We have traveled that road many times, a few times from the start up in Front Royal, VA, and think it is such a wonderful thing to pass on to our children and their children.

Let's face it folks, we spend 1,000 more times in foreign countries to beef up their infrastructure in one year...which same amount would preserve the Blue Ridge for 100 years or more.

When our federal government folks realize they work FOR the People and not vice versa maybe that ludicrous foreign spending trend will stop and Mother Nature will get her fair share.

To me The Blue Ridge is far more important to America than some road in Afghanistan or Iraq.
Right on about change for the sake of change and the federal govenment!

Old 04-14-2008, 11:10 PM

114 posts, read 376,525 times
Amen to that. The Appalachian mountains are among the oldest (and most beautiful) sites on earth. Their ancient majesty is literally prehistoric. Will our country honestly sit by and let unbridled capitalism 'develop' this beauty into oblivion. Is a better economy, more profit, really worth that?

I am with you all above who note the importance of maintaining infrastructure in our OWN country. While our roads and bridges fail (quite literally) we are building whole countries anew. In my humble opinion, NO new roads should be built - the ones we have should be improved to be safer, cleaner, and more accessible to bikes and other modes of transport.

On the topic at hand, the Blue Ridge Parkway was and is a jewel. Its disrepair is sad and a symptom of our Country's neglect to maintain the things we already have in lieu of new projects. I would love to see the areas in the mountains adjacent the the BRP conserved for future generations. Our kids, and their kids, deserve what we were born with. Conserve the land - don't develop it.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tismyself View Post
I hate to hear that. What happened? Rock slide?

(I still say the trout at the restaurant on Mt. Mitchell is bar none THE best!!)
Retaining wall that supports the roadbed is collapsing, the whole road is in danger of falling off the mountain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina