U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 05:31 PM

16 posts, read 30,195 times
Asheville is alot like Sarah Palin. It thinks it's more important than it is, is not very articulate, has a sort of rustic, bumpkin folkiness, and is so easy to make fun of. At least Sarah Palin could make fun of herself.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:52 PM

21,528 posts, read 16,161,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molliejohns View Post
I spent a week in Asheville and although I was very excited to go, I came home quite disappointed. I loved the surrounding mountains and nature but as for the city itself, the downtown area, I wasn't impressed at all. Everything I knew from a previous, shorter visit to Asheville and from the research I did on the area before my trip was proved false. Asheville is said to be a clean, diverse, friendly, open minded town and I didn't see ANY of that. The amount of homeless people is ridiculous; I live in central Florida and have experienced my fair share of panhandling in downtown Orlando but it was nothing like in Asheville. As funny as this may sound, I find a lot of the homeless in Orlando to be very friendly people, the kind of people you want to help out, but the homeless in Asheville were very rude. The shopping in downtown Asheville is not diverse at all; it is basically the same three head shops, junk stores, and art galleries over and over. The people of Asheville themselves are not diverse at all, either; all white, and maybe a couple of blacks. The most diversity I saw the entire week was in my significant other, who is a mix of Indian, Asian, and Spanish. Friendly? Not really, not more so than any other city. Furthermore, upon entering a store or restaurant, on more than occassion I felt as if we were given the once over and then, after being determined to be an "out-of-towner," blown off or ignored or treated in an outright rude manner. I really didn't see any diversity or open mindedness; I think the people of Asheville are very accepting of everyone, just so long as those "everyone" are white Buddhists, eat organically grown food, and have dreaded hair and enjoy smoking pot. If I sound as if I'm stereotyping, that makes sense because the people there seem to be trying so hard to fit into the "starving artist" or hippie lifestyle so to fit in with everyone else. How does that make you ecclectic, if you try so hard to be different in order to be just like everyone else who is "different"? It just seemed like all these "open minded" and "unique" people always had their noses in their air and a smirk on their face if someone who wasn't as "cool" as them passed by. .
You forgot about the part that they change restaurants faster than you change your underwear. I had the same opinion of Asheville that you did so I went over the mountains to the Tennessee side...where it's real.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:40 AM

428 posts, read 1,099,993 times
Interesting. I have been a visitor to Asheville and the surrounding area many times (have property there and plan to move there if retirement ever happens). I am a white female Floridian of a certain age . I did not see especially more panhandlers than I see in the Tampa area, and I suppose the sight of people in dreadlocks, etc, is not bothersome to me. I have found the people in general to be friendly. Our future neighbors in Asheville are delightful, and I have never been treated rudely by anyone.

The surrounding area has so many local arts and crafts people with their own studios--it is certainly not the same thing over and over! I visited some of them at their studios and they were welcoming and happy to show off their work, although I didn't buy things.

Downtowns have only so much to offer, and you can't expect Asheville to be New York, LA or Miami. But if you love mountain beauty, hiking, arts/crafts and you are a polite and thoughtful person to others, this area of the country has everything to offer! I love it.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:58 AM

34,510 posts, read 39,992,614 times
Mozart, no offense (or disrespect) at all intended, but until you have lived in Asheville . . . I don't know that you can really appreciate some of the disappointment that the long-time residents have expressed about their city and what has occurred there over the past decade or so . . .

Old 11-28-2008, 02:14 PM

16,311 posts, read 13,129,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozart271 View Post
Interesting. I have been a visitor to Asheville and the surrounding area many times

I have visited many places, and I also recognize that 'visiting' in no way qualifies me to understand what living there is like, and especially to second guess those that live there and see the reality every day.

Old 11-28-2008, 02:35 PM

3,446 posts, read 4,456,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I have visited many places, and I also recognize that 'visiting' in no way qualifies me to understand what living there is like, and especially to second guess those that live there and see the reality every day.
So...what are you saying about Asheville?

Do you agree with what this poster said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneluckymug View Post
I heard on the radio this morning that the homeless population in the shelters has doubled in the past 18 months What a wonderful city to live in!! While I have no problem with the poor or homeless....I do have a problem with the mindset here that is perfectly okay to be a vagrant and there is no reason to change. I hadn't checked the sex offender site in a while (maybe since I moved here since I don't have kids yet)..but it looks like Asheville caught the chicken pox. Another reason to move back to smaller town America of about 8K....the town had 4 sex offenders, none with children, and 1 of them ended up marrying the person he was with (statutory rape and they were about 5 years apart..19 and 14 I think)

Asheville...
Overpriced real estate
Overpriced food
Dirty Town
Crime infested
Rapidly increasing drug problem
Plethera of vagrants
Plethera of sex offenders
No jobs
The beauty is gone and replaced with corporate america
Traffic a plenty for a smaller city
Poor public schools
Surrounded by many towns which are now dead due to jobs
to China
Uneducated population
Dirty smelly hippies
The unfriendliest folks I have ever met

Old 11-28-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Mozart, no offense (or disrespect) at all intended, but until you have lived in Asheville . . . I don't know that you can really appreciate some of the disappointment that the long-time residents have expressed about their city and what has occurred there over the past decade or so . . .
I can understand that. Like everyone else, I've lived somewhere (mostly Tampa) for years, and I see plenty of things here that disappoint me. I know I don't have the perspective on Asheville that I would if I lived there for years. However, I am optimistic, and I plan to enjoy living there one day despite the drawbacks.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
And I didn't say that visiting Asheville qualified me to understand what living there is like, nor did I second-guess anyone. As I said in the last post, I realize there are downsides to Asheville, and changes over the past years that have not been viewed as positive.

I simply described my own experiences, which have been favorable. I don't hold expectations of Utopia but I am optimistic that living in Asheville will be a positive move for me in a few years.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:38 PM

16,311 posts, read 13,129,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooter View Post
So...what are you saying about Asheville?

Do you agree with what this poster said:
That is not the post I was responding to, please pay attention.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:59 AM

144 posts, read 236,039 times
I've always enjoyed my visits to Asheville but they have all been short trips. I've often wondered how it would be to live there and I get the impression that it may be a better place to visit than to call home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina