Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 08:18 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times

Advertisements

I ran into a guy with a rebel flag tee shirt at the Live at 5 event in downtown Asheville. We had a conversation about conservatives in Asheville. He stated that there were more conservatives than I had thought. He also stated that he lived in North Asheville and conservatives there were around “50%”. I found that hard to believe. I’m hoping that this thread can remain civil and stick to the topic. What is your opinion as to the amount of conservatives in the city Asheville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 08:34 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,641,105 times
Do you literally mean just Asheville, or the Asheville "area", i.e. Buncomce County? In 2016, Trump received 40% of the vote in Buncombe County, so clearly there is a strong conservative presence in the county. Here's an article that sheds a little light on the subject:

"In Buncombe County, Hillary Clinton claimed a 54 percent majority of votes, thanks primarily to heavily Democratic Asheville, the region’s largest city.

But this narrow majority was a strong showing without being the landslide she needed from urban counties to have been more competitive statewide. Clinton’s problem in Buncombe was that beyond Asheville, she carried few of the county’s small-towns and rural precincts.

Clinton did have an edge in the western portion of Black Mountain and the town of Woodfin. But elsewhere Donald Trump had strong support, including the incorporated towns of Montreat, Weaverville and Biltmore Forest. Unincorporated communities like Candler, Enka, Leicester, Swannanoa, Barnardsville, Arden, Fairview and Avery Creek all went for Trump.

The demographics of those places don’t tell a simple story. Some areas like Candler are home to many lower-income low-education white voters who were expected to back Trump. But Biltmore Forest, where the wealthy and highly educated voter pool didn’t match up as clearly with the supposed Trump demographic, also went solidly for the Republican candidate."

https://carolinapublicpress.org/2619...sis-wncs-vote/

Old 07-19-2019, 08:44 PM

I’m talking about the city limits of Asheville.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:44 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
You can just look at election results by precinct. Of course that only shows the people who vote, but it gives you a decent idea.

https://er.ncsbe.gov/contest_details...ontest_id=1001

Mouse over to get the percentages.

Compare to the map of Asheville from the city:
https://www.buncombecounty.org/commo..._Asheville.pdf

Old 07-20-2019, 05:42 AM

643 posts, read 669,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
In 2016, Trump received 40% of the vote in Buncombe County, so clearly there is a strong conservative presence in the county. /[/url]
I won't put a dog in this fight but a vote for Trump does not equate to being a conservative.

Old 07-20-2019, 05:56 AM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
^ +1

Ah, Labels...what is a 'conservative'?

I have yet to read a cogent definition, other than the usual buzz words/generalities, of being conservative or liberal...

Like asking for one's fave stock pick: there will be many opins/definitions of 'what is'.

In these current times, politics, social media, et al are often caught up in their own underwear over the divisie tags of 'conservative vs liberal'. The defining and cubbyhole effect are not good for any reasonable discourse, imo.

Old 07-20-2019, 06:29 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,641,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM2000 View Post
I won't put a dog in this fight but a vote for Trump does not equate to being a conservative.
Its a pretty good proxy, imo.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:49 AM

I wonder how many conservative/Trump voting people there are that are living in the city of Asheville that are just not open about it?

Old 07-20-2019, 09:04 AM

526 posts, read 459,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
^ +1

Ah, Labels...what is a 'conservative'?

I have yet to read a cogent definition, other than the usual buzz words/generalities, of being conservative or liberal...

Like asking for one's fave stock pick: there will be many opins/definitions of 'what is'.

In these current times, politics, social media, et al are often caught up in their own underwear over the divisie tags of 'conservative vs liberal'. The defining and cubbyhole effect are not good for any reasonable discourse, imo.

My definition is a Christian based life,
Cheap, LOL Frugal anyway,
Does a lot of volunteer work,
Works (doing anything legal to care for family) and lives within means. Will never agree to handouts and would rather eat dirt.
Patriotic to the Red, White, And Blue.
I can go on but ya get the idea.

Old 07-20-2019, 01:08 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I’m talking about the city limits of Asheville.
In city limits, I run into way more liberals than conservatives. I see Bernie stickers all over. Once in a blue moon, when traveling on 26, I see a Trump sticker. That doesn't mean they live in city limits either. I have one neighbor who flies his Rebel flag. I do live in a neighborhood with lots of older people but honestly I don't know everyone's political affiliation. The neighbors on each side of me are liberal, including me. It's just my observation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina