Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 11:14 AM

5,418 posts, read 5,930,190 times

Advertisements

You know the old saying, "to each his own". This is especially appropriate for places to live and automobiles.

I have visited many places in NC and I will say, I've never visited a town in WNC that I didn't like for one reason or another. While I like them all, living IN THEM is an issue for us. I would have to live OUTSIDE THEM to be truly comfortable.
In summary: Proximity good, in amongst them not so good.

You have the right idea/game plan, visit them all, you are semi-retired now, nothing but time on your hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 05:08 PM

26,941 posts, read 43,460,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Brevard is "cute". Brevard College is a music college, different atmosphere, very nice area to retire in. Brevard can be a bit 'uppity'. Not what the OP is looking for according to his needs; in my humble opinion, having resided here for several years. I do appreciate your opinion though-- are you still in FL, or are you living nearby in WNC now ?
It's also quite progressive which is unusual for Western NC outside of Asheville, Boone and perhaps Hendersonville which is kind of morphing in recent years. I am not up there yet but spend as much time there as possible and job prospects/potential job transfer willing I will be there as a resident in June when my lease expires here. In terms of uppity I think you might be overlapping that with intellectual, as I have found Brevard residents (especially downtown business owners) extremely open and welcoming.

Old 09-22-2019, 04:44 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,945,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's also quite progressive which is unusual for Western NC outside of Asheville, Boone and perhaps Hendersonville which is kind of morphing in recent years. I am not up there yet but spend as much time there as possible and job prospects/potential job transfer willing I will be there as a resident in June when my lease expires here. In terms of uppity I think you might be overlapping that with intellectual, as I have found Brevard residents (especially downtown business owners) extremely open and welcoming.
Hi Kyle, I see you are finally going to move up here. Good luck with the move Btw, I am in Asheville.

Old 09-22-2019, 04:47 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,945,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
You know the old saying, "to each his own". This is especially appropriate for places to live and automobiles.

I have visited many places in NC and I will say, I've never visited a town in WNC that I didn't like for one reason or another. While I like them all, living IN THEM is an issue for us. I would have to live OUTSIDE THEM to be truly comfortable.
In summary: Proximity good, in amongst them not so good.

You have the right idea/game plan, visit them all, you are semi-retired now, nothing but time on your hands.
I agree with "to each his own". One person may like to live in one area and another person in different area. It's all about what you like. The best way to chose is to visit several times and do the daily stuff to get a feel of different areas. There's something for everyone

Old 09-23-2019, 12:12 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,953,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
yep, I found her original comment be fairly inaccurate. I wouldnt classify Brevard as a very small town. Of course, it can be subjective depending on where one has resided most of their lives, but I travel alot around WNC for work, there's a big difference in a small mountain town and a very small mountain town. You dont have to go far outside of Brevard to see what a very small town is, and that's Rosman. Plus, someone who says easy access to the BRP is all we have shows me they have spent little to no time here, or just dont get out much.

And you are right, I would rank Brevard as probably one of the more moderate/progressive small towns in WNC.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:31 PM

3 posts, read 3,481 times
Thanks all for the replies. Black Mountain seems like a good reccomedation, I'll add it to the visit list. Is it as pricey as Ashville since it's close by? Brevard seems promising too. We currently live in a small college town in Eastern WV, we like the vibe of the town but not crazy about the weather here, winters can get pretty cold/snowy and summers are really hot/humid/buggy. One of the many reasons we are considering WNC is weather seems pretty mild year round (depending on elevation), would love to hear your take on that.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:25 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,246,220 times
I really doubt if it's that much different than eastern WV at all. I would expect pretty similar temps. Maybe see what you can find online.

Old 09-25-2019, 04:32 AM

787 posts, read 773,734 times
Come check out Burnsville and Yancey County NC . Valley area weather can be very different from high ele to ridge lines too .

Old 09-26-2019, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Hi Kyle, I see you are finally going to move up here. Good luck with the move Btw, I am in Asheville.
Hi Becky, thanks! How are you liking Asheville versus the Greenville area?

Old 09-26-2019, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
yep, I found her original comment be fairly inaccurate. I wouldnt classify Brevard as a very small town. Of course, it can be subjective depending on where one has resided most of their lives, but I travel alot around WNC for work, there's a big difference in a small mountain town and a very small mountain town. You dont have to go far outside of Brevard to see what a very small town is, and that's Rosman. Plus, someone who says easy access to the BRP is all we have shows me they have spent little to no time here, or just dont get out much.

And you are right, I would rank Brevard as probably one of the more moderate/progressive small towns in WNC.
Spot on, and also unlike Black Mountain for instance one wouldn't need to consistently drive out of town for most necessities or entertainment. Brevard is fairly self-contained in terms of a variety of grocery stores (versus just one), restaurants, everyday shopping (Walmart, etc) along with all kinds of cultural events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina