Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2020, 01:32 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,337,065 times

Advertisements

https://www.blueridgenow.com/news/20...of-coronavirus

"Buncombe County Health and Human Services has identified the first case of COVID-19 in a resident.This morning, BCHHS received notification of the case, which makes two cases of COVID-19 associated with Buncombe County.

The person has been notified and remains in isolation at home. They have been isolated since testing was performed, following guidance of public health and their healthcare provider.

BCHHS Public Health is investigating to determine the case’s source of exposure and will be contacting individuals identified as having close contact to this case per public health protocol.

Further details about the individual will not be released by BCHHS Public Health to protect their privacy."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2020, 06:20 PM

5,419 posts, read 5,933,188 times
Just for conversational purposes. (and because I'm staying away from people by keeping my butt here at home) Why do they have to protect the individual's privacy. BCHHS, a tax run authority, test them with, in all probability, tax paid for test kits. Why do we, the taxpayer that contributed to the cost, get blocked from knowing the location of the case?

I'd prefer to know who they were and where the heck they've been in the past 4 days so I can self-report myself if I came in their general vicinity.

Is this a matter of national security?

Old 03-22-2020, 06:35 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,453,546 times
Hippa.

Old 03-22-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Hippa.
Agreed, But they are waving many other restrictions, this might be one they should wave in these cases. Nothing to hide here, not protecting anyone from crowds or reporters that might converge on them.

Old 03-23-2020, 09:37 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,337,065 times
Well, in the news there are stories of people who came into contact with those infected and are isolating. I hope what's happening is that ppl who were in the vicinity of the infected person are being contacted. I assume it's done by medical staff who interview the patient about their whereabouts. Otherwise, I think patients names would get out (ie: if Joe calls the restaurant to tell them he's sick, it's likely his name would get out; but if hospital/medical staff call then they can just say "someone" who was infected was there).

I don't need a name/address, but I'd like to know if I was where they were. I imagine the only way to do that is for a notice to go out, like: "If you were at XYZ restaurant on (or after?) March X, you may need to be tested".

But I honestly haven't seen anything like that. Not really helpful, I know. Just some thoughts.

Old 03-23-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
Well, in the news there are stories of people who came into contact with those infected and are isolating. I hope what's happening is that ppl who were in the vicinity of the infected person are being contacted. I assume it's done by medical staff who interview the patient about their whereabouts. Otherwise, I think patients names would get out (ie: if Joe calls the restaurant to tell them he's sick, it's likely his name would get out; but if hospital/medical staff call then they can just say "someone" who was infected was there).

I don't need a name/address, but I'd like to know if I was where they were. I imagine the only way to do that is for a notice to go out, like: "If you were at XYZ restaurant on (or after?) March X, you may need to be tested".

But I honestly haven't seen anything like that. Not really helpful, I know. Just some thoughts.
I agree with your thoughts completely, health authorities SHOUD be running down every know associate of the infected party.

They (health dept) work 8 or 10 hour days which means it might take them a day, two days, a week to contact me. If the info was published in a press release, it could/would be instantaneous.

I know, I know before another reminder.. HIPPA. FERPA.... just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina