Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2006, 01:15 PM

3 posts, read 14,160 times

Advertisements

What county is Fires Creek in and how is the surrounding area as far as day to day life? I have heard it is beautiful there but is great to visit, not necessarily reside. Any opinions? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2006, 01:26 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
Clay County and kind of remote. Out of NC's 100 counties, Clay ranks 96th in population.

Last edited by mm34b; 05-04-2006 at 01:36 PM..

Old 01-28-2007, 05:18 PM

129 posts, read 488,998 times
Fires Creek is gorgeous!! It's in Clay County, and although not densely populated, it's a great little town. The schools are top notch, the people friendly. And while we don't have shopping malls or most of the chain type restaurants, we do have everything you need for everyday life. Grocery stores, restaurants,movies etc. We do alot of shopping online for old navy,gap, American Eagle etc. We are only about two hours from Atlanta,Chattanooga and Asheville so if we do want to go to the city, we are close enough to go and enjoy the amenities, but far enough away not to worry about the crime,traffic,etc.I love it here and so do the kids! If you need any other info, just let me know!

Old 11-08-2008, 07:54 PM

108 posts, read 272,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingreene View Post
Fires Creek is gorgeous!! It's in Clay County, and although not densely populated, it's a great little town. The schools are top notch, the people friendly. And while we don't have shopping malls or most of the chain type restaurants, we do have everything you need for everyday life. Grocery stores, restaurants,movies etc. We do alot of shopping online for old navy,gap, American Eagle etc. We are only about two hours from Atlanta,Chattanooga and Asheville so if we do want to go to the city, we are close enough to go and enjoy the amenities, but far enough away not to worry about the crime,traffic,etc.I love it here and so do the kids! If you need any other info, just let me know!
Hello, My wife and I just visited fires creek cove looking for property to relocate from Michigan. How are the summers and winters? ( michigan winters are getting old ) We loved the area and the beautiful scenery. What do you have for medical services? how are property taxes? Do most people go to Murphy for shopping. Anything you could give for advise to a new neighbor? thanks, Jeff

Old 11-15-2008, 04:29 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,969,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by higelj2 View Post
Hello, My wife and I just visited fires creek cove looking for property to relocate from Michigan. How are the summers and winters? ( michigan winters are getting old ) We loved the area and the beautiful scenery. What do you have for medical services? how are property taxes? Do most people go to Murphy for shopping. Anything you could give for advise to a new neighbor? thanks, Jeff
The summers and winters are both mild. There were a couple of winters we didn't see a flake of snow! Some people go to Murphy for shopping, but others use Hiwassee,GA. There are also hospitals in both towns,as well as Blairsville,Ga.For major medical issues there is Asheville, Atlanta and Chattanooga, allabout two hours away.None better than Mission Hospital in Asheville for heart issues!! Property taxes aren't bad at all, some of the cheapest I've seen,in fact. People can be friendly, but a lot are stand offish, and IMHO, it seems like the people that have moved in seem to be the biggest culprits of that. I still have friends and a lot of family there, it's beautiful.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:51 PM

108 posts, read 272,667 times
thank you HAPPEEMOMMEE for your info. Can you tell me if automobiles need inspections? yearly? Any negative aspects to the area that you are aware of? very pretty area!! thanks again, Jeff

Old 11-18-2008, 04:10 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,969,796 times
Hi again!

Yes you do have to have yourcar inspected on a yearly basis. And as for negatives, the area can be a bit "clickish" and if you ever happen to get on the wrong side of a police officer, you'll know it. It's really a nice area as a whole, but jobs are scarce.Also, depending on what you like to do, it could be a little remote. That didn't bother us, we enjoyed being about two hours from malls and larger towns.There is two movie theaters there and all the necessary things. We shopped online a lot,which again, didn't bother us! I do think for the most part, an area is what you make of it. If you are church going people you should be able to make friends rather quickly.

Let me know if you can think of anything else I might be able to answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina