U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 01:31 PM

2 posts, read 4,944 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a retired fellow (61) with a significant other and a 4-year-old boy. Golf is my main passion. Like to be outside a lot. I want a spot with a good view of the mountains and just open country in general. City conveniences unimportant. Bottom line, I just want a place to raise my kid that's relatively safe, decent schools, and pretty for my old eyes...:-). Any suggestions? (The reason I'm on an NC site is because my "other" has family in Morehead City - yet I don't wish to be TOO close, and I like the mountains. Re the mountains, I don't wish to actually live up high as then weather would restrict my outdoor activities).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2006, 01:51 PM

131 posts, read 130,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsy270 View Post
Hi, I'm a retired fellow (61) with a significant other and a 4-year-old boy. Golf is my main passion. Like to be outside a lot. I want a spot with a good view of the mountains and just open country in general. City conveniences unimportant. Bottom line, I just want a place to raise my kid that's relatively safe, decent schools, and pretty for my old eyes...:-). Any suggestions? (The reason I'm on an NC site is because my "other" has family in Morehead City - yet I don't wish to be TOO close, and I like the mountains. Re the mountains, I don't wish to actually live up high as then weather would restrict my outdoor activities).
It has much to offer

Old 12-25-2006, 03:33 PM

462 posts, read 1,664,495 times
I'd say for golfing [and views of the mountains, but not too far up], somewhere in the country around Hendersonville or Waynesville. And the schools are good and safe.

Old 12-25-2006, 04:19 PM

43 posts, read 145,873 times
Your Sig Other Must Be Abit Younger Than Ya...atta Boy, Anyhow I Heard Boone Is Very Nice Along With Ashville..

Old 12-25-2006, 06:36 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,282,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsy270 View Post
Contact a realtor in the Sparta area. There are several golf type communities there with great mountain backdrops. The area is not overly developed and would be less expensive than the places other posters suggested. Plus, for trips to the family in Morehead City you would be a bit closer. Good luck!

Old 12-25-2006, 08:53 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,241,897 times
2006-2007 County Property Tax Rates for the Mountain Region of North Carolina

Cherokee - .5200 per $100
Clay - .4000
Macon - .3700
Graham - .4700
Swain - .3300
Haywood - .4970
Jackson - .3600
Transylvania - .5400
Henderson - .5650
Buncombe - .5300
Polk - .6800
Madison - .5100
Yancey - .5000
McDowell - .5500
Rutherford - .6100
Mitchell - .5200
Burke - .5900
Avery - .3800
Caldwell - .5399
Watauga - .3130
Ashe - .3950
Alleghany - .7000
Wilkes - .6100

Old 12-26-2006, 06:46 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,021,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Contact a realtor in the Sparta area. There are several golf type communities there with great mountain backdrops.
Roaring Gap (on highway 21 about 10 miles south of Sparta) is a nice community. Has a tony golf course in a non-gated community. Is near Stone Mountain for hiking and other outdoorsy stuff
http://www.ntsg.umt.edu/personnel/mattj/images/stnmtn.gif (broken link)
and an entrance to the Blue Ridge Parkway is right up the road.

I checked a realtor site and saw properties listed anywhere from 2 acres for 17k to swishy estates going for ~1mil.

It's in the Alleghany schools system http://www.alleghany.k12.nc.us/ Looking at their site, they seem quite upfront about their standings. If you don't want to be in a touristy, soon-to-be expensive county, you might want to check the Alleghany area.

Old 12-26-2006, 09:56 AM

41 posts, read 179,948 times
Hello,

I wanted to give you some links to some good golf courses around West Jefferson, Boone, Roan Mountain area. I have played some of these but now tend to play Mountaine Aire Golf Course since I am planning on building a house there.

http://www.mountainaire.com/
http://www.golflink.com/golf-courses...sp?course=6588
http://www.redtailmountain.com/

I went to school at App and have hiked/camped/paddled over much of this area in years after graduation. During certain parts of the year (Jan - March), some outdoor activity will be limited due to either cold weather, snow or both.

I can not think of a better place to be a kid other than the beach. Each season brings new interest for kids to explore and learn from. Summer - it will be exploring and swimming in the New River. Winter will be snowball fights or skiing.

Down the mountain, I would recommend Hickory or Charlotte. They are 30 - 45 minutes away and can offer more year round outdoor activities.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:17 PM

5 posts, read 14,305 times
I noticed your post was 2 years ago, and I don't know if you are still looking or not, but here are a couple of suggestions for you just in case!

You should look into Transylvania County. That is where I live. I used to work in Lake Toxaway at the Lake Toxaway Country Club and it is one of the most beautiful golf courses I have ever seen in my life!!! Greens so plush you just want to lay down and go to sleep on them. The same can be said about Etowah Country Club, just outside of Transylvania County. I live in Penrose within Transylvania, on the top of a mountain, and have a 10 month old son. I couldn't imagine a more wonderful place to live. Large valleys, a beautiful view of the parkway no matter where you are. So many things for children and families to do and only minutes away from the Pisgah National Forest and the parkway. Brevard has a HUGE reputation for retired families to relocate to, as does Lake Toxaway and Sapphire. If you are looking for off the mountain I would look at Brevard, Pisgah Forest, Penrose, and Little River withing Transylvania Country and Etowah within Henderson Country. I live just on the county line between Transylvania and Henderson in Penrose. Such a wonderful area, GREAT for golfing no matter where you are in the county, and amazing and fun for families. My husband is also a golfer!!!! He is 37, I am 25 and we have both lived moved here years and years ago from large cities and we wouldn't trade it for the world!!!!! I don't have the knack for it, but I still love to go out on the greens and watch my hubby hit a few!! We also have numerous driving ranges around too. Weather is almost never a concern as it is decent here all year round. Occasionally we have a winter where we get about a foot of snow or so, but it doesn't last for long, usually gone within just a few days. It rarely gets TOO cold to get outside and do something. Lake Toxaway is worse for snow and bad weather being high up but has the best gold course. In Penrose, we live on top of a mountain, but not so high that weather is an issue. Good Luck with your hunt!!!!

Old 11-18-2008, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,172 times
I live in the small, Mountain surrounded, honest-to goodness real Mountain Town of Burnsville, Yancey Co. NC.It is still an original Historic Town with a Town Square !. The people are great and you feel SAFE. Golf courses are within an easy drive-10 to 12 miles. Our Schools are great and have a lot of activities for family and kids.The road that I live on has an Elementary School at the bottom of the road.The whole Town of Burnsville is surrounded by beautiful mountains. Good luck on your choice of location, Western NC. is the best.

Last edited by mm34b; 11-18-2008 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: Edited to comply with Terms of Service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina