Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 09:33 AM

902 posts, read 808,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
My husband and I live in Florida (where I was born and raised) and in 2005 we bought a little house in Kenilworth Forest that we used on a part-time vacation basis and the thought we might retire there. I even considered moving up there first while my husband would commute. At the time we thought we loved Asheville; I appreciated the quirkiness of some of the residents, loved the downtown and the natural beauty of the mountains. Well, we had the place for 3 years, and by the third year, for us, the bloom was off the rose. The downtown was gentrifying while at the same time there were more homeless; I am a bike rider but older and bicycling was almost impossible for me there. I also really hate cold weather, even a little cold, so half the year the weather was not good for me. Don't get me wrong, Asheville is a beautiful town, but after three years I could see it wasn't for us.

So we sold that house in 2008 and went back to Sarasota where we lived many years. I love it but like Asheville, it is just too touristy and geared to tourists and realized we wanted to retire in a community, not a tourist area so we bought in a non touristy central Florida town, and we love it here. For this time in our lives it is perfect. I did not write this post to denigrate Asheville in any way, it's beautiful and I have friends there. Rather just to illustrate the point that people like or dislike places for different reasons; and that does not make a place good or bad, per se. Kind of just about changing needs at different times in one's life.
That's a great perspective, and glad you found a community that you now enjoy. There's no harm in searching around for what suits you best, just as we have done here in TN.

Our opinions of AVL stem from still being involved there through work and the fact that we still spend a fair amount of time in the area. We're a lot closer than you are (35 - 50 minutes away depending on where we end up at) and still love certain things about the area too. We just enjoy them from afar now but hate seeing the area heading in the wrong direction ... and fast.

Seems like those moving there have absolutely no concern for the future of the area, and it grates my nerves seeing such a beautiful place going to the wayside. Many who live there now care more about Wal Marts and apartment complexes than the health of the area and its residents, and its shows everyday if you pay close enough attention.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 06-17-2020 at 09:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 12:05 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
You are making some broad, sweeping statements which many people in western NC are not going to agree with you on. Asheville is consistently ranked as one of the best places to visit, live, retire, etc., in the U.S. This IS a fact. We have found people in western NC to be extremely friendly and family-oriented. We have travelled to many parts of the world and most of the U.S., and western NC is at the top in terms of natural beauty. Vince, I've said and will continue to say I'm happy you moved to TN and are happy there. But your continued need to denigrate and trash Asheville and western NC on this forum befuddles me.
I agree with you. I have lived here for 2 1/2 years. I've lived in a few other places and never have I experienced the majority of people as friendly and helpful as here. To me, it feels like a community and everyone tries to stick together. I constantly see people reaching out to others whenever they can help. It's just different here in a positive way. I appreciate the honesty from Vince but he's in the minority of what people think about Asheville/Buncombe Co. Not every place is perfect for everyone and not everyone fits into the same place.

Old 06-17-2020, 12:54 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,300,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
My husband and I live in Florida (where I was born and raised) and in 2005 we bought a little house in Kenilworth Forest that we used on a part-time vacation basis and the thought we might retire there. I even considered moving up there first while my husband would commute. At the time we thought we loved Asheville; I appreciated the quirkiness of some of the residents, loved the downtown and the natural beauty of the mountains. Well, we had the place for 3 years, and by the third year, for us, the bloom was off the rose. The downtown was gentrifying while at the same time there were more homeless; I am a bike rider but older and bicycling was almost impossible for me there. I also really hate cold weather, even a little cold, so half the year the weather was not good for me. Don't get me wrong, Asheville is a beautiful town, but after three years I could see it wasn't for us.

So we sold that house in 2008 and went back to Sarasota where we lived many years. I love it but like Asheville, it is just too touristy and geared to tourists and realized we wanted to retire in a community, not a tourist area so we bought in a non touristy central Florida town, and we love it here. For this time in our lives it is perfect. I did not write this post to denigrate Asheville in any way, it's beautiful and I have friends there. Rather just to illustrate the point that people like or dislike places for different reasons; and that does not make a place good or bad, per se. Kind of just about changing needs at different times in one's life.
I'm not saying Asheville doesn't have some challenges. EVERY city does. I think a lot of the animosity toward Asheville boils down to resentment toward its evolving progressiveness. If you've lived there for a some time and tend toward conservatism, you're likely not going to like this trend. And that's completely understanding. In many respects, Asheville is a lot like Austin (albeit on a smaller scale and without the high tech companies). It is what it is and I don't see it reverting. So, if you're not happy living there, and can afford to, then move, like Vince did. There are likely 3 or 4 families waiting to buy your house, as they see Asheville as a highly desirable place to live. BTW, we are registered Independents (but vote Republican 95% of the time); we chose Hendersonville/Flat Rock and can visit the more progressive Asheville or more conservative Greenville or enjoy life in Hendersonville/Flat Rock.

Old 06-19-2020, 12:40 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
Quote:
The looting that happened? The violence?
I searched for looting + Asheville and found no hits except Fox News. I did see reports of vandalism. My search for riot + Asheville brought up a USA today story on the police attacking a medic station. I don't consider Fox news to be reliable and I'm wondering if there are other reports of people stealing merchandize through a broken window which is my definition of looting.

Before you paint TN as some sort of nirvana, here's a report of vandalism on Knoxville's market square.

https://www.wbir.com/article/news/co...2-40917ebfe9b3

The surveillance video isn't loading for me today - it showed a crowd of white youth, at least 2/3 were wearing shorts or clothing where you could see they were white.

I'm happy living in Knoxville because I am comfortable around political and economic diversity and also it appeals to my frugal nature. But I can understand why someone would want to live in Asheville. Especially someone who had encountered discrimination for their viewpoints, orientation, etc.

Vince, I had occasionally toyed with the idea of looking for a vacation spot in Erwin because it is a beautiful place and the proximity to Asheville is a plus. At some point recently I searched Sundown Town + Erwin and came across a history that was very disturbing. Have you encountered overt racism?

Old 06-20-2020, 09:17 AM

118 posts, read 279,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I searched for looting + Asheville and found no hits except Fox News. I did see reports of vandalism. My search for riot + Asheville brought up a USA today story on the police attacking a medic station. I don't consider Fox news to be reliable and I'm wondering if there are other reports of people stealing merchandize through a broken window which is my definition of looting.

Before you paint TN as some sort of nirvana, here's a report of vandalism on Knoxville's market square.

https://www.wbir.com/article/news/co...2-40917ebfe9b3

The surveillance video isn't loading for me today - it showed a crowd of white youth, at least 2/3 were wearing shorts or clothing where you could see they were white.

I'm happy living in Knoxville because I am comfortable around political and economic diversity and also it appeals to my frugal nature. But I can understand why someone would want to live in Asheville. Especially someone who had encountered discrimination for their viewpoints, orientation, etc.

Vince, I had occasionally toyed with the idea of looking for a vacation spot in Erwin because it is a beautiful place and the proximity to Asheville is a plus. At some point recently I searched Sundown Town + Erwin and came across a history that was very disturbing. Have you encountered overt racism?
Try digging deeper in your research. As of this writing: Rioters have repeatedly shut down I-240; resulting in them getting tear gassed. (And rightfully so. The 1st Amendment doesn't protect rioting, nor blocking the right of way for others.) I don't suppose you saw the pictures of the piles of bricks suddenly being stockpiled throughout the downtown area? So what was that for; to build new houses? Hardly...... This is not the first time Asheville has experienced civil unrest to the detriment of local business owners and residents alike. "Occupy Asheville" comes to mind....... here's the bottom line: If Asheville truly wants the counter-culture "weird" experience, then they MUST counter and reduce the inherent crime that comes with that kind of environment. Rioting, Looting, Drug Use, Trespassing, Panhandling, and Vandalism are NOT things that people want to experience when they come to Asheville; and these crimes (YES, they are crimes and not expressions of freedom) should be nipped right in the bud...... NOT encouraged....... Which the City Council and Mayor seem more and more willing to accommodate.

Old 06-20-2020, 11:56 AM

52 posts, read 29,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I agree with you. I have lived here for 2 1/2 years. I've lived in a few other places and never have I experienced the majority of people as friendly and helpful as here. To me, it feels like a community and everyone tries to stick together. I constantly see people reaching out to others whenever they can help. It's just different here in a positive way. I appreciate the honesty from Vince but he's in the minority of what people think about Asheville/Buncombe Co. Not every place is perfect for everyone and not everyone fits into the same place.
I think it boils down to a person's experience and perception living anywhere. I lived on the Arden/Asheville line just off Sweeten Creek for several years in a middle class development carved into the side of a mountain. While there were a few nice neighbors, a majority of them came across as standoffish and several were downright arseholes. It was hardly the friendly everyone helps everyone community a person tries to paint his or her town as being. But again, highly subjective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina