Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 12:59 PM

5 posts, read 14,432 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to relocate to North Carolina in January. I'm tired of living in FL where it is Summer basically 10 months out of the year. Not to mention the housing costs in the Central FL area have increased way too much over the past few years - locking me into renting. Owning a home is important to me. I found a house I love in Hendersonville. I understand the city has a reputation for being a retirement community. I'm only 29 but I can certainly appreciate a smaller, quiet town. I also work in the medical field so it seems I will have employment opportunities there. But I'm hoping to hear from people who live in Hendersonville or close by. I'm wondering if home values are steadily appreciating there, if crime is an issue, if the schools are good, etc. I don't have kids yet but plan on starting a family and want to make sure Hendersonville would be the right place to call home. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2006, 12:49 AM

2,209 posts, read 7,655,552 times
It's about the same real estate money as central Fla. Income taxes in NC will equalize the perceived cost benefits of a lower homeowners insurance and/or property taxes. There's a hospital in Hendersonville ( Pardee ) whose focus seems to be on Cancer. Mission in Asheville, about 35 minutes highway entrance to exit, not including rush hour is more focused on heart and vascular. Quite a bit of focus on holistic medicine around Asheville which is a really good thing if you ask me. Health insurance costs seem quite a bit higher in NC than in Fla. I have Golden Rule which is excellent here in Fla but they have no plans in NC. Therefore I would need to incorporate there as it's a no decline state on group policies but the costs would be almost double what I'm paying in SW Fla.

All things considered, especially considering state income taxes in NC, unless your coming from a Heathrow type environment you'll find Hendersonville/NC costs no cheaper, and maybe a little more than Central Fla.

Fla may no longer be the "deal" it was a couple years ago, NC sure isn't a panacea of bargains either.

So it will come down to what lifestyle and "access" do you prefer.

Good luck!

Old 11-23-2006, 08:33 AM

Thanks for responding MrTudo. I see you also live in FL. Did you previously live in NC? I am aware of the state income tax in NC but haven't let that scare me off just yet. I was extremely happy to find that I can purchase a 2300 sq ft home on 3.5 acres for $200,000 in Hendersonville. For that price, I could purchase a smaller condo in a decent neighborhood in the suburbs of Orlando. So the housing market is still definitely a factor for me. I want some property and privacy. I don't want neighbors right on top of me. Land has become rather pricey in FL. And of course the change in seasons is another major factor drawing me to NC. Nothing against FL, but I'll take the mountains over the beaches. That's just me.

If anyone else can respond who lives in Hendersonville, NC or a neighboring city I'd love to hear from you. Thanks!

Old 11-23-2006, 09:06 AM

Thanks for the info Liz Ann. I appreciate both you and MrTudo responding. Yeah, I do think we've managed to find a good deal with that house. It's a house not a doublewide, but it will need some work. The kitchen needs renovated and a few other things need taken care of, but I think it's worth the price - especially for the property. So we're willing to invest a bit after the purchase. I certainly couldn't buy anything close to it in FL for that price. I actually received a job offer this week! I'm very excited. It sounds like a very good opportunity for me. Thank you for the info about health care and the schools. I want to be sure to go into this with my eyes wide open.

Old 11-23-2006, 09:52 AM

Kimster, you will not find a house with 2300 sq ft on 3.3 Acres in Hendersonville for under 200K. If that was even remotely posssible I would have bought it and that's only if I could have successfully fought off the others who would be there to do the same

You "might" get a double wide or as they call them in NC, a "manufactured" house on the outskirts, with well water, probably with a buried oil tank right next to the well, in an area that would be considered remote, no cell service, forget about internet etc or I did see one on the last trip that had a lovely view of what appeared to be a migrant worker camp ( yes they are in the area in a big way ).

No, we haven't lived there but have spent 9 trips, at roughly 2 grand a trip to research various areas first hand.....

This question is for Liz, property taxes are being increased? How significant of increases are they? That's been one of their selling points. Hmmmm.

Old 11-23-2006, 09:59 AM

All I can say is, I don't make this stuff up. You guys are certainly making me feel even better about this house we've signed a contract for! I'm starting to think we've found a gem in the rough! Thanks again for all the info. I do appreciate it. Take care and Happy Thanksgiving! Have to run....turkey awaits me!

Old 11-23-2006, 10:21 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
Henderson County Property Tax rate

2006-2007 - 0.5650 per $100

2005-2006 - 0.5150

2004-2005 - 0.4750

2003-2004 - 0.4750

2002-2003 - 0.5000

Old 11-23-2006, 01:29 PM

It always amazes me when outsiders want to know the opinions of locals, when they already have all the answers. They have to live and learn when buying property "under the ether". [/quote]

LOL, so true..............

Old 11-23-2006, 01:44 PM

Thank you Liz Anne.........

Old 11-24-2006, 04:03 PM

As I said, the house needs work - and we're willing to invest money into it because it has great potential, awesome views, and decent acreage away from city life. Plus it's fairly close to my new job. As you said, thorough inspections are a must. If the inspections reveal it's a money pit then we have a clause that will void the contract.

Liz Ann I was truly appreciative of your insight. I needed to know info about the schools, taxes, etc that only locals could provide me. I thought I had expressed my thanks - No, I never professed to have all the answers. Certainly not here to exchange insults or digs with anyone. I thought this was a forum where I could simply find some friendly help. That's all I sought.

Thanks to all who posted info.

Signing Off....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina