Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2021, 06:54 PM

104 posts, read 148,369 times

Advertisements

We wonder about the "political climate" of an area we are hoping to move to.
Diane and I are retiring with very little savings ahead. We have been searching for a quality location with in a scenic region with towns that have a little history, older architecture and more than two restaurants and some things to do. We had visited the Asheville area some time ago and like the feel of the city and the Piedmont western N C. area.
Asheville, sadly, is beyond our budget. There are livable homes for sale we could afford (Under $140,000) in Lenoir, Hickory and Morganton. We are kayakers and have owned small sailboats. The nearby lakes and water ways would provide us opportunity for some paddling recreation. Morganton would be our first choice based on population size, and proximity to Asheville. Lenoir has the best value in real estate. Hickory is a larger city then we'd like, but we could live in one of the areas a few miles out of town. The city offers a lot.

POLITICS! It has become a dirty world these days. In most things we would describe ourselves as Moderates. We don't worry about being too liberal or too conservative to be comfortable in a new community. My rule is to not make a big deal about what candidates I favor, what laws the congress passes, etc. I do have my opinions, but I see no reason to advertise my political beliefs, or religious beliefs, for that matter. Live and Let Live seems a reasonable standard. But we've looked at some towns, (not in North Carolina) with residents who were outspoken about not wanting any Left-wing New Yorkers moving into their communities. No problem there. Count us out.
We are not Left-wing Liberals. First, I've lived in rural Washington State for a large part of my adult life. My children and Grandchildren still live in the Northwest. Diane grew up in small saltwater towns like
Bayville and Oyster Bay NY where we are currenty living.
I'd appreciate any responses regarding the area of Morganton/Hickory/Lenoir as related to the "political climate" and feeling accepted in these communities.
Thanks.

Albert and Diane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2021, 08:15 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
While these are red areas, NC is not as extreme red as TN or SC. As long as you don't mind living around political conservatives, I doubt politics would be a problem, and you can probably find like-minded people there.

Old 05-24-2021, 08:43 AM

104 posts, read 148,369 times
Thank you Senior Member.
We will be traveling to the area in a few weeks to take a look around. From the online real estate listings we've looked at the last few months there are many attractive areas rural and semi-rural with homes we like. Having lived in several regions of the U.S. I find that good people can be found at both ends of the political spectrum. To my mind the barbecue sauce on the ribs counts for more than one's political leanings. We look forward to becoming residents of your lovely area...and I do favor the tangy North Carolina style BBQ sauce over the sweeter, Kansas style. See you when we have our first cook-out.

Old 05-24-2021, 11:58 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Having traveled around and researched Western NC for a while in prep for eventual semi-retirement/retirement there I would suggest Morganton over the other two. It seems more open to change and as such more progressive in terms of folks melding together. Downtown Morganton is transforming and attracting artists/creative class individuals opening new businesses and has a touch of an Asheville feel minus the extreme left politics.

Old 05-24-2021, 01:42 PM

23,810 posts, read 34,654,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambrichard View Post
We wonder about the "political climate" of an area we are hoping to move to.
Diane and I are retiring with very little savings ahead. We have been searching for a quality location with in a scenic region with towns that have a little history, older architecture and more than two restaurants and some things to do. We had visited the Asheville area some time ago and like the feel of the city and the Piedmont western N C. area.
Asheville, sadly, is beyond our budget. There are livable homes for sale we could afford (Under $140,000) in Lenoir, Hickory and Morganton. We are kayakers and have owned small sailboats. The nearby lakes and water ways would provide us opportunity for some paddling recreation. Morganton would be our first choice based on population size, and proximity to Asheville. Lenoir has the best value in real estate. Hickory is a larger city then we'd like, but we could live in one of the areas a few miles out of town. The city offers a lot.

POLITICS! It has become a dirty world these days. In most things we would describe ourselves as Moderates. We don't worry about being too liberal or too conservative to be comfortable in a new community. My rule is to not make a big deal about what candidates I favor, what laws the congress passes, etc. I do have my opinions, but I see no reason to advertise my political beliefs, or religious beliefs, for that matter. Live and Let Live seems a reasonable standard. But we've looked at some towns, (not in North Carolina) with residents who were outspoken about not wanting any Left-wing New Yorkers moving into their communities. No problem there. Count us out.
We are not Left-wing Liberals. First, I've lived in rural Washington State for a large part of my adult life. My children and Grandchildren still live in the Northwest. Diane grew up in small saltwater towns like
Bayville and Oyster Bay NY where we are currenty living.
I'd appreciate any responses regarding the area of Morganton/Hickory/Lenoir as related to the "political climate" and feeling accepted in these communities.
Thanks.

Albert and Diane
Look up the 2 US representatives involved. I've been in both districts without moving. While I don't care for either, I find that he's less objectionable than she is, and I'm moderate.

ETA: the surnames are Foxx and McHenry.

Last edited by southbound_295; 05-24-2021 at 02:03 PM..

Old 05-24-2021, 03:04 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,319,644 times
I'm not sure that's too helpful, Southbound, because Foxx's constituency includes Boone and that is pretty bright blue even through Foxx is bright red.

Old 05-24-2021, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I'm not sure that's too helpful, Southbound, because Foxx's constituency includes Boone and that is pretty bright blue even through Foxx is bright red.
I've been redistricted to Foxx from McHenry. I'm moderate, came here from South Jersey where my town was gerrymandered into a rural right wing congressional district from the time that I could vote. I voted against that congressman every 2 years and did the same when I came here and found myself in another gerrymandered district with McHenry representing it. In the last shuffle I landed in Foxx's district. I like her less than McHenry.

I'm trying to respect the OP by not going into much detail. Boone is not in their list of possibilities, so I didn't mention it. I don't think that your post was helpful other than you wanted to take a slap at me. I have lived in both districts. I felt that I could be helpful. Have you lived in both districts? Oh, that's right, you take every chance you get to say that you live in Chapel Hill. Why didn't you mention it in this thread?

Old 05-24-2021, 08:00 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,319,644 times
Wasn’t trying to take a slap at you Southbound. My point was that even though Virginia Foxx is very conservative she is still repping for one of the least conservative places in the mountains, Boone, (second to Asheville). I just don’t think you can judge the political climate of a town or city by the house rep. I think it would be more helpful to look at the town government.

We have a family home in Boone for whatever that’s worth.

Old 05-24-2021, 08:30 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,524,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Having traveled around and researched Western NC for a while in prep for eventual semi-retirement/retirement there I would suggest Morganton over the other two. It seems more open to change and as such more progressive in terms of folks melding together. Downtown Morganton is transforming and attracting artists/creative class individuals opening new businesses and has a touch of an Asheville feel minus the extreme left politics.
I agree totally.

Old 05-24-2021, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Wasn’t trying to take a slap at you Southbound. My point was that even though Virginia Foxx is very conservative she is still repping for one of the least conservative places in the mountains, Boone, (second to Asheville). I just don’t think you can judge the political climate of a town or city by the house rep. I think it would be more helpful to look at the town government.

We have a family home in Boone for whatever that’s worth.
I very much think that the OP will get an answer by looking at the representatives, both federal and state. The people are not elected by an occasional town but by all of the people. In fact, Burke County is paired with Cleveland County, where I live, and the result is a very conservative Republican going to Raleigh. When Cleveland County was paired with Rutherford County, the result was a conservative Democrat. Why? Because both Counties have a lot of conservative Democrats, but Burke has more, and they're more conservative. I live in SE Cleveland County, in Kings Mountain, yes the home of Tim Moore, and there is a complete range within the city limits. That is not the case further out in the county. Cleveland and Rutherford are very similar. Burke is more conservative. I live out here. The OP is looking at Morganton. It's in Burke County.

Conversely, I used to go to Hickory a lot to shop at AC Moore. I like Hickory. It's still a conservative place, but it's a fairly diverse city with a fair number of Asians. That district still has Lincoln County. It's extremely red.

My vote would go to Hickory as a nice enough city with a more moderate vibe.

I've also heard good comments on the hospital in Hickory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina