Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2021, 01:04 AM

7 posts, read 8,710 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! Our family of 5 is looking to relocate within NC.Since we already live here we are not looking for info on climate, jobs, or housing. We can do those searches online I am hoping to get more current info and insight about Rutherford County and the surrounding areas. Deeper info than I can find on a google search or from the chamber of commerce! Here is the background info on us! Like I said we are a family of 5. Three kids ages 10,9,5. Homeschoolers, so the school system is not a top priority to us. Although a place with a good homeschool community would be wonderful. We currently are in the Raleigh area, and have been here our whole married lives (14 years) as this is where the job was when he first graduated college. Now we both frankly are over the overgrown megatropolis that the area is. Yes, there are a few things we enjoy about the area, but the crazy traffic, and housing developments that are being plopped down on every single available piece of land is getting old, and just isn't our speed. There is nothing holding us here. Plus, it is not scenic at all! We are looking to go closer to WNC, my parents are retired and currently live in the Piedmont. They are not set on staying in their current town and would be open to moving to an area closer to where we relocate to as we want to be closer to them. Luckily their desires are very much similar to ours.

What all of us really want is an area that is scenic, family friendly and will provide us with an easily accessible abundance of recreational activities. I grew up in SE Ohio, and the NC Piedmont. DH grew up in Burlington but, went to college in WNC, so we just love areas that are pretty to look at! They relax us and we as a family are very outdoorsy and enjoy hiking, camping, kayaking, swimming in lakes, exploring creeks, and rivers for swimming holes, and some mountain bike paths. With kids we love Parks, playgrounds, splash pads, and greenways. (That is one nice thing about this area is that there are lots of parks) Family Friendly indoor activities are desirable too. We like bowling and exploring Museums, particularly kid and science museums. We usually have yearly memberships to museums and the NC zoo. Those are not everyday trips though so we don't mind a bit of a drive to get to them. (I know that most of those type things would be the ones in WS. Another must have on our list that we wouldn't want a long drive too is a great library! As homeschoolers we visit the library A LOT, sometimes even a couple of times a week, and our currently library is awesome. They have wonderful children's programs, and community events, and of course lots of books. Which I know most of the libraries are part of the NC Cardinal program so you can get books from about anywhere, but sometimes the wait is kind of long. We have no desire for nightlife outside of a few good family friendly restaurants that are more than your typical fast food. We also desire places with seasonal activities such as pick your own farms for fruit, Pumpkin patches for fall,farmers markets, and movies in the park. We also need an area with reasonable recreational activities for our kids in the way of Park and Rec league sports, we have played them all but currently baseball is of top priority for my sons, dance and softball for my daughter. They also are all scouts. So finding cub scout and girl scout troops will be another factor.

Since we live in NC we try to visit or have vacationed in areas of interest! Two summers ago pre covid, we did visit Rutherford, Henderson and Transylvania counties for a few days when DH had a job he applied for. It was beautiful!! Sadly, that job didn't work out. But, recently more have opened up in his field we liked the area so we have put the Rutherford county area back on the short list of possibilities. I cross posted this to the Triad thread as the other area that we really are considering is Yadkin County. Sorry this got a little long! We really know what we want, we just seem to have trouble finding it! Any thoughts or insight from locals is appreciated! If you know where we can find our unicorn please speak up. We are open to suggestions if it fits our needs! Limited by our budget, which is Less than $280K with at least 1/2 an acre, and must not be a cookie cutter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2021, 01:39 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,319,644 times
Is it accurate to say you are more interested in foothills locations (Yadkin Co, Rutherfordton) than the mountains?

Old 05-25-2021, 02:11 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,030,487 times
You are definitely looking for a unicorn, but I wish you luck.

My quick search only turned up this one:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...36560004_zpid/

Old 05-25-2021, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Is it accurate to say you are more interested in foothills locations (Yadkin Co, Rutherfordton) than the mountains?

Poppydog at the moment yes, because those are the locations that have open job positions that interest my husband. We wouldn't move without a job secured for him. But we also would hate to accept a job, without doing all the leg work we can! I reached out just to use this as another tool to compliment my research I have already done. I mostly wanted to know from people that live in those locations if they enjoy the area, and think a family like ours that is looking for the type of activities I mentioned would find them in those areas. I mean I have scoured the city and towns websites, I have watched you tube videos on different towns when available. We have visited the areas, or in some cases even vacationed in them. But, I know that living in an area full time is much different than a visit. So I was hoping for a few honest opinions and thoughts about the areas based on day to day living information not just the local stats that I can find doing a basic google search.

Old 05-26-2021, 02:06 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
There are a few lisitngs in/around Rutherfordton that fit your criteria. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-200000-280000

You'll get more bang for your buck in Yadkin County and also much better proximity to things to do in Winston Salem.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-200000-280000

Old 05-27-2021, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
There are a few lisitngs in/around Rutherfordton that fit your criteria. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-200000-280000

You'll get more bang for your buck in Yadkin County and also much better proximity to things to do in Winston Salem.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-200000-280000

Yes Kyle I agree there is more bang for our buck to be had in the the Yadkin area. That is another draw for that area! I have done a lot of real estate watching in both areas over the last year or so and we even looked at a few houses during one of our visits to the area. Do you live in one of these areas? Would you be able to provide insight to more of the day to day amenities? Thanks for your reply.

Old 05-27-2021, 03:03 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher82 View Post
Yes Kyle I agree there is more bang for our buck to be had in the the Yadkin area. That is another draw for that area! I have done a lot of real estate watching in both areas over the last year or so and we even looked at a few houses during one of our visits to the area. Do you live in one of these areas? Would you be able to provide insight to more of the day to day amenities? Thanks for your reply.
I don't live there yet but have spent years (close to five at this point) heavily researching and visiting in preparation for my move. Instead of relegating yourself to an area further out away from day to day amenities, I would recommend looking on the west side of Winston Salem in areas like Lewisville or Pfafftown that are low-density with homes on larger lots and family-friendly with a lot of activities for the kids (and adults) in close proximity. Even if home-schooling it's good to know the schools in that area are largely "A" rated. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...81,12&qdm=true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina